• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts on the Lions game.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to get it out of the way right now. The officials sucked in this game, right from the start. Calling a False Start on the 49ers because Walker goes in motion and the Lions guy jumps offsides? That pretty much set the tone for the officials all trying to one-up each other with crappy calls. I don't really care about that Burelson catch being ruled a TD, because at this point, I have no idea what a catch is anymore. I think that should be a TD with his feet down, but my interpretation of the rules is that it's not a TD because they've ruled situations similar to that as incomplete passes... so, whatever with that one (Plus, it didn't end up making the final score a 49ers loss). They gave the 49ers a few too, like that weird horsecollar and the chopblock one, so it wasn't a one-sided suckfest by the officials.

Frank Gore was the man today, he was the offense. Without him this probably would have been an ugly loss. He's making me feel guilty for being so hard on him after the first three games. Alex Smith is starting to slip, he's throwing those high dangerous balls again and luckily only one of them was intercepted. Smith's performance took a bit of a hit because Crabtree didn't get his 2nd foot down and Walker somehow dropped that open TD. So as bad as Alex Smith was, you throw in that missed opportunity and it would probably have been easier to forgive his inaccuracy this game. Alex Smith needs to seriously focus on this over the bye.

The offensive line played good today too, if you turn a blind eye to all of the false starts and illegal formations. Apart from the penalties they did well, only 2 sacks and 6 QB hits... plus opening up some big lanes for Gore and Hunter. Sando says that Snyder was injured sometime in this game with a stinger with Rachal taking his place. Props to Rachal for playing well enough that I didn't even notice he was playing with his usual false starts, holding and horrible blocking. They did a hell of a job of not getting intimidated by the Lions tricks on D-Line, and Anthony Davis did a good job of not getting caught up in their attempts to draw flags from him as they kept hitting him down well after the play was over.

Biggest praise for the defense. They played great today with all things considered. They kind of hamstrung themselves by putting so much attention towards Megatron, but it paid off with Stafford not even looking his way in their four? redzone trips. That's a hell of a thing to trick a team into going away from their best weapon. First team to hold Megatron without a TD this year, and the two TDs they did allow could have easily gone the other way. Willis nearly got his hand up to block the Pettigrew TD, and that Burelson TD was nearly a dodged bullet because he didn't keep possession all the way through. The pass rush was phenomenal again. 2 sacks for Aldon, one a safety and the other a FF.. damn! 1.5 sacks for Justin Smith, .5 sack for Ray Mac with a deflected pass and he deserves as much credit for the safety as Aldon does. Some missed opportunities for the defense, Aldon dropping the INT and not being quick enough to capitalize on Aldon's forced fumble.

Willis and Bowman were great as expected. Did a good job of shutting down those short passes to the TEs and to Best and punishing those guys when they did catch it, which led to a few drive killing drops on 2nd and 3rd down when they heard the footsteps. With so much focus on Megatron, it was up to Willis and Bowman to take away the middle and short passes... and they succeeded.

Nice job by the special teams again. Great on coverage. Lee and Akers are money. Ginn makes some questionable decisions, but, with his explosiveness.. I don't mind that he takes the kicks out even if he doesn't get back to the 20, just because most of the time he does.. and there is always that chance that he can break it for the score. Great job on punt returns too, he put the offense in some great positions to start their drive through the game.

Great gameplan by the coaches on both sides of the ball. The blocking schemes they used to take Suh out of the game were a thing of beauty. The announcers even commented once that Suh was getting confused and hesitating his passrush because he wasn't sure if it was going to be a running play a few times. Not much complaint with the defensive scheme, it worked very well.

It's great to go into the bye with a win over the previously undefeated Lions.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair and accurate summary. To me, neither team played their best game. But winning when you don't play your best shows me something about the team's character, especially on the road. Going into our bye....

Seattle (2-3) W
Cincy (4-2) W, second place in their division
Dallas (2-3) L
Philly (2-4) W
Tampa Bay (4-2) W, tied for first in their division
Detroit (5-1) W

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The good thing is that Smith has two weeks to try and correct this problem. Good point though that the Crabtree ball and Walker drop could/should have both been TDs. I'd add that their defense is going to keep them in a lot of games and is a playoff caliber defense. Teams cannot run on the 49ers with Willis and Bowman in there and Culliver and Rogers have really helped the pass coverage.

Too many stupid penatlties though and Goldson made the second most stupid play I've ever seen a professional football player make.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the deep ball Ginn stumbled on that was a nice throw that prolly should have been caught.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Smith was off so much as he really only had 1 receiver... Hopefully getting Edwards back should help.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith had some good throws that should have been caught. And then he had a few that made you think old Alex is back. But 6 games in... Alex has been much improved in 5 of 6 and he did make the clutch throw today when it mattered most.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My thoughts:

*Most exciting win in a long time. Last week was maybe more enjoyable, but this one was close all the way. Amazing they pulled it with all the mistakes. In addition to the penalites, the dropped passes were back after not showing up last week.

*Alex had a poor game and they still won. He clutched up and got the winning TD though. Good thing Delaney caught that one.

*Frank Gore may not be washed up yet. LOL.

*Special teams are very special: Ginn, Akers, and Lee were all extremely important to the win.

*Where did the deeper passing game go???? Last week we burned TB with and this week it was almost non-existent. The pass rush made a difference but still they did not really try to go downfield much. And where was Vernon.

*5-1. Whodathunkit. Sweet.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Smith was off so much as he really only had 1 receiver... Hopefully getting Edwards back should help.

So Smith was throwing high because he was trying to hit Edwards and Morgan on the sideline?

Makes sense.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to ESPN Stats and Info we only rushed more than 4 on 1 Detroit snap all game.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN Stats and Info we only rushed more than 4 on 1 Detroit snap all game.

I read that as well. I don't doubt the stat but it's kind of hard to believe....for some reason.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot some stuff, man these thought threads are difficult.

That kicking the ball penalty was incredibly stupid of Goldson, although that is a really tickytack interpretation of the rule in my opinion. I think the intent is to prevent guys from kicking the ball away in the 2 minute drill or hurry up offense, not kicking the ball on a big defensive stop. All the same it's the rules, so it's a fair penalty against the 49ers.

I can't believe I left out praise for Alex, for putting together the game winning drive with a game winning TD pass on 4th and goal, that was pretty damn ninja of him. How trollish of me, haha. Can't wait for Edwards to come back and help strengthen a weak passing game. So as bleak as the passing game was today, there is at least hope that it can get better once it gets healthy... and with 2 weeks of practice for Smith and Crabtree to work out their issues there is a good chance that they can improve as well.

How far along has this team come? Damn. A ton of penalties, with an interception and a fumble by Alex Smith, with a guy dropping a TD? On the road, against a 5-0 team?? A year ago, this is a 40 point loss. This year, the defense is pretty much erasing the offense's mistakes and weakness'. It's really amazing how much difference a good coaching staff makes over an incompetent one.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Crabtree catch needs to be reviewed in the off-season for a rule change. He got 2 feet down in bounds and even made a football move to lunge the ball over the goal line. He established just as much possession as Burleson did on the TD. Anyway 2 feet down should be the same as getting both feet down.

That was probably the ugliest yet most satisfying win I can remember. I was still trying to calm my nerves and emotions 2 hours after the game was over.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot some stuff, man these thought threads are difficult.

That kicking the ball penalty was incredibly stupid of Goldson, although that is a really tickytack interpretation of the rule in my opinion. I think the intent is to prevent guys from kicking the ball away in the 2 minute drill or hurry up offense, not kicking the ball on a big defensive stop. All the same it's the rules, so it's a fair penalty against the 49ers.

I can't believe I left out praise for Alex, for putting together the game winning drive with a game winning TD pass on 4th and goal, that was pretty damn ninja of him. How trollish of me, haha. Can't wait for Edwards to come back and help strengthen a weak passing game. So as bleak as the passing game was today, there is at least hope that it can get better once it gets healthy... and with 2 weeks of practice for Smith and Crabtree to work out their issues there is a good chance that they can improve as well.

How far along has this team come? Damn. A ton of penalties, with an interception and a fumble by Alex Smith, with a guy dropping a TD? On the road, against a 5-0 team?? A year ago, this is a 40 point loss. This year, the defense is pretty much erasing the offense's mistakes and weakness'. It's really amazing how much difference a good coaching staff makes over an incompetent one.

Word for word, kid. Word for word.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Crabtree catch needs to be reviewed in the off-season for a rule change. He got 2 feet down in bounds and even made a football move to lunge the ball over the goal line. He established just as much possession as Burleson did on the TD. Anyway 2 feet down should be the same as getting both feet down.

That was probably the ugliest yet most satisfying win I can remember. I was still trying to calm my nerves and emotions 2 hours after the game was over.

Ugly? Yes. Ugliest? No. Regardless, it was a win over an undefeated team in their house.

Boom. How'd that taste, Detroit? See you in the WC round. Wait...

...no we won't. You won't make the divisional playoff. Sorry.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the last few years our pass rush has been garbage and now we have been on the money pretty much all year

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've noticed a lot of smith's throws to crabtree this year have basically been from the neck up. he seems to hit every other wr a lot lower, i'm wondering if there's a reason for that. there must be something behind the scenes. it was really noticeable today because edwards and morgan are down.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the last few years our pass rush has been garbage and now we have been on the money pretty much all year

Let me tell you, they came to play and played every snap well. That's the kind of pressure I want to see(more finishes though).

Stafford did not look comfy at all(even some media experts suggested such)...

For those stat seekers, compared to the QB hurries, hits, pressure, sacks etc... we threw today, what was the most the Det offense seen before this game this year?

now, go!