• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts about World Series game 6

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I should say in advance, I'm not a baseball guy. Call me a grudge-holder, but I haven't watched an entire game of baseball since we were screwed out of maybe the greatest season of baseball in history by a bunch of greedy millionaires. I check the standings to see how my Reds are doing, and keep tabs on what some of the players that I like are doing, and to see if the Yankees lose. Other than that, I really couldn't care less. There are a lot of current players that I don't recognize when I see a stat sheet or a Sportscenter highlight, and I don't bother to learn much about them afterwords. Baseball isn't important to me.
Last night, as my wife went to bed, I happened to see that Game 6 of the World Series was in the 9th inning, and the Rangers were 3 outs away from winning its first championship, so I flipped it over to catch the end. Now, as I said, I don't care much about it anymore, but watching a guy I had never heard of named Freese slap a triple off the wall, with 2 outs, 2 strikes, and his hometown crowd watching, I got sucked into the drama. The game went to the 10th inning, and again, down to their last out, the Cardinals came through, sending it to an unbelievable 11th inning. In the bottom of the inning, the hometown kid came up again, and this time ended it with a titanic shot to straightaway center field. I was surprised to find myself rising off the couch as the ball made contact, and even more surprised at the goosebumps I got as he rounded the bases, a 2-time hero within 3 crazy innnings.
David Freese was raised in the St. Louis area, and even went to St Louis Community College for a season. I can't fathom how it must have felt, standing at the plate, with the season on the line, 2 outs, 2 strikes, in the city you grew up in, and coming through like that. Every kid dreams of the situation, and Freese got to live it out more than once last night. He also, at least for one night, made me a baseball fan again. So, appropriately, for a kid who grew up in St Louis, who plays in Busch Stadium, let me say, David Freese, this Bud's for you.