• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My take on this loss

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome to our world, until, so far, this year. that post could have been on an OU board about any time in the previous couple of years.

Lincoln Riley has made a huge difference being the OC and calling the plays and maybe, just maybe, Mike being up in the press box, has made a difference in the D.

We'll see....

Im afraid our situations are similar but different in that we have a very good OC as well except... he is the HC. You put Dana under a HC that pays very close attention to details and demands your best at every phase of the game (like not fielding punts inside the 10 yrd line) and you are going to have a very good football team imo. Now, that said Dana as HC?...... Well its year 5 and we are seeing mistakes and problems on the field that should have been addressed and eliminated 3-4 years ago. It looks to me like Dana is just too laid back to be a championship level HC, not terrible mind you, fun offense and prob bowl games on the regular but middle of the pack in conference is prob his ceiling imo.

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im afraid our situations are similar but different in that we have a very good OC as well except... he is the HC. You put Dana under a HC that pays very close attention to details and demands your best at every phase of the game (like not fielding punts inside the 10 yrd line) and you are going to have a very good football team imo. Now, that said Dana as HC?...... Well its year 5 and we are seeing mistakes and problems on the field that should have been addressed and eliminated 3-4 years ago. It looks to me like Dana is just too laid back to be a championship level HC, not terrible mind you, fun offense and prob bowl games on the regular but middle of the pack in conference is prob his ceiling imo.
GR I agree with what you have said, and it got me thinking. What are those intangibles that championship coaches possess? I do see an intensity in those coaches that I do not see elsewhere, but what else. Anyone care to opine?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the only thing championship coaches have in common is the ability to bring in multiple top 10 recruiting classes.

No matter how much a coach works with his kids... how much preparation is put into practice... kids have to make plays.

Saban is one of the greatest coaches of all-time... not just of this generation of coaches. No one prepares more... spends more time on attention to detail... as Saban. Yet... in their game against Ole Miss earlier this year, they had 5 TO's... made ST mistakes... and watched their secondary get burned at times. The secondary has been very good for a few years now.

Urban Meyer has won NC's at two different schools. Last year, tOSU made a remarkable run through the B1G Championship and CFP. They have a ton of talent back this year and were unanimous favorites to win another NC this year. Their team looks like shit. When he left UF, he left them a mess that they're just starting to clean up.

Gene Chizik is now the DC for UNC.

Like Wheat said, WVU's issues are no different than OU's issues.

They simply have better players...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GR I agree with what you have said, and it got me thinking. What are those intangibles that championship coaches possess? I do see an intensity in those coaches that I do not see elsewhere, but what else. Anyone care to opine?
Like Gold said, a great amount of attention is given to details, beginning in the weight room. When Fraud was our coach, he was involved intimately with every facet of the game, every coach, every player. He demanded tip top physical condition, and excellence from everyone that had any job to do. When I watch games on Saturdays, the great coaches are coaching at ALL times, the great coaches are 100% involved, I see Holgorsen coaching when we are on offense, but it is like he just doesnt care when we are on D. I have seen improvement in some things, but there has been none in other areas. I still do not see player development, I see kids getting better because of age and experience, but I do not see the kids understanding the game any better as seniors than as freshmen, when juniors and seniors are fielding punts at the five, bringing kickoffs out from 7 yards deep in the endzone, missing blocks by a mile, we have coaching problems.