• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My solution to the Extra point

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem I'd have with your proposal is that we're putting even more power into the kicker. This is a team sport so why are we trying to make one guy on the team god? The QB already has a lot of influence on a game but the kicker would be even more important as week in week out he'd be deciding games. I don't want the kicker to be the MVP of every team or even the league!

At the same point I don't want to get rid of the kicker as FG's can be exciting at times but why are we so worried about fruitless 1 pt conversions as they're boring? I'd actually prefer to see more 2 pt conversions as its far more exciting nothing like goal line plays! So if everyone has such a hard on for a kick after a TD then I'd prefer they move it back to make it harder and give teams something to think about going for more 2 pt conversions.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it should be kept the same... But i fear that it wont... And if they do decide to change, i hate the 2 proposals i have heard...

One takes away kicking all together
and the other weakens makes it more logical to go for the 2 point conversion(similar odds)

if we change it to one of those then we are taking away half the importance of the kicker, which makes me wonder if that means the next step is to take away field goal kicking all together...

If they do change it, then I like my proposal best of the the 3 options, because it makes the kicker more important... And that will make it more important to get a good kicker...

Once again, i hope they dont change... I am just playing the if they do change the rule game...

Your proposal is distance last of the options provided.

MrNLM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am gonna approach this at a different angle.

I think this proposal to change the extra point is a way to green light the abolishing of the kickoff.

If they can change the extra point, rendering Kickers useless to the SCORE of the game... why pay them to kick the ball away?

Two birds, one stone.

I think it is gonna happen. I don't know when but, I stand by my word.

Your idea of the tiered point system for kickers is intriguing but, ultimately I think it will make kickers an expensive priority much sooner than later. Imagine all the games that naturally occur the way we know the game now... a kicker hits the PAT to send the game into overtime. Now, Imagine those same games where the kicker has the chance to win it all for his team with a 2 point 45 yard attempt. Kickers will begin demanding more money and considering the longevity of the position... I doubt the NFL would be willing to pay the money.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right nlm. The league has already hinted they may one day eliminate kick offs because of the injury concerns

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason it is now being debated on if the NFL should abolish it or change it...

I have a solution i want to see what other people think about it...

The proposal:

There is no 2 point conversions... You must kick the ball

The coach has the option to place the ball for the kicker at 3 different lengths

1 point for a 30 Yarder
2 points for a 45 yarder
3 points for a 60 yarder

Penalties can still push the ball back or up, but the points wont change... for example if a team decides to kick a 45 yarder, and the other team commits a penalty to make it a 30 yarder the team still gets 2 points... Same is true if the ball is moved back...

The 2 things that this proposal does, is now it is possible to score 9 points on a drive... That will allow teams to come back easier, and make more excitement to games...

It will also make the extra point less automatic, but the one point is still very easy to do...

This makes the XP too powerful. It's also unnecessarily overcomplicated. The biggest issue the NFL is seeing with the XP is that people are watching the TD, then skipping over the XP to go watch possibly other games or (gasp) a non-football channel. :eek:

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason it is now being debated on if the NFL should abolish it or change it...

I have a solution i want to see what other people think about it...

The proposal:

There is no 2 point conversions... You must kick the ball

The coach has the option to place the ball for the kicker at 3 different lengths

1 point for a 30 Yarder
2 points for a 45 yarder
3 points for a 60 yarder

Penalties can still push the ball back or up, but the points wont change... for example if a team decides to kick a 45 yarder, and the other team commits a penalty to make it a 30 yarder the team still gets 2 points... Same is true if the ball is moved back...

The 2 things that this proposal does, is now it is possible to score 9 points on a drive... That will allow teams to come back easier, and make more excitement to games...

It will also make the extra point less automatic, but the one point is still very easy to do...

I'm not against moving it back, that would be the easiest way to keep it in the game...but here's a couple of other options;

Keep it at the 2 yd line, but it must be punted.
Move the punt location back as well, 10 yd line or 15. 20 even.
Even harder would be, must be punted by the QB, which would then the defense would never know - 1 pt punt or 2 pt throw.

I am against removing it from the game and just award 7 points.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roger does not read the SportsHoopla??

I'm almost sure of that but if you do some research you may find a way to get it in the head of the right person that could present it before the competition committee....I'm just thinking out loud, but the worst that could happen is you fail....Never know unless you try tho..:noidea:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, now the team with the best kicker wins every game. Would love to watch NFL games where two teams match each other TD for TD but one has a great kicker and the other doesn't.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should just leave the thing alone. It's fine how it is, why mess with it?

i don't think it needs to be changed but if they do:

only two options

1. two point conversion (as it is now)
2. 50 yard FG for 3 points

i'd rather it stay the same, but any solution should be simple and increase the excitement

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it. A 30 yarder is nothing. I'd rather watch a 2 point run or pass attempt than a 45 yard kick. A 3 point try would be a rarity if the downside is 0 if he misses from 60. Going for 2 is always more interesting to watch than a FG attempt unless the guy is going for a record or something. FG kickers have their place but I'm not in favor of giving them even more importance. I like the idea of keeping it the way it is with the exception of moving the kick back to where it would make going for 2 a more attractive option.

that would be a simple solution for those who feel a change is needed

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it should be kept the same... But i fear that it wont... And if they do decide to change, i hate the 2 proposals i have heard...

One takes away kicking all together
and the other weakens makes it more logical to go for the 2 point conversion(similar odds)

if we change it to one of those then we are taking away half the importance of the kicker, which makes me wonder if that means the next step is to take away field goal kicking all together...

If they do change it, then I like my proposal best of the the 3 options, because it makes the kicker more important... And that will make it more important to get a good kicker...

Once again, i hope they dont change... I am just playing the if they do change the rule game...

I don't think you need to worry about them every doing away with FGs. Those 3 pointers are too important and a worthy reward for penetrating the opponent's territory. But extra points as they currently exist can go, imo.