• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My observations from yesterdays game

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am losing patience with Foles but replace him with mr butt fumble? not going to happen, at least not permanently . Chip isn't going to do that unless Foles gets hurt. I think we all need to relax a little, we didn't lose that game yesterday solely because of Foles, Was he part of the issue, sure he was, but once again he put his team in a position to win the game at the end, he handed over to the defense a 3 point lead with less than 2 minutes left to play. When they failed he almost pulled it out again.
I put a lot of this loss on Kelly, his failure to review plays cost his team 8 points, 4 points in the first quarter when Zona scored a TD, four points when he failed to review Polks TD that was spotted wrong. His play calling yesterday wasn't the greatest. 62 passes is way too many.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles hated Lazor because Lazor kept pushing him hard to do better which is one of the reasons he isn't here. Musgrave.....????

Right, it had zero to do with Miami giving him an OC gig. It was all a plan contrived by a lazy Nick Foles. :rollseyes:

DJ4040

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty amazing how much heat Foles is taking these days. The guy is not even 2 years into a starting QB role and had an amazing first season followed by the predictable growing pains many knew were coming. This city and fan base are always so quick to jump ship on players and resort to castoff scrubs to keep that ship afloat.

It's pretty obvious Foles is feeling the effects of three things. First, the natural progression of a young QB in this league. He is fighting mechanical and decision issues, both of which would be addressed by a competent QB coach. We've seen what he can do in the past, it's up to the coaching staff to guide him back.

Second, the O-line being busted up resulting in 0 running game has been a killer. This offense is based on the run and sets up the pass. If we don't run the ball effectively we lose. You can't expect a QB with a year of experience to carry the load even in a Chip Kelly offense when there is no running game.

Last, when we finally get 3/5 of our O-line back Foles is throwing the ball over 60 times. There are not to many QB's in this league that can throw the ball 60 something times and not turn it over at some point. We could've easily run the ball more yesterday and set up the pass. Kelly's play calling is definitely hurting Foles and it's time to use perhaps the league's most dangerous RB a little more.

In spite of the above, I'm not ready to give Foles 100 mill until I see some of these issues resolved. IMO we're seriously wasting a very good QB talent with inadequate QB coaching and poor play calling and it's clouding whether or not we should invest in this guy long term.

As far as the rest of the team, I love the way they play. If we get Cary Williams and Nate Allen out of here and replace them with competent/instinctive players, I think this defense will be pretty damn good in another year.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that. Good post. Only part where I disagree is that I think Shady needs to give up carries to Polk. We need to see what someone else can do with these looks, someone who always gains positive yards that are there to be had, even if they don't break the long ones. Foles needs this consistency to be in better down and distance situations as a young QB.

ErkTheJerk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles hated Lazor because Lazor kept pushing him hard to do better which is one of the reasons he isn't here. Musgrave.....????

LOL! I don't think Foles has the ability to hate anyone.

Do you have anything to back this up? :scratch:

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing about Foles is they don't have to give him a contract this year, he is signed for next year under his rookie contract. Now after next year then you have to deal with it, by that point you will have a real picture of what he is.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he's still basicalla rookie QB, but he has very bad mechanics, and after starting about 16 games or more, by now he should have learned something. i am a fan, but I doubt now if he will ever be more than a journeyman QB. And I still think that Lazor was the reason + Chip's offense that he had such a great year last year.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been saying for a bit now...Foles is a pussy and is scared in the pocket even when no one is around him.

Not sure that has anything to do with the OL (as they haven't been half as bad as people want to say, for pass protection anyways) or being a 2nd year guy. Just a scared puss I think.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible spot on the Polk run -- that should've been a first down…..At that point we had nothing to lose to at least challenge the play which actually had some decent camera views. I know those calls are had dot overturn but it worth a shot.

3rd and inches on the half yard line…..and we go shotgun!?? I've praised Chip Kelly often this past year and a half but WTF kind of call is that? I don't care if your base offense is shotgun, do your thing….but on 3rd and inches on the half yard line you run shotgun formation?? Foles is 6'5 240lbs, put him behind center and run a simple QB draw. Man that was a terrible call.

We had 2 weeks to prepare for Arizona's blitz happy defense that can be shredded by good offenses…and we did not play well enough. Foles has a lot of work to do and Chip needs better situational offensive calls.

As far as the defense goes….I hated Cary Wiliams before he even hit FA….I hated him more after we signed him, and I hate him more each day. Why isn't Carroll starting over him? Williams needs to be cut (a long time ago) in the off-season and he needs to take Nate Allen with him.

Rant over…..Cost me 2500!! Not happy

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty amazing how much heat Foles is taking these days. The guy is not even 2 years into a starting QB role and had an amazing first season followed by the predictable growing pains many knew were coming. This city and fan base are always so quick to jump ship on players and resort to castoff scrubs to keep that ship afloat.

Problem is that much of what we see with Foles now, is something we have seen from Foles for every single game this season. It is becoming like an Andy Reid press conference out there...

It's pretty obvious Foles is feeling the effects of three things. First, the natural progression of a young QB in this league. He is fighting mechanical and decision issues, both of which would be addressed by a competent QB coach. We've seen what he can do in the past, it's up to the coaching staff to guide him back.

And I would not be surprised if the people seeing a problem with the loss of Bill Lazor from this coaching staff are right to some extent.

Second, the O-line being busted up resulting in 0 running game has been a killer. This offense is based on the run and sets up the pass. If we don't run the ball effectively we lose. You can't expect a QB with a year of experience to carry the load even in a Chip Kelly offense when there is no running game.

And we do not - in fact the busted up O-line was the excuse for Foles for the early weeks of the season (up and including the Washington game). To some extent also the San Fransisco game. Problem is that these last weeks - even against the Giants - the running game is NOT the biggest problem, and neither is/was the O-line.

[/quote]
Last, when we finally get 3/5 of our O-line back Foles is throwing the ball over 60 times. There are not to many QB's in this league that can throw the ball 60 something times and not turn it over at some point. We could've easily run the ball more yesterday and set up the pass. Kelly's play calling is definitely hurting Foles and it's time to use perhaps the league's most dangerous RB a little more.[/quote]

Ahum, the way the Cardinals defense works, it was the defense to pass against. And again, if these had been interceptions - just as against the Giants - where the CB makes a great play, the WR falls down, where there was a tight window, or where the WR drops/tips the ball and it ends up in the hands of a CB, that is one thing. So would be an INT on a Hail Mary. But that is NOT the types of interceptions Foles has been throwing these last two weeks, if not the vast majority of them. Those are interceptions of the 'WTF are you thinking' type, drive killers, hole diggers.

Becoming equally problematic IMHO is his tendency to NOT step up in the pocket (but running into pressure) and his refusal to set his feet. These WTF interceptions as well as his back-foot passing for no good reason is what cost us the game, no if's or buts.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4Life:
Long time, friend!
I also would like Carroll, and think that he and another good FA will be the CBs starting next year. They'd better draft a CB and S in the 1st 2 rounds next year. You know that Chip would love Ifo Ekpro from Oregon, but don't think they'll pick high enough to get him.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Foles thinks last year was a fluke. Dude just doesnt have enough confidence imo. Not good in pocket. Never steps up. Always running laterally. Too slow for that. He is much better when he iant thinking. Ie late in games when he has to score. Maybe that will change but he isnt getting better. Eli is probably his ceiling.

Chip needs a better OL (not just Kelce/Mathis-Herremans isnt that good) & much better DbS.

That said..we can play with anybody but Denver IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my thoughts....took a couple days to come down. This was a hard loss to swallow.

Nick Foles: I still think he is going to be a very good QB. I may be in the minority here but the issues I see here are fixable. He is in his third year and only is second as a starter. Someone mentioned that he has Kolb issues and I think that is a really bad comparison. Kolb folded like a lawn chair, even after making a mistake Foles comes out firing away. McNabb's last year here was 2009, so from the 2010 draft up til now there have not been many better options available to us than Foles. The only QB drafted since 2010 that I would take over Foles today is Andrew Luck. There are others some may take but the list of good QB's drafted since 2010 is very small (Luck, Newton, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, Bradford, Dalton). I noticed that Foles is throwing off his backfoot more than he is not. Not sure why but is something that can and should be corrected. He has happy feet that is for sure because he is not confident of his offensive line and you will not find a QB out there that would not react the same way if the protection was bad. There are very few options out the better than Foles right now IMO.

Running Game: As the line heals the running game has been better between the twenties. Shady's numbers has been picking up. There is a major glaring weakness in this running game and that we do not have any type of power running and you are not going to get too far in the NFL without some type of power game. It has been killing us in the red zone. One thing I do notice is that CK is a smart coach and I think he adapts. Problem here is that he does not have the personnel to really correct this issue this season but I am sure something will be in place next season.

Offensive Line: I think the offensive line has played well considering the the injuries? It has been how long since we gave up a sack? And for the record, credit for this does not all go to the offensive line. Foles has been getting rid of the ball. Yes he has issues but he does a lot good as well. Back to the line....in the next couple weeks the line should be back to full strength. That should only make us better offensively and hopefully help in correcting the happy feet issue.

Front Seven: The front seven has been a pleasant surprise and playing pretty decent with Kendricks out.

The Secondary: IMO is arguably the worst secondary in the NFL. The fact that we still have Allen as start given how bad he was last year is a sign that the front office and coaching staff did not find the need for safety a priority. Yes we signed Jenkins but the entire secondary needed a complete overhaul. Cary Williams is just complete garbage and is often burned. He of course will blame it on practices but the bottom line is that he sucks. The secondary had to be a priority in the off season.

Receivers: I do not think we miss Djax as much as others do. I thought he was a one trick pony. Yes he stretched defenses but he was useless in the red zone. I do think receiver is a need though. I want the Eagles to get a Dez Bryant/Megatron type receiver.

Chip Kelly: I think that he underestimated the NFL. I think he believed a lot of what he did in college would work here easily. I have noticed that he adapts and learns as he goes. He is not completely stuck on his way only and adjusts his game plans to the game itself.

Billy Davis: I think he has done a really good job with the defense players. Give him a just a halfway decent secondary and we would all be amazed at how good the defense becomes.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my thoughts....took a couple days to come down. This was a hard loss to swallow.

Nick Foles: I still think he is going to be a very good QB. I may be in the minority here but the issues I see here are fixable. He is in his third year and only is second as a starter. Someone mentioned that he has Kolb issues and I think that is a really bad comparison. Kolb folded like a lawn chair, even after making a mistake Foles comes out firing away. McNabb's last year here was 2009, so from the 2010 draft up til now there have not been many better options available to us than Foles. The only QB drafted since 2010 that I would take over Foles today is Andrew Luck. There are others some may take but the list of good QB's drafted since 2010 is very small (Luck, Newton, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, Bradford, Dalton). I noticed that Foles is throwing off his backfoot more than he is not. Not sure why but is something that can and should be corrected. He has happy feet that is for sure because he is not confident of his offensive line and you will not find a QB out there that would not react the same way if the protection was bad. There are very few options out the better than Foles right now IMO.

Running Game: As the line heals the running game has been better between the twenties. Shady's numbers has been picking up. There is a major glaring weakness in this running game and that we do not have any type of power running and you are not going to get too far in the NFL without some type of power game. It has been killing us in the red zone. One thing I do notice is that CK is a smart coach and I think he adapts. Problem here is that he does not have the personnel to really correct this issue this season but I am sure something will be in place next season.

Offensive Line: I think the offensive line has played well considering the the injuries? It has been how long since we gave up a sack? And for the record, credit for this does not all go to the offensive line. Foles has been getting rid of the ball. Yes he has issues but he does a lot good as well. Back to the line....in the next couple weeks the line should be back to full strength. That should only make us better offensively and hopefully help in correcting the happy feet issue.

Front Seven: The front seven has been a pleasant surprise and playing pretty decent with Kendricks out.

The Secondary: IMO is arguably the worst secondary in the NFL. The fact that we still have Allen as start given how bad he was last year is a sign that the front office and coaching staff did not find the need for safety a priority. Yes we signed Jenkins but the entire secondary needed a complete overhaul. Cary Williams is just complete garbage and is often burned. He of course will blame it on practices but the bottom line is that he sucks. The secondary had to be a priority in the off season.

Receivers: I do not think we miss Djax as much as others do. I thought he was a one trick pony. Yes he stretched defenses but he was useless in the red zone. I do think receiver is a need though. I want the Eagles to get a Dez Bryant/Megatron type receiver.

Chip Kelly: I think that he underestimated the NFL. I think he believed a lot of what he did in college would work here easily. I have noticed that he adapts and learns as he goes. He is not completely stuck on his way only and adjusts his game plans to the game itself.

Billy Davis: I think he has done a really good job with the defense players. Give him a just a halfway decent secondary and we would all be amazed at how good the defense becomes.

I believe that Foles will improve, but not overnight. When you look at P.Manning and Eli during their 1st 4 seasons you can see their struggles as they grew. The same can be said for Elway. Those who are selling Foles short are not being realistic in my opinion. He is on target to pass for over 4,400 yards.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B4Life:
Long time, friend!
I also would like Carroll, and think that he and another good FA will be the CBs starting next year. They'd better draft a CB and S in the 1st 2 rounds next year. You know that Chip would love Ifo Ekpro from Oregon, but don't think they'll pick high enough to get him.

Hey old duke! I've been caught up with work and haven't been on the computer much. We definitely need to address CB and S in the off-season; draft or FA, or both. I'm really encouraged with the play of the front 7 and I think we have some real nice depth on the d-line. I think we'd all love Ekpro, but I agree that we'll be picking too high for him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles number one problem from last year was taking too many sacks. He has been beyond amazing at not getting sacked this year. So he fixes his number one problem and half ya'll want to bail on him? I agree he's looking like shit at times and that back foot throwing shit has to stop, but he's a young improving QB. Lets see what he improves into by year end. Last year he lead this team down the field to score a game winning TD to advance in the playoffs. Then the defense gave away the game. The kid can do it. He may put it all together yet.

DJ4040

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that much of what we see with Foles now, is something we have seen from Foles for every single game this season. It is becoming like an Andy Reid press conference out there...

And I would not be surprised if the people seeing a problem with the loss of Bill Lazor from this coaching staff are right to some extent.

And we do not - in fact the busted up O-line was the excuse for Foles for the early weeks of the season (up and including the Washington game). To some extent also the San Fransisco game. Problem is that these last weeks - even against the Giants - the running game is NOT the biggest problem, and neither is/was the O-line.
Last, when we finally get 3/5 of our O-line back Foles is throwing the ball over 60 times. There are not to many QB's in this league that can throw the ball 60 something times and not turn it over at some point. We could've easily run the ball more yesterday and set up the pass. Kelly's play calling is definitely hurting Foles and it's time to use perhaps the league's most dangerous RB a little more.[/quote]

Ahum, the way the Cardinals defense works, it was the defense to pass against. And again, if these had been interceptions - just as against the Giants - where the CB makes a great play, the WR falls down, where there was a tight window, or where the WR drops/tips the ball and it ends up in the hands of a CB, that is one thing. So would be an INT on a Hail Mary. But that is NOT the types of interceptions Foles has been throwing these last two weeks, if not the vast majority of them. Those are interceptions of the 'WTF are you thinking' type, drive killers, hole diggers.

Becoming equally problematic IMHO is his tendency to NOT step up in the pocket (but running into pressure) and his refusal to set his feet. These WTF interceptions as well as his back-foot passing for no good reason is what cost us the game, no if's or buts.[/QUOTE]

I'm not understanding how the Oline/running game is not at fault in this offense at this point. Again, this offense needs to move the ball on the ground for the passing game to be effective. McCoy has had one 100 yard rushing game in the first 7 games. In 2 of those games he didn't even top 25 yards....that's pretty pathetic.

I'm not defending Foles mechanics obviously. It's quite clear to everyone that at times he's feeling pressure that isn't there, isn't stepping into his throws, and has had a number of turnovers in the red zone. That said, these mechanical issues can be worked through, especially with a young QB and a decent QB coach.

For me, I'm not jumping on Foles for mostvof our issues at this point. This play calling/running game needs to be held accountable for the majority of our issues. If we could actually handle the line of scrimmage and our RB could hit a hole, we wouldn't be the worst team in the NFL in the red zone and we wouldn't be asking our QB (who has 1 1/2 seasons of experience) to pull games out with 60 plus throwing attempts.

I definitely feel the Philly media/fan base are jumping the gun on this one. I'm hearing references back to Hoying/Kolb....that's ridiculous. Neither one of those QB's ever showed the types of performances/promise that Foles has/does.

Bottom line is this....first, if Chip continues to call plays the way he is, we will lose the majority of our remaining games. (Last year we were 52% pass/48%run----this year we are 68% pass/32%run)..pretty Andy Reidesque to be honest. And last, if our run game doesn't improve with better play calling, we will lose the majority of our games...it's that simple.