• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My New Mock - Bored

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offseason and getting to the damn draft takes too long. So with some players that have been mentioned by others here, my personal preference, and others rising up boards that just took them out of our range in our draft slots, here is my new "wishful" mock.

#1 - Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
#2 - Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
#3 - Quinn Meinerz, OG, Wisconsin-Whitewater
#4 - Jaylen Twyman, DE, Pittsburgh
#5 - Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma St.
#6 - Tre' McKitty, TE, Georgia
#7 - Derrick Forest, S, Cincinnati

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a mock on the pff simulator... as you can tell, my largest fear with this damn team is that they allow burrow to get injured again.

Attachments

• bengals.png
    bengals.png
    79 KB · Views: 10

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really enjoy this simulation

1618160372607.png

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1618176559970.png

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys figure August or Tubbs might stop by and call me an idiot?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some good simulations there
Yeah, the big thing I've noticed with the simulation is ATL at 4. When their pick isn't Sewell, Chase, Pitts (and it's been Pitts often) things really open up for the Bengals to make a move and still land an impact player while picking up a additional 2nd rounder. With the first picture I posted, I believe that was the case, IIRC.

Trading back still allowed me to land Pitts, and then when Moore fell to the 2nd round, it was a no-brainer for me with the additional pick 3 picks later because both Cosmi and Leatherwood were also still on the board allowing me to add an immediate interior OL starter. Adding a potential future OT starter in Hudson allows more flexibility as the swing tackle. Solidifying depth at the DT and DE positions were bonuses with the following picks. I really only picked the C from PSU because of the ACL and having an actual center to add depth for someone who can snap a ball will help in camp and as a backup. I liked the kid from CC with that last pick, and think he could add some versatility to the DL or a standup LB.

That being said - there are quite a few simulations that leave the cupboard pretty bare at OL in the early 2nd round. I've done a few where I landed Pitts or Chase, and ended up with just Hudson as an OT and usually end up with a later round OL pick that's not as good. However, usually that means I've landed one of the best LB or CB in the 2nd round, which also helps, but clearly the OL is the priority in rounds 2 and 3 if you are passing on Sewell.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add - when there aren't clear cut OT's in round 2, the kid from Standford is usually tops on the list - he hasn't played since 2018 and that scares the crap out of me. The other kid is from NDSU, and I'm just not sure about him enough to select him that high in round 2.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some drafts never live up to their potential, but I think we'll get at least a few useful players out of this draft one way or another. We can be optimistic about that, at least.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One point that Cincyfan made about the line.... I've also noticed that the 'depth' of the linemen in this class is more of an assumption than a guarantee. I've seen countless mock drafts give us Leatherwood in the second round. But as prospects go, he's got a lot of athletic talent, ideal size and has played good competition. Its no guarantee that there isn't a bit of a run on linemen right before we get to pick in the second round. If our first pick is Chase and then we get shut out on linemen in the second round, we're looking at a third rounder as a plug-and-play answer to our issues on the line. I'm not sure this is the kind of commitment we're looking for with Burrow.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One point that Cincyfan made about the line.... I've also noticed that the 'depth' of the linemen in this class is more of an assumption than a guarantee. I've seen countless mock drafts give us Leatherwood in the second round. But as prospects go, he's got a lot of athletic talent, ideal size and has played good competition. Its no guarantee that there isn't a bit of a run on linemen right before we get to pick in the second round. If our first pick is Chase and then we get shut out on linemen in the second round, we're looking at a third rounder as a plug-and-play answer to our issues on the line. I'm not sure this is the kind of commitment we're looking for with Burrow.
The thing that scare me is that the guys left in the second round after Leatherwood and Cosmi.

The kid from Stanford hasn't played in 2 years. Not sure how I feel about a kid from NDSU - not facing the best competition. I mean, I'm fine if the feel they translate to the OG position but not sure about OT.

If the Bengals felt like they could start either one of those guys at OG this year, then I'm more open to it, I just don't know enough about them to commit to them in round2. You can still land Hudson in round 3, and have your swing OT and future OT if you don't re-sign Reiff (which I would absolutely try to do) but you do take a step back from that core OL group within those first 5-7 guys who will then be gone.

However, this is why if you can trade back 2-3 spots in the 1st and grab that extra 2nd rounder - it may be worth it. You land Chase/Pitts still and still land an OT/OG or other with those 2 picks, and you've done no worse than solidify 3 open spots with potential starters this year. Or, you can try and package a 2nd/3rd to move up back into the 1st round and grab Leatherwood/Cosmi - and then you still have a 2nd round pick. You can then either take BPA or slide back into the 2nd round and look to pick back up that 3rd you lost.

There's also the chance that Sewell continues to fall to the Bengals wherever they land at 7 or 8 - and if not, there's Slater right there as well if you had to go OL over anything else. You then still get a chance with 2 extra 2nd round picks to get another OL and/or BPA for several needs: WR if Moore falls, LB, Edge or even a CB. A lot opens up with having that extra 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if you haven't done so - play around with the settings. Especially the draft pattern - I tend to use the PFF model heavily skewed that way since it will follow more logically what teams are looking at...but it's also fun to see the average fan draft as well.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I mess with it, the more it argues for making trades. We have multiple positions of need.... And there always seems to be a scenario where one of our main prospects falls a few slots.