• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Mock Draft II

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The one month away from the f'n Draft edition!

1st round (17th overall) - David DeCastro (Guard) Stanford

The Bengals have never taken an Offensive Guard in the first round but then again they had never taken a Cornerback in the first round prior to '06 before taking Joseph. No need to get into the analysis of the position. Bobbie Williams is 100 years old with a broken right ankle and Nate Livings is now thankfully the Cowboys problem.

Since 2001, there has only been one guard taken higher than 17th overall (Leonard Davis in '01 by the Cowboys with the 2nd overall pick). DeCastro can be an immediate starter at Right Guard with ideally Bobbie Williams brought back on a one-year, backup/mentor deal.

This would be perfect (translation: probably won't happen) and would theoretically solidify the middle now that the Bengals have their LG in Travelle Wharton via free agency.

David DeCastro NFL Draft Analysis - 2010 Season - YouTube

1st round (21st overall) - Mark Barron (Safety) Alabama

Reggie Nelson is back...huge. Chris Crocker also will be...not so much. As much as the staff, Hobspin, etc. blow smoke up our collective asses about Miles, Sands and Mays; fact remains that the position is very much influx. Barron is the best player in a weak Safety class making it imperative to take him here. I like Harrison Smith as well but not at 21 overall.

Barron had 12 career INT's at Bama and is a solid tackler. Major question mark is durability. He has been hurt a lot and is coming off of double-hernia surgery.

Mark Barron vs Mississippi St 2011 - YouTube

2nd round (53rd overall) - Jared Crick (Defensive End) Nebraska

Fanene and Frostee are gone...making a DE/DT tweener a must for the Bengals. Crick is a guy that they can plug in and hope for similar production.

Geathers is also going into his last year and, well, isn't very good. Ditto for Michael Johnson. DE is a huge position of need.

Jared Crick NFL Draft Analysis - 2010 Season - YouTube

3rd round (84th overall) - LaMicheal James (Running Back) Oregon

My second favorite pick, right behind the Castro pick in the first round. Signing the Law Firm gives us a steady, "bell cow" but one that doesn't have that second gear. James definitely has that and then some. I know a lot people might want Pead here (I wouldn't hate it) but James is a notch above, IMO. If James is gone, Pead would be the pick.

He is a big improvement over Bernard Scott...who is going into the last year of his contract.

Ultimate LaMichael James Highlights - YouTube

4th round (116th overall) - Gerell Robinson (Wide Receiver) Arizona State

Being that they haven't brought in one free agent WR (that I can recall), apparently this is a position (#2 WR) that they will address in the draft. Hopefully they can still address it post draft because they are in desperate need of a steady vet opposite of A.J. However, being the Bengals, they are more than likely to go on the cheap and get their guy here.

Remember...they have to pay A.J. in three years!!!

*rolls eyes*

Robinson was productive in college and is adept at finding the holes in coverage and can make the catch over the middle. Not a playmaker but what do you expect at this point in the draft? He'll do...for now...

Gerrell Robinson vs Boise State 2011 - YouTube

5th round - Audie Cole (ILB) North Carolina State

Rey Maulauga is in a contract year and has failed to live up to expectations. He is also facing a suspension resulting from his second off the field scrape involving alcohol since being in the league.

Cole is a solid backup type that at the very least can be a special teamer if not pressed into immediate action.

Audie Cole vs Louisville - YouTube

5th round (part of Chad trade) -Keith Tandy (Cornerback) West Virginia

They just resigned another CB formerly of WVU and add another here. With the recent action at CB (Jason Allen, Pacman), I don't see it as such a desperate need anymore...which is why I don't have the Bengals drafting one until here.

Tandy can compete for a spot on special teams with an eye towards a nickel role in the future.

The Ultimate Tip Drill (Keith Tandy Junior Highlights) - YouTube

6th round - Malik Jackson (Defensive End/Tackle) Tennessee

Looking for Fanene with another late round pick. Yep.

Malik Jackson vs SC - YouTube

7th round - Vontaze Burfict (ILB) Arizona State

The guy bombed at the Combine and at ASU's Pro Day. However; Marvin Lewis was chatting with him, reportedly, after it was over so that's enough for me to have the Bengals taking a flier at this point in the draft. He is this year's Ernest Shazor! That's a nod to all the old school folks from the ESPN board.

Vontaze Burfict Highlights - YouTube

- Note: Only one OG taken and no other O-linemen? We've got Otis Hudson yo!! And...Anthony Collins is still "in the mix" to come back. This isn't a finished product and I plan to submit my final mock in the week before the draft.

Just what I got for now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Barron or Crick. Both times I watched Crick he was completely over matched and did nothing.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think one of the 1st rounders will be Kendal Wright, he just ran under 4.4 at his pro day

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Love DeCastro. Luke warm on Barron and Crick. James would be a good change if pace guy behind BJGE

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the 1st rounders will be Kendal Wright, he just ran under 4.4 at his pro day

Actually he ran a 4.3 which is why I think he will not be available when we draft.

Both him and DeCastro may be gone, which is sad.

I would love both DeCastro and Wright.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burfict has definitely had a shitty offseason but there is no way I see him falling to the 7th round.