• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My annual QB assessments

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an easy one to answer. Clearly you have to get your QB early, but you also have to be an organization that gets the best out of him within your overall scheme. What you cannot do is play the guy when he's not ready to play or place the entire burden to win upon his shoulders. Let's remember that it's a team game and QB is one of 11 on the offensive side.

Now in order to get that guy you have to realize who you are and what it's gonna cost to get this player. You cannot gripe over cost, or fearfully get into the effort or others will beat you out. Draft capital is important but it's not everything. It's there to be spent but if the intent is focused on trading up and saving some of it then other assets must come into play. When you use it to trade up, then your focus must turn to free agency and making better selection with what you have left. There's also going to be opportunity to trade on-hand assets for draft capital. Time is both your friend and enemy on a young team, it works for you because of youth and against you as year after year goes by and the youngsters age. Putting it all together quickly is imperative, waiting wastes youth then experience and at some point you're forced to begin retooling again.
the price will go down on draft night so lets see

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you!!

I do remember that song!

Fitzpatrick is an interesting study in NFL longevity, but honestly is currently serving as a stopgap because the choices were few. It's possible that he will be on an NFL roster well into his 40's but his role is well defined at this point in his career. It is interesting to note Ron Rivera's insistence concerning competition for the starting job this year. At the moment there's little competition to be had between this grizzled old veteran, Heinicke and Allen. If Rivera was being truthful then he has to bring in someone to make that competition legitimate. Keep your eye on their moves during the draft.

It sounds like you are beginning to give more clues on why you believe that Fitz will never take a snap in a regular season game for WTF. I can't wait to see how your prediction will turn out and I actually understand some of your thinking about this. On the other hand I don't understand why Fitz is on our pre-season roster to begin with if your prediction turns out to be correct. You're certainly making the draft or a possible trade more interesting to me, that's for sure.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like you are beginning to give more clues on why you believe that Fitz will never take a snap in a regular season game for WTF. I can't wait to see how your prediction will turn out and I actually understand some of your thinking about this. On the other hand I don't understand why Fitz is on our pre-season roster to begin with if your prediction turns out to be correct. You're certainly making the draft or a possible trade more interesting to me, that's for sure.
well if he doesnt then we arent developing the new qb correctly unless its falco of allen

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 days to go, we'll see soon!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Fitz is here. Not that I know anything but if RR and crew love Lance I think he has to fall to pick 8 or 9 for a trade. If that happens it makes sense to play Fitz for at least a year (like Andy did with Mahomes.)

I will be shocked if the WTF trade up to 4. Not that I haven't been shocked many times with this ownership.

Another thing to wonder about is Fields. Some him dropping. That may not be true but some have him dropping into the teens. Much like Haskins did.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest no qb should be falling . at this point its all nit picking / i would be happy with any of those prospects provided we dont give up the farm to get them

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Fitz is here. Not that I know anything but if RR and crew love Lance I think he has to fall to pick 8 or 9 for a trade. If that happens it makes sense to play Fitz for at least a year (like Andy did with Mahomes.)

I will be shocked if the WTF trade up to 4. Not that I haven't been shocked many times with this ownership.

Another thing to wonder about is Fields. Some him dropping. That may not be true but some have him dropping into the teens. Much like Haskins did.

I think Fitz will be here too or he wouldn't be here already. I hope WTF doesn't trade up to any number because it's just too risky in my opinion. I'm not that impressed with Fields or any QB that has come out of Ohio State in recent years because they just don't seem to make it in the NFL for some reason. WTF has done pretty well drafting in the past couple of years regardless of their draft positions and I hope they will hold the cards that have been dealt to them since they have a lot more needs to fill than just the QB position.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, it's a crap shoot at best. I will only comment on the QB I want for us even if a trade up happens, Trey Lance to the WFT. Sits a year behind Fitz a d learns how to be a pro. Makes complete sense, he is a perfect compliment to Turner's offense. Kid is big, strong, powerful arm, athletic and makes plays off script. I hope we get him some how. Otherwise it's Parsons at 19.
I could see Rivera making a play for Lance should he fall past ATL.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fitz will be here too or he wouldn't be here already. I hope WTF doesn't trade up to any number because it's just too risky in my opinion. I'm not that impressed with Fields or any QB that has come out of Ohio State in recent years because they just don't seem to make it in the NFL for some reason. WTF has done pretty well drafting in the past couple of years regardless of their draft positions and I hope they will hold the cards that have been dealt to them since they have a lot more needs to fill than just the QB position.
I always intrigued by the position some take concerning where these guys come from and previous failures. Here's a list of schools where the top five in this draft played and we'll use the same argument.

1. Clemson____ prior to Watson they owned a pretty poor record at producing NFL QB's

2. Ohio State__ You've already mentioned their history

3. B.Y.U____ Steve Young first played 1984 - last played 1999 players since Ty Detmer, John Beck, Max Hall, Taysom Hill. Impressed?

4. Alabama__ last 21 year span as used above... Brodie Croyle, A.J. McCarron, Greg McElroy, John Parker Wilson.

5. North Dakota State_ Carson Wentz?

Based on this history none of the current guys are worth it because of the failure or ultimate journeyman status of their predecessors.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always intrigued by the position some take concerning where these guys come from and previous failures. Here's a list of schools where the top five in this draft played and we'll use the same argument.

1. Clemson____ prior to Watson they owned a pretty poor record at producing NFL QB's

3. B.Y.U____ Steve Young first played 1984 - last played 1999 players since Ty Detmer, John Beck, Max Hall, Taysom Hill. Impressed?

4. Alabama__ last 21 year span as used above... Brodie Croyle, A.J. McCarron, Greg McElroy, John Parker Wilson.

Based on this history none of the current guys are worth it because of the failure or ultimate journeyman status of their predecessors.

On the other hand we haven't talked about QB University in recent years with QBs who made it to the NFL called Oklahoma. It's a crap shoot no matter what college these wanna be NFL QBs come from but based on recent college history only Oklahoma passes the QB test on the teams that are among the top in competing for the national championship annually. Heck, it wasn't too long ago that my team, NC State, had more QBs in the NFL than any other team, and they still have several, but that's probably not the case anymore since Phillip Rivers retired.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand we haven't talked about QB University in recent years with QBs who made it to the NFL called Oklahoma. It's a crap shoot no matter what college these wanna be NFL QBs come from but based on recent college history only Oklahoma passes the QB test on the teams that are among the top in competing for the national championship annually. Heck, it wasn't too long ago that my team, NC State, had more QBs in the NFL than any other team, and they still have several, but that's probably not the case anymore since Phillip Rivers retired.

Agreed, it's a crap shoot, but one worthy of taking a chance upon. I've already outline the success/failure rate of QB's taken 1-2-3-4 vs those taken in later rounds. The wildcard in all of this is the organization itself. Having the goal of winning SB's in mind, you have to get your guy and more important know how to handle him once acquired. Washington has a horrible record of letting them sit, learn, and grooming them for the NFL game. I believe that despite all of the front office changes, there's still fear in WFT nation that Dan Snyder will force himself into what happens with this player if/when they do trade up to get him. Fear of failure is a real thing, it can paralyze into inaction and/or actions that leads to more failure. In the NFL the one thing that you cannot function with is fear. Every year ever team fails but one, does this mean that they all aren't doing everything in their power to become that one?

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, it's a crap shoot, but one worthy of taking a chance upon. I've already outline the success/failure rate of QB's taken 1-2-3-4 vs those taken in later rounds. The wildcard in all of this is the organization itself. Having the goal of winning SB's in mind, you have to get your guy and more important know how to handle him once acquired. Washington has a horrible record of letting them sit, learn, and grooming them for the NFL game. I believe that despite all of the front office changes, there's still fear in WFT nation that Dan Snyder will force himself into what happens with this player if/when they do trade up to get him. Fear of failure is a real thing, it can paralyze into inaction and/or actions that leads to more failure. In the NFL the one thing that you cannot function with is fear. Every year ever team fails but one, does this mean that they all aren't doing everything in their power to become that one?

Well said. Since I'm an ole guy now RISK is not as much a part of my make up the way it use to be.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scout the player not the decal on the helmet

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have had 0% success on trade ups in the snyder era 0% . now thats a stat that needs to be talked about because we did have 1 fall right to us