• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ Reds May 20-22

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked to find out that NW isn't the skipper. Shocked I say.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte sprained his thumb.

Taylor scratched from his minor league start. No idea if there's any correlation there.

There's gotta be a correlation... Probably was pulled for precautionary purposes in case Marte's injury was worse than it was...

473 feet later......

He needed that... He really wasn't contributing much until today... He was hitting .173 going into this game...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needed that... He really wasn't contributing much until today... He was hitting .173 going into this game...
Oh I'm aware. Just goes to show how things can turn and how "momentum" is largely fiction. Guti hasn't started well but that doesn't at all mean he can't or won't get it going. And it also doesn't really mean he should have less opportunity. That's baseball.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes the more you use something, the less effective it becomes. Lee is facing almost exclusively LH pitching. You can fan-out all you want, but there's a good deal of data that backs up the logic of what Servais is doing here.

I get what he is doing and the whole fad of sabermatrics but when someone earns the right to play more, I feel the player that earns it deserves a shot to play. I'm not saying bench Lind but Lee has earned the right to hit against righties a few games a week. He is going to fail but that's when you find if you have a ballplayer, let them fail and see how he reacts. Not platooning a position of need.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After watching the replay, it looks like he hurt his thumb initially diving back to first on the pick off move, which was weird

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what he is doing and the whole fad of sabermatrics but when someone earns the right to play more, I feel the player that earns it deserves a shot to play. I'm not saying bench Lind but Lee has earned the right to hit against righties a few games a week. He is going to fail but that's when you find if you have a ballplayer, let them fail and see how he reacts. Not platooning a position of need.
Fad? It's a bit more established I think, and I never even said the word 'sabermetrics.' You don't have to be Bill James to know that righties tend to hit lefties better and the other way as well. And "earned the right" -- this is baseball. Sports. Not rights. You do what gives you the best chance to win. Lind is gonna get his chances against the righties. Continue to bitch, but that's the reality.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another series win .....unbelievable!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another series win .....unbelievable!

Yah, as long as we can just negotiate with other teams to play all our home series at their stadium, we should easily be AL World Series favorites.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be Bill James to know that righties tend to hit lefties better and the other way as well.

Lind vs Righties: .219/.240/.313
Lee vs Righties: .333/.364/.762

So right now, who gives you a better chance to win?

And just for kicks;

Lee vs Lefties: .235/.297/.500
Lind vs Lefties: .286/.333/.500

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to Lind v. Lee, I think Lind's body of work vs. righties in his career is what has kept him from getting benched or at least kept the M's from giving Lee more playing time at this point in the season. If he didn't have that body of work to fall back on or if the Mariners weren't currently in 1st place (with one of the big reasons being Lind's struggles at the plate), I think we might have seen Lee get more playing time by now, but he does have that body of work and they're giving him some time to figure things out this year. That isn't to say that they're going to be that patient with him all year, but he was brought here to hit against righties and he has a history of being able to do that very well. Sometimes you have to look beyond the "right now" stats, especially when there's such a disparity in the sample size. Lee is a rookie and Lind has the career stats to have earned the patience and benefit of the doubt that he's getting right now.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fad? It's a bit more established I think, and I never even said the word 'sabermetrics.' You don't have to be Bill James to know that righties tend to hit lefties better and the other way as well. And "earned the right" -- this is baseball. Sports. Not rights. You do what gives you the best chance to win. Lind is gonna get his chances against the righties. Continue to bitch, but that's the reality.

The thing though, it is a fad. A cool thing to do, no team has ever won the WS with sabermatrics, which is the whole goal right? Righties do hit lefties better since righties hit lefties more since baseball became so specialized. Which the whole sabermatrics argument is a moot point when a player earns on the field the right to play more, again not saying Lind should be benched but Lee should get a chance to start more. It's only two months in so they shouldn't give up on Lind but if the trade deadline were today, one of the positions they'd need to upgrade is 1B and there is a role player that they could try for instead of needing to deal for.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
angels blew a lead in the 9th

oh happy day

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to Lind v. Lee, I think Lind's body of work vs. righties in his career is what has kept him from getting benched or at least kept the M's from giving Lee more playing time at this point in the season. If he didn't have that body of work to fall back on or if the Mariners weren't currently in 1st place (with one of the big reasons being Lind's struggles at the plate), I think we might have seen Lee get more playing time by now, but he does have that body of work and they're giving him some time to figure things out this year. That isn't to say that they're going to be that patient with him all year, but he was brought here to hit against righties and he has a history of being able to do that very well. Sometimes you have to look beyond the "right now" stats, especially when there's such a disparity in the sample size. Lee is a rookie and Lind has the career stats to have earned the patience and benefit of the doubt that he's getting right now.

Lee isn't a rookie though, not really. Yes it's his first year in MLB, but he has a body of work as well that IMO should not be discounted. He has been a solid slugger for years in Korea and Japan, but one that has always hit for a good average too. I've been impressed with Lee so far this year, he's hitting well not being able to play every day and has added so much more to this team than Lind has with less playing time. I am going to agree with the people saying that Lee should play more, until production demands otherwise. Would Lee keep up his production as an everyday player? I don't know, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing if he can.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing though, it is a fad. A cool thing to do, no team has ever won the WS with sabermatrics, which is the whole goal right? Righties do hit lefties better since righties hit lefties more since baseball became so specialized. Which the whole sabermatrics argument is a moot point when a player earns on the field the right to play more, again not saying Lind should be benched but Lee should get a chance to start more. It's only two months in so they shouldn't give up on Lind but if the trade deadline were today, one of the positions they'd need to upgrade is 1B and there is a role player that they could try for instead of needing to deal for.
Dude, calling righty vs lefty sabermetrics is like saying pouring a bowl of cereal is cooking. Good grief.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow, someone else gets it!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's a big decision the front office is going to have to confront if Lind continues to be a liability.

For the first time in a long time, I trust that Jedi is keeping an eye on it and has contingencies for this situation and a bunch of others.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte on the 15-day DL, up comes Chris Taylor.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3