• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ Red Sox

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Julio, I really do, but if his hits aren't the most empty hits in baseball I don't know what are. Full swing infield hits are the norm for the kid but very few gap shots. Glad to hear he hit one out tonight. but just weird to me. Maybe I am nitpicking on him.Who knows anymore.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Classic "Do The Least Possible Dipoto":

Many Mariners fans feel that the team should have added another premier bat this past offseason either via trade or through free agency. Dipoto discussed what adding another top-end bat may have looked like.

“If you go out and you sign a big right-handed banger who needs to play every day, effectively you’ve just blocked a spot. So it’s a very small twist or nuance, but it does affect the way you build your team,” Dipoto said. “The one thing that you can’t plan on is that two of those players (Lewis and Haniger) are injured and don’t play in most of your games and one of them (Kelenic) really struggles and winds up back in AAA — which is the more predictable of those outcomes — and then the depth that you had in AAA, they’re all hurt too. So you go out and do the best that you can to put players in place, and then ultimately end on May 19 you wind up waking up and you have Steven Souza playing right field who has a three-win season in the major leagues.”

-----------------------
Expecting two injury prone players and one far from ready player to be in the lineup and contribute is the dumbest way to build a roster. Because when you do it that way, you end up playing guys named Ford and Souza and Moore and Toro more than any team should ever have to.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would’ve been cool to get Story last offseason
No, we would have ruined him, too.

I doubt anyone would have heard of him if he hadn't faced us yesterday. That's pretty much what we do; we can make any player no one's heard of look like a star player.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many Mariners fans feel that the team should have added another premier bat this past offseason either via trade or through free agency. Dipoto discussed what adding another top-end bat may have looked like.

“If you go out and you sign a big right-handed banger who needs to play every day, effectively you’ve just blocked a spot. So it’s a very small twist or nuance, but it does affect the way you build your team,” Dipoto said. “The one thing that you can’t plan on is that two of those players (Lewis and Haniger) are injured and don’t play in most of your games and one of them (Kelenic) really struggles and winds up back in AAA — which is the more predictable of those outcomes — and then the depth that you had in AAA, they’re all hurt too. So you go out and do the best that you can to put players in place, and then ultimately end on May 19 you wind up waking up and you have Steven Souza playing right field who has a three-win season in the major leagues.”

-----------------------
Expecting two injury prone players and one far from ready player to be in the lineup and contribute is the dumbest way to build a roster. Because when you do it that way, you end up playing guys named Ford and Souza and Moore and Toro more than any team should ever have to.

In other words, "don't sign anyone who can set the bar any higher for the team than it should be."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-----------------------

Pretty sure I told you Jerry had the built in excuse of not really spending because “on paper” all of the spots were filled.

AceKeptic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, France couldn't come in to score...good. I've come to be wary of early leads.

And with the 4-0 start we had yesterday, can you blame me?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure I told you Jerry had the built in excuse of not really spending because “on paper” all of the spots were filled.
Yes and you know my philosophy on reserving spots for unproven players. That gets you the Mariners.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fucking team

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
R.b203d07629d07b0b41374812c15baab3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be mad at these guys. They are rudderless with very limited talent.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had something against the Mariners and that is why he didn't want to sign here. Turns out he just wanted to hit against us.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it too soon to start calling him Robbie Fassero?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 16 innings, 19 Runs. Is that bad?