• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ms. Marvel

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i watched it.. liked it... again, i am not the targeted audience, and i know that... so this has a low ceiling...

My biggest complaint though is her powers... seems like her powers are going to be from a magical bracelet... not the fact that she is an inhuman
Right. Typical lazy character development.

She is an angsty teen who has parents who won’t let her wear (in their opinion) a sexy costume. She is oppressed, yo! BOOM, she has powers handed to her and ultimately, she knows how to use them immediately (after initiating the square-shaped object from rolling through the convention, gaining speed as it crashes through walls, tables and other objects in it’s path, of course).

My understanding is that her powers are essentially Green Lantern-esque. So basically, no rules, no limitation. Fun.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She is an angsty teen who has parents who won’t let her wear (in their opinion) a sexy costume. She is oppressed, yo! BOOM, she has powers handed to her and ultimately, she knows how to use them immediately (after initiating the square-shaped object from rolling through the convention, gaining speed as it crashes through walls, tables and other objects in it’s path, of course).

My understanding is that her powers are essentially Green Lantern-esque. So basically, no rules, no limitation. Fun.
They changed her powers from what they are in the comic. I saw an article about how they messed up by doing that because her original powers (which were more Mr Fantastic like) made her feel like even more of an outcast.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i feel like this show wont be about her powers and more about how she handles her family life now that she has powers...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They changed her powers from what they are in the comic. I saw an article about how they messed up by doing that because her original powers (which were more Mr Fantastic like) made her feel like even more of an outcast.

see, this is the problem with having so many phases... with the marvel universe... inhumans were not talked about in any capacity other than the tv shows of shield and the inhumans...

the inhumans was a failed show, and Shield hasnt been on air for the past 5 years or so... they took the easy way out so they didnt have to explain to us what inhumans are again...

especially if they plan on bringing in the mutants....

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those inner struggles are what make good characters. Changing the power to remove inner strife just adds to the larger complaint.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those inner struggles are what make good characters. Changing the power to remove inner strife just adds to the larger complaint.
There are people who think her bands break or something and it awakens her real powers, but I don't know. I haven't watched the show yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are people who think her bands break or something and it awakens her real powers, but I don't know. I haven't watched the show yet.
I try to hold off my overall complaints until the end. Complaining after ep1 is like complaining to a painter while he is still penciling in general shapes. Let’s wait until the paint has dried and the true colors have come out before we send a show down the river.

but as we stand right now, I am not thrilled. This is very subjective, so I don’t complain about this on anything but a surface level, but I dont like the style they are using that makes the entire show look like a Skittles commercial. Having the background constantly flowing like the viewer is on acid is distracting. I think that is a generational thing, though.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid first episode. I really dug the stylistic choices made with the art work and visuals mixed into the show.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to hold off my overall complaints until the end. Complaining after ep1 is like complaining to a painter while he is still penciling in general shapes. Let’s wait until the paint has dried and the true colors have come out before we send a show down the river.

but as we stand right now, I am not thrilled. This is very subjective, so I don’t complain about this on anything but a surface level, but I dont like the style they are using that makes the entire show look like a Skittles commercial. Having the background constantly flowing like the viewer is on acid is distracting. I think that is a generational thing, though.

it reminds me of diary of a wimpy kid i actually wonder if that is the inspiration... just add superheroness and a little cultural uniqueness (nice way to say bringing in muslim culture)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it reminds me of diary of a wimpy kid i actually wonder if that is the inspiration... just add superheroness and a little cultural uniqueness (nice way to say bringing in muslim culture)
I never saw Diary, so I can’t comment on that.

I understand what they are doing. I think the style ultimately is a result of the short-attention-span of the younger generations. You see the style used in a lot of ads (I think Skittles uses it). That’s why I am acknowledging that it is a subjective take on my part and not really a dig at the producers.

It kinda reminds me of a baseball game at Dodger Stadium. There is never a second of silence or a second without total sensory overload. The entire time is all about filling every sense with as much stimulation as humanly possible. Subtlety does not exist.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda reminds me of a baseball game at Dodger Stadium. There is never a second of silence or a second without total sensory overload. The entire time is all about filling every sense with as much stimulation as humanly possible. Subtlety does not exist.
The same at Braves games and I imagine most MLB games nowadays.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But also if you toss in Inhumans to a market that largely has no idea what they are, you confuse them.

Maybe Marvel should have done a better job re-establishing them before this show, but absent that, changing (or at least hiding her real backstory for now) helps to keep people from being confused and wandering off.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But also if you toss in Inhumans to a market that largely has no idea what they are, you confuse them.

Maybe Marvel should have done a better job re-establishing them before this show, but absent that, changing (or at least hiding her real backstory for now) helps to keep people from being confused and wandering off.
After ep2, it looks like the bracelets are just awakening her inner power. It seems like her ggm had powers of some sort that caused some kind of family shame. Being inhuman might fit that storyline.

Inhumans already exist in MCU canon, so they don’t need to build any infrastructure to squeeze it in. Having Blackbolt in Dr Strange is a little reminder to people that the Inhuman show is still considered canon. Maybe they want to build a little in this show as a more solid reminder, but the heavy lifting has already been done.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 episodes in. Think the show is very good.

The more I watch, the more ok I am with the origin change. I am realizing that they wanted to emphasize the Muslim part and not the captain marvel fan girl part.

I am more ok with it because she is a relatively new character and most people don’t even know much about her. Even comic book purists.

And onto @calsnowskier worry about the origin change making her one dimensional. I think the show is doing a great job making her likable and easy to root for. And a fun adventure watching her learn her powers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they screw up the ending, I'm thinking this might be the best Marvel show to date (Loki would probably be my #1 right now). Every episode has been well paced, well acted, and enjoyable. I kinda wish they weren't following that Disney+ 6 episode shit all the MCU and SW shows seem to be doing. I want more of this

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Binged it while at a staff meeting summit. I’ve enjoyed it. Not familiar with the comic series but I wasn’t plugged into Moon Knight either. As usual with the Marvel folks, they have a way of keeping me in while wondering where we’re going.