• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Make Trade???

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Dipoto said he wanted to get more athletic in the OF, add on base guys (sounds like Powell has good plate discipline so far), and pitching depth. 1 trade in and we're on course.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I am just so happy we are going the speed and defense route. Sounds like a better hitting Braden Bishop who I also like along with several of his teammates in Everett.

Agreed. Right now I think the team just needs to build complementary pieces to put around Cano/Cruz/Seagar, instead of trying to just find guys who can hit the ball far.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Right now I think the team just needs to build complementary pieces to put around Cano/Cruz/Seagar, instead of trying to just find guys who can hit the ball far.

Well said.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking into the players we got for this trade. I love this trade!!!
Very excited to see Powell. He feels like the type of player this org has been missing and the type of player Dipoto will continue to pursue. He is knocking on the major league door and very well could be in an M's uni in the near future.

The pitchers are a nice touch... Karns not only adds much needed SP depth, he is under team control and he has quality numbers. Its also nice to add a lefty in the BP. He had some nice seasons in the minors hopefully he can figure it out in the majors too.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking into the players we got for this trade. I love this trade!!!
Very excited to see Powell. He feels like the type of player this org has been missing and the type of player Dipoto will continue to pursue. He is knocking on the major league door and very well could be in an M's uni in the near future.

The pitchers are a nice touch... Karns not only adds much needed SP depth, he is under team control and he has quality numbers. Its also nice to add a lefty in the BP. He had some nice seasons in the minors hopefully he can figure it out in the majors too.

He did finish the season with 5 scoreless innings, and only 2 runs in his last 8.1 innings (11 appearances) in September. Hopefully, that's more an indication of what hell be and he will build on that.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did finish the season with 5 scoreless innings, and only 2 runs in his last 8.1 innings (11 appearances) in September. Hopefully, that's more an indication of what hell be and he will build on that.
i hear ya, (sarcastic? seriously IDK...) 8 innings aint shit. As a BP guy I figure it as a solid pickup. He has been solid through out his pro career so expectations should be good for him.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hear ya, (sarcastic? seriously IDK...) 8 innings aint shit. As a BP guy I figure it as a solid pickup. He has been solid through out his pro career so expectations should be good for him.
11 appearances and 8 innings is a small sample size but a sample size none the less. It's enough to be encouraged, seeing how he was a throw in guy in the trade.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just happy we got rid of Lord Farquar or whatever his name is. Whatever, the guy from the Shrek movie.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the deal... We get an immediate starter in the rotation with the opportunity at a very good prospect to lock down our CF position for the future... Love how our vision/goal is to build this team with more of an athletic impact and speed...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I know that 8 innings isn't much - but it's all I have to go on (he's only got 20 career MLB innings). I'd like to think his end to last year is more an indication than the 13 runs in 6 innings he gave up earlier. He did post a 0.923 WHIP in AAA, so again, hopefully he'll build on that and be a good BP piece for us.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like a pretty good trade for the Mariners. A cheap Karns at the back of the rotation & possibly a future good bat in Powell.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade, smart trade.
Looking at what we gave up first:
Morrison - at this point in his career, he is was he is. He isn't going to have a break through season where he becomes a 25 homer, 90 RBI guy. It isn't going to happen. He is arbitration-eligible and the guess is that he will earn about $4.1 mill next year. He can't hit left handed pitching. His defense is average at best although can be flashy at times. But he is not Smoak around the bag. He was probably second on the 1B depth chart behind Trumbo. Basically, this was a salary dump.
Farquar - typical middle reliever. Can't be relied on from one season to the next. There are a ton of righties like him that will be cheaper than the $2 or $2.5 mill he'll get in arbitration this winter. Another salary dump.
Miller - If the rays win this trade, it will be because Miller's offense takes a step forward and resembles more of what he did in the minors. It could still happen but it won't be because he gets away from Safeco Field. He has actually been a better home hitter with the Ms.

Looking at what we acquired:
Karns - Should be a 32 start, 185 IP guy next year if he stays healthy and reasonably productive from the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation. This acquisition marks a major philosophical change from Jack Z who always tried to acquire a basement bargain vet to fill out the back of the rotation (AJ Happ, Chris Young, Joe Saunders, Aaron Harang, Kevin Milwood, etc, etc, etc).
Powell - Fits the bill of what Dipoto said he wanted for the outfield: athletic guy with a high OBP (career .401 so far). So far The Boogster has only had success through the AA level. His AAA stats were unimpressive. But nevertheless, Dipoto think he'll be on the Mariners roster at some point next year may even break camp with the team.
Riefenhauser - Probably starts the season in the minors, but who knows. When Furbush went down last year, we didn't have a solid situational lefty to take over for him. Lots of guys were auditioned but none really worked out. Beimel ended up getting more innings that he should have. He is better in a role as the second lefty option. If Charlie isn't ready to go when they break camp, Riefenhoser could be with the team.

Summary:
We traded about $9 million dollars worth of spare parts and got back about $1.5 million in potential. Dipoto came out $7.5 million ahead and got at least one guy who will make a solid contribution next year and possibly two or three guys.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news - M's claim LF Dan Robertson off waivers from the Angels. Robertson has a career .377 OBP in the minors, though at 30 he's getting up to the point that it may be a make or break season if he wants to have a career in the MLB (.274 BA in 107 career games w/ Texas and LA Angels).

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more interested in Powell than most others are.

He lacks power but he projects well defensively and gets on base at a high rate and can run well.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more interested in Powell than most others are.

He lacks power but he projects well defensively and gets on base at a high rate and can run well.

Exactly, Powell is the guy I want to see. It would be nice if he could turn into a legitimate lead off.