• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's 2016 season Forecast!

Where do the M's End it this season??

• win the division

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • wild card

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • barely above .500

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Ownership will screw them

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with yo, Polar. It's a Catch-22.

1) Ownership wasn't willing to give the new GM the $$$$ it would take to try to "win now", even if it were possible with FA's. It's not a just a few little holes. It's gigantic, sweeping problems top to bottom outside of the 4 big contracts we have with Felix, Cano, Seager, and Cruz.

2) Everything decent on the disaster of a farm the Z built has already been called up. It could definitely take more than 2 years to rebuild through round after round of drafting/trading. And then whether or not Nintendo will be willing to supplement with big contracts is in question.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody is fair game for trading unless some sort of miracle happens with this team before the trade deadline hits.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with yo, Polar. It's a Catch-22.

1) Ownership wasn't willing to give the new GM the $$$$ it would take to try to "win now", even if it were possible with FA's. It's not a just a few little holes. It's gigantic, sweeping problems top to bottom outside of the 4 big contracts we have with Felix, Cano, Seager, and Cruz.

2) Everything decent on the disaster of a farm the Z built has already been called up. It could definitely take more than 2 years to rebuild through round after round of drafting/trading. And then whether or not Nintendo will be willing to supplement with big contracts is in question.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody is fair game for trading unless some sort of miracle happens with this team before the trade deadline hits.

Even if the GM is giving money to spend, there still has to be players available in free agency or via trade. Those types of players are getting more and more scarce every year, especially position players. Next year's crop looks to be one of the weakest fields yet. Therefore, the only true hope this team has of being successful by Dipoto's 3rd, 4th, or 5th year is to draft well. Maybe they can hire John Schneider to draft for them.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. I didn't think a blank check would be enough to solve the problem, hence the "even if it were possible" part of what I said regarding FA.

It's going to be interesting to see how Jedi does. I wasn't wild about all of his trades that he made initially, but most of them have ended up okay in hindsight. Hope he can wheel and deal smartly since he's probably not going to have to worry about losing top draft picks year after year because of FA signings.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix is not a true ace anymore?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a #1, but True Ace? His numbers in late season, must win games leaves that question open to discussion.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the GM is giving money to spend, there still has to be players available in free agency or via trade. Those types of players are getting more and more scarce every year, especially position players. Next year's crop looks to be one of the weakest fields yet. Therefore, the only true hope this team has of being successful by Dipoto's 3rd, 4th, or 5th year is to draft well. Maybe they can hire John Schneider to draft for them.

Yep spot on. There will be second tier guys like Cruz you can overpay for but in reality there needs to be an emphasis on developing guys. Since we aren't going to spend like the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. they need to take the approach closer to teams like the Royals, Cubs and Astros.
Unfortunately when your high draft picks turn out to be Ackley, Figgins(pick forfeited), Hultzen, Zunino and Peterson you probably end up like Mariners always do.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still an ace but probably not in the top 5 and after this year maybe not in the top 10. It's been pointed out on here already but he is an old 30 years old because of how long he's been up. The reality is we have probably wasted his best years.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Caple puts the M's at #19 in MLB going into the 2016 regular season.

2016 season preview: No. 19 Seattle Mariners

There are just too many questions after yet another losing season. King Felix turns 30 in April and Iwakuma turns 35 days later (and his innings have already been declining). Paxton hasn't been able to stay healthy. The bullpen was among the game's worst last year. Scott Servais, Seattle's ninth manager since 2002, has never managed or even coached in the big leagues and could have a learning curve. Plus, they are the Mariners, who have gone longer than any other MLB team without reaching the postseason (15 years) and have never been to the World Series. Don't expect that to change in 2016.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not looking forward to watching the Mariners get beaten like a freedom hating fascist at a trump rally.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then is must be true
eh, I think it is a better suited line-up for Safeco and more well rounded. Less HR/K guys and more bip guys. Can't hurt. The outfield defense will be the biggest improvement overall I assume.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barely over .500. The pitching, all the pitching, isn't overwhelming. That has to be how we make the playoffs and I don't see it happening.

Felix- An Ace, not a Top Ace.
Kuma- Just waiting for the next injury.
Walker- Maybe this is the season, maybe not.
Miley- Innings eater...
Paxton- Not sold on health or stuff
Karns- #4 SP at best.

I think Karns has some serious potential. He looked pretty good in Tampa last year. Hope he gets a chance in the rotation for the Ms.

Kuma looks sick in Spring ball. If he stays healthy, he'll be a force.

Healthy Kuma plus Felix and the rest may just have to be average.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Karns has some serious potential. He looked pretty good in Tampa last year. Hope he gets a chance in the rotation for the Ms.

Kuma looks sick in Spring ball. If he stays healthy, he'll be a force.

Healthy Kuma plus Felix and the rest may just have to be average.

I am not disagreeing with you, but there are a lot of 'Ifs' needing to happen for it to work like we hope. I hope you are right.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not disagreeing with you, but there are a lot of 'Ifs' needing to happen for it to work like we hope. I hope you are right.

They are the hardest team to figure out in the division. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the division and I also wouldn't be shocked to see them win 70 games. Like you said...a lot of "ifs" in a lot of places. Hoping they get back to the post-season...been too long.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are the hardest team to figure out in the division. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the division and I also wouldn't be shocked to see them win 70 games. Like you said...a lot of "ifs" in a lot of places. Hoping they get back to the post-season...been too long.

Well put.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are the hardest team to figure out in the division. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the division and I also wouldn't be shocked to see them win 70 games. Like you said.

Sort of how I feel as well. This year's club is tough to put a finger on. The West and the AL in general seem mediocre so you never know. Being .500 around the trading deadline probably means you are in race.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would have voted for just over .500, but right now we look like we could be the best team in the AL.