• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mr Smith offers?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So just curious ...did Alex get ANY offers from other clubs or letters of interest? Not a bash ...just wondering when the guy is going to resign with us...I know its in his best interest with an offer on the table from us to "fish" right now but seriously did he get another offer that has not been disclosed? thanks in advance if you guys have any info..

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just curious ...did Alex get ANY offers from other clubs or letters of interest? Not a bash ...just wondering when the guy is going to resign with us...I know its in his best interest with an offer on the table from us to "fish" right now but seriously did he get another offer that has not been disclosed? thanks in advance if you guys have any info..

If it happened it happened privately. This board did a great job of covering yesterday's activities and there was nothing was published.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been completely silent on him. No visits, nothing.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex... what are you planning!??!?!?!?

Evil_Monkey_301.gif

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Every team in the league is convinced that he'll resign with us so there really isn't any them to waste their time in talking with him unless there is news of some fallout between him and us.

That's not to suggest teams would be beating the door down to talk to him if that wasn't the case but I could see a team wanting to take a flier on him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team in the league is convinced that he'll resign with us so there really isn't any them to waste their time in talking with him unless there is news of some fallout between him and us.

That's not to suggest teams would be beating the door down to talk to him if that wasn't the case but I could see a team wanting to take a flier on him.

No teams willing to take the bait in other words? If that is what you are implying, that is a fair point. The other side of that is, I can't believe we would match another offer if another team did pony-up, but who knows.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WTF is going on with Alex?

He apparently has a 3 year deal on the table, he hasn't signed it yet, but at the same time he hasn't gotten any free agent action at all.

Teams are gonna snap up QBs soon (Peyton, Flynn, then Orton, Henne, Campbell) and Alex will really have no place other than the 49ers to go to.
He'd have to go somewhere as a guy competing for the job.

The situation is kind of unique, and it probably kind of sucks for Alex he can't get any action. I think his real choices are to accept a low-ball from the 49ers or go somewhere and be and a guy competing for the starting job with no guarantees he'd get it, and I bet those offers would be low as well too.

You think he's just trying to squeeze a bit more cash out of the 49ers?

Kolb and Fitzgerald (Bills) lucked out last year with their contracts. Same as Sanchez he lucked out with his extension. Alex won't be as lucky as they were.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all about money. We aren't overpaying him and I'm moving this to another thread.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brainstorming...

Maybe we are going after Manning and Smith does not want to commit to us to be a backup. He'll take his chances against Kaep but not MVP Manning. So he's waiting to see where Manning goes.

Maybe he's waiting to see where Manning goes so that the market does open up and call him (though I think it would close up further than open).

Maybe he has a deal for total amount over the years and guaranteed but wants to set this year's contract amount after we are done signing others - cap flexibility. He could make this year's the minimum and increase next years (as long as the guaranteed is the same), to avoid waiting this long, so that's not a real possibility.

My guess is everyone knows he's coming here and offering him money would not sway him nor drive his price up. Plus, then you'd get the "you wanted Alex Smith?" questions all for nothing. It would make them look stupid.

Maybe Condon is busy with other clients and there really are some details unique here that they haven't worked on yet. The Niners are proceeding like we have him, so what's the difference?

My guess is the Niners are trying to make it a bit too easy to switch to Kaep and it's in Alex's and the agents best interest to push to make it harder. I don't think it's about the total hypothetical amount, it's the guaranteed money that makes QB switches hard. I don't think it's duration as Smith knows that playing well will warrant an extension, not playing well would warrant the bench/cutting regardless of the number of years and to an extent the guaranteed money. This is under the assumption that Condon believes that the Niners need Smith for one more year to properly groom Kaep and it would be too negative press to not keep the offer open (not enough negative press to up it significantly). I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners are being greedy (if they don't want to put Kaep in 2012 but definitely in 2013), but I think overall, if Alex performs, the incentives would be fair. No one should expect Alex to sign immediately for too little or to a deal that makes him too despensible even if they want it. He'll have to come around.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flynn is getting more play which is pretty much all that needs to be said. Alex ain't getting his big pay day.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flynn is getting more play which is pretty much all that needs to be said. Alex ain't getting his big pay day.

I don't think it's about a big pay day. It's not that Alex is such a great guy he doesn't want the money, but rather I think he knows where he stands. I think Alex knows he's not at the point of the big pay day (and it bugs me that unknowns are) but he wants to make it harder financially to switch to Kaep. He'll try to make it hard on the field, too. It's in his interest to push but I don't think he'll get it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I speculated yesterday that Smith's contract may be structured with a lot of playing time escalators, which would make business sense if Colin is expected to take the team sometime this or next year. If my guess is accurate then that maybe the snag.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word was we offered 8-11 per and he hasn't taken it so he must be after a big pay day. His agent is using FitzP's contract as a barometer. Ain't gonna happen.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word was we offered 8-11 per and he hasn't taken it so he must be after a big pay day. His agent is using FitzP's contract as a barometer. Ain't gonna happen.

Depending on the structure of the contract that could work.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8-11 means nothing if it's not guaranteed. Condon knows this so he's going for the guaranteed money. Alex is not going for 12+ IMO. Playing escalators are what's killing the deal so far. I think both sides will compromise a bit, but not that much. The Niners definitely have the leverage and FA isn't helping, whether that be because teams know Alex isn't going anywhere or no one else wants him. Alex's comments on wanting to be here, that the deal will be done, etc. has not helped him get offers, that's for sure. But I think if he said, "we'll see what's out there", maybe Manning or Josh Johnson would be a bigger threat. You never know, either Alex is too honest for his own good (not that the Niners would match per se, but public perception at least could be helped with outside interest) or Alex knows he doesn't have a lot of control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything above gtd $7M per at this point I consider a big pay day for him. What team out there is going to pay him more?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything above gtd $7M per at this point I consider a big pay day for him. What team out there is going to pay him more?

If he viewed it that way, and that was all it was about, he'd have signed. So he either thinks 8-11 is too low of a big pay day (I doubt) or he's going for the guaranteed.