• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

> Moved, the Barbosa Thread

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you Greg.

I'm not saying Barbosa isn't great to have on the team. His 3point is an issue this year. You have TV? You've seen him shoot? Okay.

When you have better shooters on the team, Green, Steph, Klay, HB, even AI#9, why wouldn't you want them hoisting the 3pt shot?

Its like arguing about which Playboy bunny I'd least want to take home at the end of the night, any one would be nice for one night, but I'd rather have the Bunny of the year 365/24/7, am I right, or am I right?

Barbosa probably is top 3 on the team finishing at the hole for us.

#1a) Steph, when he drives he normally makes his layups easily
#1b)Klay because he gets fouled and makes his FT's
#2) AI#9 when decides to finish strong vs passing

So yes, Barbosa has his strengths, but shooting beyond the arc isn't one of them, there's better options out there my friend.

Exhibit A

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump, Kerr not happy with Barbosa shooting 3's? He's been M.I.A these last few games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you Greg.

I'm not saying Barbosa isn't great to have on the team. His 3point is an issue this year. You have TV? You've seen him shoot? Okay.

When you have better shooters on the team, Green, Steph, Klay, HB, even AI#9, why wouldn't you want them hoisting the 3pt shot?

Its like arguing about which Playboy bunny I'd least want to take home at the end of the night, any one would be nice for one night, but I'd rather have the Bunny of the year 365/24/7, am I right, or am I right?

Barbosa probably is top 3 on the team finishing at the hole for us.

#1a) Steph, when he drives he normally makes his layups easily
#1b)Klay because he gets fouled and makes his FT's
#2) AI#9 when decides to finish strong vs passing

So yes, Barbosa has his strengths, but shooting beyond the arc isn't one of them, there's better options out there my friend.

Exhibit A

History says that Barbosa is a better 3-pt shooter than both D. Green and AI#9. And, again, Barbosa has only shot a very small number of 3s this year. Also, given that his playing time is greatly diminishing as of late, he will not resurrect his shot this year.

D. Green is shooting 35% this year and everyone is all "abuzz" about how great he is. He's 3 for 16 in his last 5 games. His torrid 3-pt shooting is losing its luster after teams have begun to jump out at him now. AI#9 is a career 33% shooter from 3, but you're a-okay about him shooting the 3's. Meanwhile, Barbosa is a life-time 38.7% shooter from 3.

I have no problem with AI#9 shooting 3's. If he hits a third of them then it's the same as a 2-pt shooter hitting 50% from the field. I also have no problem with D. Green or HB shooting 3's, though thus far HB's shot selection (3-pt shots) is better than Green's. Green has some newfound success in hitter the 3, but he really doesn't hit them well when he's guarded. His 3-pt % has decreased dramatically since the first 16 games or so as teams have adjusted to his shot selection. He's 3 for 16 over his last 5 games. AI#9 is 6 for 22, while Barbosa is 0-1 (last 5 games).

I really don't see what Barbosa has done to deserve the right to be stripped of shooting the open 3. From what I know, he's never been one to hit 3s off of the dribble. I think it's fine for AI#9, HB, D. Green and Barbosa to shoot the open 3. Hell, even if they hit 30% of their 3s, it's the equivalent of a guy hitting 45% from 2 point range. The key to me is that the shot is an open unchallenged shot. Putting wraps or constraints on players by limiting what they can do isn't conducive to instilling confidence in their shot or in their role on the team. If other NBA teams realize that Barbosa is basically not allowed to shoot 3-pt shots, they'll leave him open from 3, and all of this will only serve to make Barbosa's confidence decrease as he plays for the Warriors. A shooting guard with a life-time 38.7% 3-pt average shouldn't have wraps put on his choice of shots, as long as it's an open shot.

Vince Carter is about 5 years older than Barbosa and is a lifetime 37.7% shooter from 3. He has the confidence of his coaches to shoot them whether he's open or not. You can see what happens when players are allowed to play their game. And, for Barbosa, it seems to come down to when he's given adequate playing time. Over the past 2+ years, he's not had much playing time so he's not shot well. But, looking at the years when he did play often, he's shot the ball well.

Maybe he hasn't been playing more over the past 2+ years because he's not playing as well. But, we won't know whether or not that's true if and until he's given playing time.

I don't believe in getting good quality players and then basically benching them. Remember when we had Richard Jefferson? Well, I'm not sure what he did to deserve this, but he was basically the last man to come into games during his 1 season (or 2??) with us. I've seen him go on to play way more significant roles with other teams since then and it made me think "man, he could have really been helping the Warriors" as he languished at the end of our bench. Look no further than how much Greg Popovich gets from every man on his bench. Also, look at Memphis last night, specifically their second team. You could tell that they felt comfortable in the game, that they all knew that if they were open that it was okay to shoot as long as it was a good shot. If you get into the game it's your obligation to contribute to the team given your strengths. Just because Barbosa is an excellent driver to the basket does not negate the fact that he's a lifetime 38.7% 3-pt shooter.

Sorry for the length, but you did address me.