• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most Underachieving Football Program In The Nation?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont see anyway in hell that Texas is even close to the top 20 on this list. Sure their state has great HS football but the Longhorns are a top 10-15 all time CFB program and have won titles. There is a team in their own state that pales in comparison to that. Plus there are numerous teams across the CFB landscape that have many of the same advantages Texas has that have accomplished substantially less than Texas.

jmoore_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont see anyway in hell that Texas is even close to the top 20 on this list. Sure their state has great HS football but the Longhorns are a top 10-15 all time CFB program and have won titles. There is a team in their own state that pales in comparison to that. Plus there are numerous teams across the CFB landscape that have many of the same advantages Texas has that have accomplished substantially less than Texas.

IMO Texas has a lot more advantages than most CFB programs have, over the past 42 years Texas has TWO I repeat TWO National Titles. W/ the resources they have they should have more than TWO over the past 42 years. Heck they only have FOUR altogether, At least 10 programs have more than 4 Natioanl Titles.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas >>>> Oregon

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought on thses underachieving threads has always been the same. If you are sitting at a bar and having drinks with your buddies and they ask you " What are the 10-15 best_____ of all time" and you include someone, something etc in your answer then there is no way they can be the most underachieving IMO. Im confident that most people would include Texas in their best 10-15 CFB programs of all time. We may consider them underachieving currently but that is only because we know their potential greatness because they have achieved it before. Underachieving ( to me) means a person or program or team that has never realized the potential they should have based off of their advantages. Thats why I answered Illinois.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Texas has a lot more advantages than most CFB programs have, over the past 42 years Texas has TWO I repeat TWO National Titles. W/ the resources they have they should have more than TWO over the past 42 years. Heck they only have FOUR altogether, At least 10 programs have more than 4 Natioanl Titles.

Then tell me why not Texas A&M. They have the same resources as UT, but only 1 NC, in 1939. So why not them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all act like it's easy to win national titles.

They generally take a little luck you know.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all act like it's easy to win national titles.

They generally take a little luck you know.

this........everyone thinks texas is an underachiever, i wonder how they would like texas if it lived up to there perception and was winning a NC every 4 years????

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and look at the games of all the NC winners and the vast majority of them caught a break somewhere by either squeaking out a close win or 2, or someone else lost and they got a second chance.

95' Nebraska would be an exception to the rule. I don't think they were ever threatened.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no luck in this

[YouTube]Nn7j-zJrbPk[/YouTube]

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and how many does everyone else have????

ou is the only one with more,congrats .......texas got upset in a championship game and one year year when we beat you we let you pass us and then we all no what happened in 2008

but lets not pretend that if things would have worked perfectly and texas didnt let some games slip away they would have 2/3 more,but that is sports.......and far from underachieving as yall seem to believe........any school would take 2(coulda been 3) NC game appearances in a 7 year span

Sorry, when you have a decade and a half of top 5 recruiting, and it gets you 3 (I thought it was two, but will defer to you guys in lieu of looking it up) conference titles...you are underachieving.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then tell me why not Texas A&M. They have the same resources as UT, but only 1 NC, in 1939. So why not them?

A&M isn't declared as a top 3 recruiter every single year for over a decade. Every year it is the same thing, all the sips I work with tell me about all the 5 star guys you are getting and how A&M may have 1-2. How Texas will have 5 stars sitting on the bench because there is a 5 star currently on the roster.

Then you go out and get 2+ losses and end up somewhere in the middle of the pack.

A&M hasn't done jack shit, but you don't hear us talking about winning the recruiting title every year either.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, when you have a decade and a half of top 5 recruiting, and it gets you 3 (I thought it was two, but will defer to you guys in lieu of looking it up) conference titles...you are underachieving.

yup and every top recruit turns into a hall of famer with multiple NC'S
just like all those cant miss baseball prospects

using prospect rankings as a reason for underachieving is a lame argument IMO......

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M isn't declared as a top 3 recruiter every single year for over a decade. Every year it is the same thing, all the sips I work with tell me about all the 5 star guys you are getting and how A&M may have 1-2. How Texas will have 5 stars sitting on the bench because there is a 5 star currently on the roster.

Then you go out and get 2+ losses and end up somewhere in the middle of the pack.

A&M hasn't done jack shit, but you don't hear us talking about winning the recruiting title every year either.

neither is texas :)

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this........everyone thinks texas is an underachiever, i wonder how they would like texas if it lived up to there perception and was winning a NC every 4 years????

Few if any expect that but winning conf every four years isn't unreasonable given resources Texas has

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few if any expect that but winning conf every four years isn't unreasonable given resources Texas has

and yet it hasnt been 3 years since our last conference championship and here we are the most underachieving team in the nation........

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet it hasnt been 3 years since our last conference championship and here we are the most underachieving team in the nation........

8 conference titles in 35 years. 1 national title

Lets compare
Ohio State 15 conf 1 national
OU 15 conf 2 national
USC 15 conf 3 national
Michigan 15 conf 1 national
Nebraska 13 conf 3 national
FSU 12 conf 2 national
Miami 9 conf 5 national
Alabama 8 conf 5 national
Florida 8 conf 3 national

I would say that out of the elite, Texas is the most underachieving. You could throw in ND too but they do have 2 national titles the last 35 years.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow going back 35 years now.....guess you have switched from the "recent" argument

sounds about right since 80's/90's were not very kind to the horns so that helps out your point of view.......and over the last 8 years OU has been underachieving much more than texas....we can do this all day the fact is texas is nowhere near the most underachieving.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a Texas fan and happy where you are considering the resource advantages you have than that's great. I'd be disappointed but if you're happy, it's all good.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a Texas fan and happy where you are considering the resource advantages you have than that's great. I'd be disappointed but if you're happy, it's all good.

you keep saying this.....it sucks right now but how much better can it get than 2 NC'S games getting screwed out of another in 2008.....that is 3 "possible" NC's games in 5 years

that is the life of sports its not going to go your way every time,but ya'll just go ahead and keep being jealous haters