• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most Influential College Football Coaches

spammer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Steve Spurrier
4. David Shaw
5. Kevin Sumlin
6. James Franklin
7. Les Miles
8. Bob Stoops
9. Jimbo Fischer
10. Gary Pinkel
HM - Art Briles, Charlie Strong, Gus Malzahn, Pat Fitzgerald, Jim Mora, Dabo Swinney

Check out these rankings of the most influential College football coaches. What would ur rankings be?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an amazingly bad list. I think they ranked them by salaries. You put SUmlin on this list, but forget the guy that pretty much gave him his foundation in Leach. Just a side note, OU had an offensive staff of Mangino, Leach, and Sumlin. Just damn...

Where is RichRod and his spread to run offense?

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butthead author needs to do his homework on 2013 Ohio State and Urban Headcase.

"Both seasons his team finished top five in the nation."

Uh, no.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an amazingly bad list. I think they ranked them by salaries. You put SUmlin on this list, but forget the guy that pretty much gave him his foundation in Leach. Just a side note, OU had an offensive staff of Mangino, Leach, and Sumlin. Just damn...

Where is RichRod and his spread to run offense?

Yeah, it's pretty god awful. It basically ignores any coach who isn't currently coaching.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lessee... If Butch Jones is able to resurrect the Tennessee program, consistently vie for the SEC East, and beat Bama 50% of the time, all while raising academic performance and graduation rates, well, then, he may deserve a spot on some future list. It's a long and winding road. The destination is not yet in view. One step at a time.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was going to be about which Coaches throughout CFB history were innovative and changed the game.

But it's just a list of mostly SEC coaches.:laugh3:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking at the list.

Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Steve Spurrier
Bob Stoops
Frank Beamer

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well hell didnt Bob revolutionize the spread when he came to OU?? I could be wrong but there werent too many teams using that kind of offense prior to Leach bringing it from Tucky to OU.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a history list :noidea:

Didn't know it was just today's coaches. In that case

Rich Rod on offense
Nick Saban on defense
Frank Beamer on special teams

Oddly the VTs defense, which is basically a 4-4 front, and Saban's biggest influence all originated out of the Left Coast in Washignton Coach Don James.

Offense: Snyder/RichRod/Leach
Defense: Patterson/Strong/Derek Mason.. for pushing the 3-3-5 defense (though I think it was born at MissState under Joe Lee Dunn?). Mason for bringing back the Bear front

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, whenever you see some post a link on their first post, please PM me immediately with a link to it. :suds:

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly the VTs defense, which is basically a 4-4 front, and Saban's biggest influence all originated out of the Left Coast in Washignton Coach Don James.

Offense: Snyder/RichRod/Leach
Defense: Patterson/Strong/Derek Mason.. for pushing the 3-3-5 defense (though I think it was born at MissState under Joe Lee Dunn?). Mason for bringing back the Bear front

So did Don James create it in Washington or at Kent State?

Just wondering because I don't know for sure. He may have started it at Kent State but perfected in Washington. I'd have to look it up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did Don James create it in Washington or at Kent State?

Just wondering because I don't know for sure. He may have started it at Kent State but perfected in Washington. I'd have to look it up.

Worked with Saban and Gary Pinkel @ Kent State. Saban said James was his biggest influence, but I think schematically he got most from Belichek and Parcells.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys sure it was Don James? This article says it was Lambright that started it at Washington:

Deconstructing: How the Hokie D becomes deadlier as it adapts - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports

They called their particular scheme, which was first refined at the University of Washington under its former defensive coordinator and head coach Jim Lambright, the "G," and it was a variant of a "4-4" front.

Also pretty interesting is seeing how Foster has adapted it due to the spread offense over the last decade.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys sure it was Don James? This article says it was Lambright that started it at Washington:

Deconstructing: How the Hokie D becomes deadlier as it adapts - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Also pretty interesting is seeing how Foster has adapted it due to the spread offense over the last decade.

Lambright was the DC under James. I gave James the credit. I was just responding to his post that had both Saban and VT mentioned and how oddly a coach from Washington shaped the 2 programs.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hell didnt Bob revolutionize the spread when he came to OU?? I could be wrong but there werent too many teams using that kind of offense prior to Leach bringing it from Tucky to OU.

You mean besides various west coast teams for 20 plus years before that? New to the region maybe.

Leach is good at what he does, but all he's really done in terms of innovation is turn his version up to 11.

Last edited by a moderator: