• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most Hated Since 1969

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement says it all about Al Davis.

"Wayne Valley isn't sure that's the right way to do it. "Who are the geniuses in this game?" he says. "Lombardi. Brown. How can you tell? They put their guts on the line. They're judged as coaches."

Davis disagrees. He believes that Lombardi, who had one year as a losing general manager at Green Bay, could have had better results if only he had paid more attention. "Instead, he let his coach run the team and he played golf." Al Davis doesn't play golf."

He couldn't change, even when he was too old to do it anymore.

Great article though; written in 1969:

The Most Hated Winner In Football: Al Davis In 1969

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement says it all about Al Davis.

"Wayne Valley isn't sure that's the right way to do it. "Who are the geniuses in this game?" he says. "Lombardi. Brown. How can you tell? They put their guts on the line. They're judged as coaches."

Davis disagrees. He believes that Lombardi, who had one year as a losing general manager at Green Bay, could have had better results if only he had paid more attention. "Instead, he let his coach run the team and he played golf." Al Davis doesn't play golf."

He couldn't change, even when he was too old to do it anymore.

Great article though; written in 1969:

The Most Hated Winner In Football: Al Davis In 1969

Great article indeed!

It does provide insight into the maniacal fervor that motivated him, and also his reluctance to delegate authority as his faculties deteriorated. If only he had enough foresight to imagine how his beloved team would suffer as the game evolved while he clung to power until his last gasp.

The Raiders are only now beginning to experience a modern transformation, I hope Mark Davis doesn't see himself in that same mold.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great article indeed!

It does provide insight into the maniacal fervor that motivated him, and also his reluctance to delegate authority as his faculties deteriorated. If only he had enough foresight to imagine how his beloved team would suffer as the game evolved while he clung to power until his last gasp.

The Raiders are only now beginning to experience a modern transformation, I hope Mark Davis doesn't see himself in that same mold.

I thought it was a great article as well. Al was definitely ahead of his time when it was written. I think that he was always trying to do what was best for the team but at the end, he sadly didn't have the energy or forsight he once had. I don't think Mark will be like his father in that respect. I don't think he is into every single detail or nuance that Al was. And yes, the Raiders are finally coming into the current age of Pro Football.