• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More Overrated and Overpaid: Jeter or Pedroia?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and ESPN has a hard-on for them as well.

um.... the ball was a foot to his left... why are you so amazed by a play like that - saying to commentators out tehere
But I think that most people at this point understand that E!SPN is little more than the sports version of TMZ. Even casual sports fans see it. There's so much backlash against them throughout the country. The only reason people still tune in is because it's so engrained in the sports culture. They don't tune in for the quality of the product anymore.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could combine the two and they won't be as overrated as AFraud.
Who "rates" A-Rod? Everyone fucking hates him and everyone thinks he sucks. If anything, he may be underrated at this point.

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could combine the two and they won't be as overrated as AFraud.

So Arod was overrated for what he did? Regardless of how you feel about Arod or think he was only good because of something he took, the play and numbers still say he wasn't overrated as they are.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you break down how much a guy gets per plate appearance or inning pitched especially with the top end talent it's ridiculous.

We have all seen the stats such as so far in 2013 Zito is currently making 185,000k per inning. Justin Verlander 152,000k an inning. Cabrera 47k per at bat.

Those are halfway stats so just cut in half for end of year. Now look at Jeter and A-Rod.....

I am not going to knock a guy for getting what they can it's the business and if my team doesn't give them the cash another will but just think the numbers are ridiculous.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you break down how much a guy gets per plate appearance or inning pitched especially with the top end talent it's ridiculous.

We have all seen the stats such as so far in 2013 Zito is currently making 185,000k per inning. Justin Verlander 152,000k an inning. Cabrera 47k per at bat.

Those are halfway stats so just cut in half for end of year. Now look at Jeter and A-Rod.....

I am not going to knock a guy for getting what they can it's the business and if my team doesn't give them the cash another will but just think the numbers are ridiculous.

I don't think you're looking at the issue the right way. Baseball (and professional sports in general) generates a shit-ton of revenue. That revenue is going to be there whether players make 20 million or 20 thousand. The owners will always try and charge the most they possibly can get away with charging. It's capitalism. So the game is going to keep generating more and more revenue as time goes on.

Where should all that revenue go? In the owner's pocket? In the pockets of guys who don't contribute to the on-field product? The guy who just sits in a luxury box and is *guaranteed* to sell his franchise for a much higher price than he paid to purchase it? Do you pay to see that guy sit in his box and sip cocktails? Or do you pay to see the players? Aren't they the ones who create the product that draws your interest? So if you're paying to see them, and the league is generating all this revenue, shouldn't they be compensated accordingly? These are all rhetorical questions.

People seem to be under the delusion that player salaries drive ticket prices and concession prices, etc. etc. Nope. It's the other way around. Player salaries increase as revenue increases because it's required by the CBA. If players were to take a 50% salary cut tomorrow, ticket prices wouldn't drop a penny as long as the demand was there. So if player salaries stagnate, and revenue continues to increase, that means that people who have an insignificant role in making baseball the great entertainment industry that it is are getting more free money. I'd rather see it go to the players, myself.

Those owners and upper management guys are obviously a necessary cog in the machine, and they deserve to get a piece of the pie because it's their investment (even though there's absolutely no risk). But wouldn't you say- for the value they add to the product (little) and the risk they carry (none)- that maybe 20% is a good cut? Well, they get 50% in most sports. In some sports, they get more. The guys who perform and train and put their bodies on the line to create the product that we all pay for, get 50%? Like I said, they're underpaid if anything.

Now, do some guys like Barry Zito deals they don't deserve? Fuck yes. Do most big-time free agent contracts work out? Nope. But it all balances out in the end, because you have so many young, cost controlled players in their prime making a fraction of their potential market value and don't hit free agency until many of their best years are behind them. So a player is underpaid for years to later become overpaid. Like I said, it all balances out.\

Sorry for the rant, but it just bugs me when people complain about player salaries. You wouldn't turn those contracts down.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I wouldn't but thats not the point.

The same way I think there is no way in the world Justin Beiber should be a millionaire either but he is. It's capitalism and I am fine with that but that doesn't change the fact I think some people make way to much money for what they do. Owners as well as players.

When it cost me $225-275 to take my family to 1 ball game I can't help but think the owners and ball players are sticking it right in my ass.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I wouldn't but thats not the point.

The same way I think there is no way in the world Justin Beiber should be a millionaire either but he is. It's capitalism and I am fine with that but that doesn't change the fact I think some people make way to much money for what they do. Owners as well as players.

When it cost me $225-275 to take my family to 1 ball game I can't help but think the owners and ball players are sticking it right in my ass.
So don't go. If enough people share your sentiment and stop going, that's the only way ticket prices will ever come down, and player salaries as well.

Until then, it's an extremely lucrative industry that people are willing to pay big money for. So the people producing the entertainment should be well paid.

And FWIW, baseball is still the most affordable sport to attend, and you get your money's worth in my opinion.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think is more overrated and overpaid between Jeter and Pedroia?

It's ironic that Yankees and Red Sox fans go back and forth, but their heroes get the same overratedness and hero treatment.

I personally feel both of these guys aren't worth the salaries or hype they get.

Jeter was/is worth every penny he got from the Yankees.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much revenue does baseball bring in? They're all underpaid if anything. Too much money going to owners who provide no value and have no risk.

Tongue-in-cheek comment on my part. It sounded a bit more humorous with the rest of my post.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bump.... Funny to see how someone thought Pedroia was over-rated or over-paid...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a comparison of each through roughly 1100 games

Jeter - .317/.389/.463, 121 OPS+, 1390 H, 839 R, 117 HR, 563 RBI, 167 SB
Pedroia-314/.366/.444, 115 OPS+, 1371 H, 723 R, 106 HR, 546 RBI, 125 SB

Pretty close offensively, although Jeter was 28 at that time while Pedroia is 31.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another brilliant reminder of how much of a fucking idiot MarlinsFanBase/Teal Swordsman was.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:shocked:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a comparison of each through roughly 1100 games

Jeter - .317/.389/.463, 121 OPS+, 1390 H, 839 R, 117 HR, 563 RBI, 167 SB
Pedroia-314/.366/.444, 115 OPS+, 1371 H, 723 R, 106 HR, 546 RBI, 125 SB

Pretty close offensively, although Jeter was 28 at that time while Pedroia is 31.

Jeter could absolutely hit. OPS+ is scaled to league average, right? So that considers the context of Jeter's first 1100 games being in, by and large, a more offensive environment. Because, honestly, the slash line looks too close to me for that to be the case.

Then again, Jeter played shortstop (no matter how well or how poorly), and that gives him a value boost, as well.

I'm just amazed there were that many players worse than Upton.

Cozart's in the right spot, though. :nod: