• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More Overrated and Overpaid: Jeter or Pedroia?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeters defense is definitely more over hyped.
Again, this is a thing of the past. The general baseball public has finally come around to the fact that Jeter isn't a great defender. They haven't accepted that he never was, but they at least recognize how limited he is defensively at this stage.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't act like you don't know exactly what I meant. Jeter doesn't give you 45 HRS and 120-150 RBIs like prime A-Rod did. A-Rod could be playing for the Houston Astros, and those numbers would stand up. The same can't be said for Jeter. He'd give you a .315 batting average with 15 hrs, but that's about it.

The only players in their prime today who put up these types of numbers or at least close to it constantly are Miguel Cabrera and Ryan Braun.
You realize there's a lot more to baseball than AVG, HR and RBI, right?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both players obviously have allot to offer. But if either had spent their career in KC or SD, how much would ESPN ram them down our throats?

Both overrated and both overpaid.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter's "jump throws" are a bit overrated but he isn't overatted/overpaid... I mean he plays in NY.... Just like Boston.... Money flows....Neither is Pedroia

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY Media bias as the center of the media world. Where ESPN is in Bristol, CT.
Really hurt Robin Yount, right? He played in what is probably the smallest market in baseball, won 2 MVPs and got in the HOF on the first ballot.

Again, this is overblown. Yes, great players stand out more in the major markets. They get more endorsements, and the pink hatters adore them. The way the media covers them also isn't the player's fault and shouldn't be held against them. But baseball's bread and butter is the dedicated fan. Dedicated fans know the key players on all teams, not just the major markets.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hurt Robin Yount, right? He played in what is probably the smallest market in baseball, won 2 MVPs and got in the HOF on the first ballot.

Again, this is overblown. Yes, great players stand out more in the major markets. They get more endorsements, and the pink hatters adore them. The way the media covers them also isn't the player's fault and shouldn't be held against them. But baseball's bread and butter is the dedicated fan. Dedicated fans know the key players on all teams, not just the major markets.

different eras though. I mean when Yount was playing espn didn't have as much "fame" (lack of better word) then they do now. In todays sports world sports channels are more popular then they earlier days.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both players obviously have allot to offer. But if either had spent their career in KC or SD, how much would ESPN ram them down our throats?

Both overrated and both overpaid.
How is that the player's fault?

In what way are they overrated? Could you explain? Pedroia is considered one of the top 2-3 2Bs in the game, which is exactly what he is. So he's "rated", in my opinion. How is he overpaid? Robinson Cano is likely to sign a contract that will average more than $20M/year. Pedroia just signed a deal that will pay him a shade over $14M annually. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Most people recognize that Jeter is at the very end of his career. They are respecting him for his career accomplishments at this point, though he is still obviously a good hitter. He's lauded because he's climbing the all-time hit list, and is considered one of the top handful of shortstops of all-time, which is exactly what he is. As for his salary, were he not hurt, I imagine he'd be underperforming his salary, but you also can't discount the addition revenue he brings to the Yankee franchise. He's worth every penny they've ever given him and then some. They've made so much money on Jeter's name, it's silly.

The Napoleon syndrome around here is alarming.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that the player's fault?

In what way are they overrated? Could you explain? Pedroia is considered one of the top 2-3 2Bs in the game, which is exactly what he is. So he's "rated", in my opinion. How is he overpaid? Robinson Cano is likely to sign a contract that will average more than $20M/year. Pedroia just signed a deal that will pay him a shade over $14M annually. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Most people recognize that Jeter is at the very end of his career. They are respecting him for his career accomplishments at this point, though he is still obviously a good hitter. He's lauded because he's climbing the all-time hit list, and is considered one of the top handful of shortstops of all-time, which is exactly what he is. As for his salary, were he not hurt, I imagine he'd be underperforming his salary, but you also can't discount the addition revenue he brings to the Yankee franchise. He's worth every penny they've ever given him and then some. They've made so much money on Jeter's name, it's silly.

The Napoleon syndrome around here is alarming.

I'm just saying players now a days get more hype BECAUSE of ESPN, CBS etc... Not saying Yount was over rated and if you read what I first posted I said I don't think either Jeter or Pedroia is overrated.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woops.... sleep deprived idiot here... you weren't responding to me. my bad!

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh right intangibles count so much
No, I'm talking about actual statistics, like OBP, SLG, OPS+, runs scored, stolen bases, wOBA, RC, etc. etc. All while coming at the shortstop position, which has very little offensive depth and therefore makes him valuable.

I can't believe that in 2013, people still look at AVG/HR/RBI first, and don't recognize positional differences.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm talking about actual statistics, like OBP, SLG, OPS+, runs scored, stolen bases, wOBA, RC, etc. etc. All while coming at the shortstop position, which has very little offensive depth and therefore makes him valuable.

I can't believe that in 2013, people still look at AVG/HR/RBI first, and don't recognize positional differences.

i know... I was just being a jerk since I figured someone would bring that up.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter's "jump throws" are a bit overrated but he isn't overatted/overpaid... I mean he plays in NY.... Just like Boston.... Money flows....Neither is Pedroia
I agree about the jump throw. The jump throw is actually an indictment of Jeter's awful range. The plays he has to make the jump throw are routine for every other MLB shortstop.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the jump throw. The jump throw is actually an indictment of Jeter's awful range. The plays he has to make the jump throw are routine for every other MLB shortstop.

and ESPN has a hard-on for them as well.

um.... the ball was a foot to his left... why are you so amazed by a play like that - saying to commentators out tehere

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could combine the two and they won't be as overrated as AFraud.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
different eras though. I mean when Yount was playing espn didn't have as much "fame" (lack of better word) then they do now. In todays sports world sports channels are more popular then they earlier days.
If anything, it's the opposite. It should have been *LESS* likely that Yount was a nationally known name because of the lack of constant media presence.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
argggg... Braun

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Braun.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking the question at the end of Jeters career and in the middle of Pedroia's seems a little skewed. Jeter is probably a first vote hall of fame member. While Pedroia it's up in the air.

I would take Jeter at the beginning of his career before Pedroia. Overall IMO no player is worth what they are paid.