• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More bullshit targeting calls.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't help you in regards to the review booth, just passing what an on-field official told me they were instructed to do. Once it goes to the booth it's out of their hands.
The problem with the replay booth guys is that if they start second-guessing the field call, then the thinking is, the guys on the field will be less likely to call it. I think the booth guys were given the same "all things being equal, throw the flag" speech as the field guys. I have yet to see one get overturned, and a lot of ones where the contact is, at best, incidental because the offensive player is lowering their head to deliver a shot. The defensive player at full speed, if he's trying to adhere to the rule, is already going low to avoid the head/neck area, and the helmets end up colliding. Those are the worst calls because there is literally nothing a defensive player can do in that situation.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the replay booth guys is that if they start second-guessing the field call, then the thinking is, the guys on the field will be less likely to call it. I think the booth guys were given the same "all things being equal, throw the flag" speech as the field guys. I have yet to see one get overturned, and a lot of ones where the contact is, at best, incidental because the offensive player is lowering their head to deliver a shot. The defensive player at full speed, if he's trying to adhere to the rule, is already going low to avoid the head/neck area, and the helmets end up colliding. Those are the worst calls because there is literally nothing a defensive player can do in that situation.

You must not watch much football. I've seen a number of them overturned.

The truth of the matter is both on the field and in the booth officials are going to err on the side of caution and when in doubt it's going to be upheld. With the focus on CTE and player safety there is absolutely no way that they are going to loosen this rule anytime soon so you best get used to it. It sucks if your player gets caught up in that and is great if an opposing player gets caught.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Led with the shoulder to the chest, head to the side. Receiver caught the ball and took 2 steps up field.

Definitely targeting (/s).

PS. Love the call.
And this wasn't even reviewed.Hate the call but if they are going to call it.At least be consistent imo

gZjYqfA.gif

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Led with the shoulder to the chest, head to the side. Receiver caught the ball and took 2 steps up field.

PS. Love the call.
Gus is one of my favorites. His call of a UW/Arizona Pac 12 championship Bball game when Isaiah Thomas hit a buzzer beating game winner is forever in my mind.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PS. Love the call.

Laughed for a good few seconds after his call of that play. Then both him and Joel klatt are like "they are reviewing the call on the field to see if its a fumble...wait, they called that targeting?!"

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
called on the field, confirmed by replay.

Does the SEC even know what targeting is?

Apparently the problem is that it's only targeting when a non-SEC player supposedly does it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
called on the field, confirmed by replay.

Does the SEC even know what targeting is?

BS on both accounts.

Its LSU they weren't going to call that in that game at that moment. Which in itself is BS. That's targeting not the first one

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wade call was more “bad rule” than “bad call”.

Lawrence is 6’6”. Had he not lowered his head, this would’ve been a no call (well, assuming away some usual SEC ref retardation). Unfortunately, targeting is yet another area in which offense strictly dictates. Offensive players blatantly can lead with their heads and it almost never gets called. A defender going full speed simply cannot react to every ducking move.

It’s a well intentioned but really bad rule. In that instance, it extended a drive AND cost tOSU a defender for the game. At some point, people need to understand that football is a sometimes dangerous contact sport. If you want no fear of concussions, stick to golf or tennis.