• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Morales will get a qualifying offer

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Z was on a couple of different radio shows today and when asked about Morales he answered "that he intended to make him a qualifying offer."

I think that comes out to 13-14mil and we could get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere.

So I guess we ask ourselves is he worth it and do we want him back? Is there any chance a regular deal can be negotiated? I think of the free agents out there he has the best chance of being a Mariner in 2014.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth it? Who knows. It's just one year. Losing him makes us even worse so I'm all for keeping him. I'd love for another team to sign him but he's practically limited to the AL and even then it isn't looking good for him. I'd love to get the comp. pick but I'm betting if we throw that QO to him he will be taking it. So with that said I could care less.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's worth it, IMO.

It would be different if the M's currently had anybody as good as he is offensively...but even more importantly, having the stable bat amongst all of the children is invaluable, and he seems to have embraced the role as a mentor. That's something you don't mess around with, IMO.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between Chone Figgins, Guti, Joe Saunders, Morales, Ibanez and Shoppach you about 31 million coming of the books for this year.
If you are under the impression the "core" will make up most of the team then I think its worth it IMO. Worst case scenario someone over pays and we end up with a sandwich pick.

If not Morales then who, really?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think he's worth it, but at the same time there isn't really anything that will replace the offense he brings. I would love to get him for less than $13 million, but I'd rather spend the money than watch what little offense we have start walking out the door. So, he'll be overpaid if he stays, but the alternative just doesn't look good.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ibanez isn't brought back, there needs to be some veteran stability in the lineup, particularly in the middle of it, and Morales would provide that again. I think the M's ought to do as much as they can to keep him here. If they can do that, they need to make him the full-time DH so we don't have to deal with clogging up so much of the roster with DH/1B/OF types because we're uncertain about who can do what again. Doing so should allow us to find corner outfielders who can do more than just hit homeruns and play bad defense.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to hope Morales gets picked up by a contender.. Then we get the pick and then we sign Corey Hart to a 1yr deal.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's have been pretty consistent about the QO the entire month of Oct.

Morales/Boras has said he will decline.

Either Boras has another team willing to give him the same or more, or another team is willing to sign him to a multi-year offer for slightly less per year.....OR Boras knows that the M's will probably be willing to pay more.

Given that without Morales, the M's have literally ZERO legitimate 3-5 hitters (Seager is the closest, and has a bit to go if we're talking about a team that can play .500 or possibly contend for a pennant), that puts he and his agent in the drivers' seat a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's have been pretty consistent about the QO the entire month of Oct.

Morales/Boras has said he will decline.

Either Boras has another team willing to give him the same or more, or another team is willing to sign him to a multi-year offer for slightly less per year.....OR Boras knows that the M's will probably be willing to pay more.

Given that without Morales, the M's have literally ZERO legitimate 3-5 hitters (Seager is the closest, and has a bit to go if we're talking about a team that can play .500 or possibly contend for a pennant), that puts he and his agent in the drivers' seat a bit.

That's why we go after Hart.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let morales go if he truly has a better offer. sign hart and from out in left field trade maurer to and romero (if we aren't going to use him to the cubs for voglebach and olt. move seager to second like has been rumoured before and if skoak don't come out of the gate with both barrels firing lose him. that kid voglebach has the highest power potential of ANY prospect and hits for average and takes walks. Not the greatest 1b but will be a power bat for a long time. look him up