• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock Draft Chat

Hall

Hoopla Cash
$ 128,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you drop Baylor innto the mid 2000s with his set shot, yes he would struggle and Peja would be killing it. Obviously dominance over Era has Elgin way ahead.

It all depends on what you believe, and I understand both aides.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of confidence in them mastering the additional pitches they would need to be AS successful again today's hitters. I find it more reasonable to think that most of the old greats would still be good but not have near the level of success they had against their own era.
I disagree. Why was Barry Bonds considered great? It's because of his numbers vs the numbers of his contemporaries. If there were 106 guys with 70+ HR's in 2001, would he have been considered the guy with the greatest statistical season or just another dude in 2001? He was better than everyone else. If he played 100 years ago, he still would have been a great player, but even if he were the same guy he was born as in 1964, he would have never hit 73 bombs in a season, because he would have weighed his natural weight of 185.
On a side, it's hard for me to not see today's numbers as being inflated. While MLB is doing more to keep the juice out of the game, it's rampant at the lower levels. My son plays college baseball, and I have coached more than 50 kids who are now in college or the minors. In talking to all of them, the numbers of guys who are using juice is at least 70-75%. It's everywhere, and in many programs, the coaches not only know about it, they condone it. And that's in baseball. Football, lol...It is what it is

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you drop Baylor innto the mid 2000s with his set shot, yes he would struggle and Peja would be killing it. Obviously dominance over Era has Elgin way ahead.

It all depends on what you believe, and I understand both aides.
Yes, but if Baylor were born is 1990, with the same desire and body, he would be 20 pounds heavier and an even better athlete, simply through today's nutrition and workout programs, he would have played AAU ball, gone to camps, etc, and would have been a far better version of the Hall of Famer that he was

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruth was also so good, that he didn't have to find a full time job... that helped him a lot... He was able to focus on his baseball conditioning more than any other player back then... sure conditioning back then is not what it was, but I am sure people at least understood some strength training...
One thing that's overlooked about men from back then was how physically strong they were because everything wasn't automated. Mickey Mantle wasn't the biggest guy I have ever seen, but the dude had forearms like Popeye. I remember my Grandpa and even my Pops being that way. My biceps are quite a bit bigger than theirs were, but their forearms were bigger than mine. I was talking to a buddy of mine that owns a big tire and auto shop, he's still got some big pipes from being in the industry for 30 years, but he said whereas when he first started, everything was manual, now, he has machines that would allow an 8 year old to change a tire by pushing a few buttons. He actually showed me the promotional video to prove it. Big hands and forearms don't mean as much in the NFL and NBA, but they matter in baseball

Hall

Hoopla Cash
$ 128,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but if Baylor were born is 1990, with the same desire and body, he would be 20 pounds heavier and an even better athlete, simply through today's nutrition and workout programs, he would have played AAU ball, gone to camps, etc, and would have been a far better version of the Hall of Famer that he was

Perhaps, but he maybe also doesn't develop a better shot like many people do nowadays and while he may be a better athlete he is surrounded by better ones as well.

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor was a 6'5 SF who dominated the boards, which was a respectable sized piece of his greatness. In your modern fairytale version is he also picking up an additional 4 or 5 inches of height so that can continue to be the case? Or in addition to all of the other assumptions you are making, are you also switching him over to SG and altering his entire skillset to fit the modern game?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but he maybe also doesn't develop a better shot like many people do nowadays and while he may be a better athlete he is surrounded by better ones as well.

I feel that the older generation guys that had jumpshots like Jerry West would be pure shooters but that is why comparing is impossible bc we dont know

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor was a 6'5 SF who dominated the boards, which was a respectable sized piece of his greatness. In your modern fairytale version is he also picking up an additional 4 or 5 inches of height so that can continue to be the case? Or in addition to all of the other assumptions you are making, are you also switching him over to SG and altering his entire skillset to fit the modern game?

Rodman is 6'6 1/2 - 6'7 and averaged 13 a game for his career Shawn Bradley is 7'6 and averaged 6 boards a game, you don't have to be tall to be a good rebounder.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy how you guys have no respect for the older players, lolzzz

Hall

Hoopla Cash
$ 128,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you got the impression that I don't respect them.

One of my favorite NFL players of all time is Lenny Moore. I think he'd be a terror in today's game.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you got the impression that I don't respect them.

One of my favorite NFL players of all time is Lenny Moore. I think he'd be a terror in today's game.

So, you pick and choose who would be great in today's game?

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are almost ready to start the MLB draft, trying to get one more to get us started...

:suds::suds::suds::suds:

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodman is 6'6 1/2 - 6'7 and averaged 13 a game for his career Shawn Bradley is 7'6 and averaged 6 boards a game, you don't have to be tall to be a good rebounder.
No, you don't, and I'm sure he'd still be a decent rebounder, just not an elite one like he was against his era. More like a DWade type of guy. He was the average size (I'm assuming) for his position then and was ahead of his time athletically. That wouldn't be the case of he was teleported to today. I believe he had something like 5 or 6 seasons above 13 rpg in his career and had a season where he avgd 17+. That is not happening today as a 6'5 SF (or or most likely a conversion to SG). Today he'd be small for SF, avg for SG and imo there are lots of players in the NBA today who are better athletes than he was, even if you give him the benefit of 40/50 years of modern nutrition and training. I think he would have to be a different type of player that he was then to be the best version of himself in the modern NBA. I respect your opinions if you are comfortable making the assumption that he was great enough to be able to modify whatever he needed to in order to still be great today. I'm just not as confident that he would.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think that some people would translate and some people would not?

Jim Brown and Bill Russell wouldn't everyone else probably...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, as long as you guys agree John Elway was amazingly overrated i'm cool with whatever else ya say. :suds:

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you pick and choose who would be great in today's game?
I personally do. I'd wager that we ALL do to an extent. We all have our own ranking systems of which guys we like from long ago. That is part of the fun of doing these for me....critically analyzing who I think would translate better to today's game or acrosfls different eras (works backwards too) for their respective sports.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally do. I'd wager that we ALL do to an extent. We all have our own ranking systems of which guys we like from long ago. That is part of the fun of doing these for me....critically analyzing who I think would translate better to today's game or acrosfls different eras (works backwards too) for their respective sports.

You are going to fit in just fine here!