• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mobley signs 5 Year Contract Extension

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Evan Mobley will now be a Cavalier through at least the 2028-2029 season.

With all those 1st round picks going to the Jazz in the years to come- it was so important to get this done- but it all started with Donovan Mitchell re-signing. The Jazz have to be extremely disappointed.

Cavaliers now have Mitchell, Mobley and Garland under long term deals under rates that will just look better and better as the salary cap explodes- they will avoid the tax line this year too which is important for the long term build of the franchise. This deal guarantees that Garland, Mitchell and Mobley will be together for their primes (unless of course a trade is made).

This gives the Cavs a 3-5 year run way to keep growing together and keep taking steps forward- gives them a great base and stability while still leaving them flexibility---- delaying going into the tax for 1 more year is also huge for roster flexibility.

Not counting Mobley- Cleveland- in the last 10 years has signed free agents LeBron James, Kevin Love (twice), and Donovan Mitchell- 3 Hall of Fame Talents---- in addition to Garland and Mobley- great young talents coming off rookie deals.

Think of that- Cleveland- a small market team that @tlance said could not sign these guys- signed LeBron James, Kevin Love (twice), and Donovan Mitchell- to long term contract extensions-- it just goes to show you that if you are a small market team that builds the right culture and team- you can sign big time free agents that could go anywhere and demand a max salary.

@dtgold88 @Shanemansj13

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance how much better run are the Cavaliers than the Wizards? Wizards play in one of the top 10 markets in the league in DC--- but are just fools- while the Cavs just keep drafting, trading for and signing top talent.

Even the Twolves have broken out of their almost 2 decade down period to have some of the best talent and a great team- while the Wizards have sucked, and sucked, and drafted wrong, and waited too long on trades, and signed the wrong guys.

A big market is an advantage- but it guarantees NOTHING- and a small market with good management, a good culture, and the right guys will beat a sorry ass big market team like the Wiz every single year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither Mobley or Garland NEEDED to take 5 year deals either. Each could have signed shorter deals if they wanted too--- especially Mobley since he is practically guaranteed to be max for a long long time.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This happened in the off season I believe

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a huge season for Garland, could be a make or break in Atkinson’s system.
Hopefully Mobley now takes the next step on offense and has the ball in his hands more. This could unlock another level to him

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Evan Mobley will now be a Cavalier through at least the 2028-2029 season.

With all those 1st round picks going to the Jazz in the years to come- it was so important to get this done- but it all started with Donovan Mitchell re-signing. The Jazz have to be extremely disappointed.

Cavaliers now have Mitchell, Mobley and Garland under long term deals under rates that will just look better and better as the salary cap explodes- they will avoid the tax line this year too which is important for the long term build of the franchise. This deal guarantees that Garland, Mitchell and Mobley will be together for their primes (unless of course a trade is made).

This gives the Cavs a 3-5 year run way to keep growing together and keep taking steps forward- gives them a great base and stability while still leaving them flexibility---- delaying going into the tax for 1 more year is also huge for roster flexibility.

Not counting Mobley- Cleveland- in the last 10 years has signed free agents LeBron James, Kevin Love (twice), and Donovan Mitchell- 3 Hall of Fame Talents---- in addition to Garland and Mobley- great young talents coming off rookie deals.

Think of that- Cleveland- a small market team that @tlance said could not sign these guys- signed LeBron James, Kevin Love (twice), and Donovan Mitchell- to long term contract extensions-- it just goes to show you that if you are a small market team that builds the right culture and team- you can sign big time free agents that could go anywhere and demand a max salary.

@dtgold88 @Shanemansj13
The only one here that’s a free agent signing is LeBron and he grew up in Akron and was coming home. Kevin Love and Donovan Mitchell were acquired by trade. In the NBA, the team that owns your rights has a leg up in being able to pay you the highest salary.

Again…you over state things with your hyperbole. Cleveland isn’t a free agent destination and that’s ok. They don’t have to be. They just have to conduct business differently than Miami, Lakers and the New York teams. There aren’t many destination cities in the NBA.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance how much better run are the Cavaliers than the Wizards? Wizards play in one of the top 10 markets in the league in DC--- but are just fools- while the Cavs just keep drafting, trading for and signing top talent.

Even the Twolves have broken out of their almost 2 decade down period to have some of the best talent and a great team- while the Wizards have sucked, and sucked, and drafted wrong, and waited too long on trades, and signed the wrong guys.

A big market is an advantage- but it guarantees NOTHING- and a small market with good management, a good culture, and the right guys will beat a sorry ass big market team like the Wiz every single year.
This is why you’re Wiggy. You call out one of the worst franchises in the league and you’re talking shit. This is tantamount to an Ohio State fan flexing on Youngstown St for lacking the college football history that the Buckeyes do.

Wait…bad example because fans of that diploma mill actually do stupid shit like flex on Youngstown state. There’s gay and then there’s Ohio gay.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a huge season for Garland, could be a make or break in Atkinson’s system.
Hopefully Mobley now takes the next step on offense and has the ball in his hands more. This could unlock another level to him
That’s the only way the Cavs rise to the level Wiggy wants to elevate them to. Mobley needs to become their best player or at least rise to a level where there is a debate whether or not Mobley or Mitchell is the best player. Right now Mobley is an inconsistent and meek 3rd option who doesn’t assert himself enough on a rookie max deal.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the only way the Cavs rise to the level Wiggy wants to elevate them to. Mobley needs to become their best player or at least rise to a level where there is a debate whether or not Mobley or Mitchell is the best player. Right now Mobley is an inconsistent and meek 3rd option who doesn’t assert himself enough on a rookie max deal.

As if paying him a ton more suddenly makes him an improved player. They still need him to put in the work, hopefully he does. Even that isn't a guarantee that he's ends up worth $38-51M per on this contract.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if paying him a ton more suddenly makes him an improved player. They still need him to put in the work, hopefully he does. Even that isn't a guarantee that he's ends up worth $38-51M per on this contract.
He’s still young but it seems like his leap is late.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it fit, or perhaps he just isn't going to be that player? Only time will tell I guess (and we may never know about fit).
We will see. I stepped out the day of the Mitchell trade and said one basketball with ball dominant Mitchell and Garland would harm the development of Mobley. Not sure I was right on the cause but his development is definitely happening slowly.

Not over though. Still time for him to find it. He better hurry though as he is probably most responsible for Bickerstaff losing his job.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,841.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These contracts are absolutely nuts.

But, I will say this....I like the deal for Mobley more than Barnes....

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These contracts are absolutely nuts.

But, I will say this....I like the deal for Mobley more than Barnes....
It’s actually the same deal and I think Barnes has already shown the rise to justify a max. Mobley is a projection of potential that he will be worth that max number

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,841.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s actually the same deal and I think Barnes has already shown the rise to justify a max. Mobley is a projection of potential that he will be worth that max number
Sorry.

What I meant is I like Mobley more long term.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,841.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes is a good player but is it the case of a good player on a bad team?

Mobley is a also a good player but on a better team. And Mobley isn't the primary option on the Cavs like Barnes is on the Raps. And he handles the ball a lot more than Mobley who is a big and cannot always get his FGA's. That is dependent on the PG getting him the ball.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes is a good player but is it the case of a good player on a bad team?

Mobley is an also a good player but on a better team. And Mobley isn't the primary option on the Cavs like Barnes is on the Raps. And he handles the ball a lot more than Mobley who is a big and cannot always get his FGA's. That is dependent on the PG getting him the ball.
If we are explaining away stats you’ve done that. I’m just assessing the players and how they play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s still young but it seems like his leap is late.

He may be an AD type player. Talented enough to be a teams #1, but has the temperament of a #2.

When he was at USC, his brother Isaiah was the leader of that team. At the time I thought that it was because he was a freshman while Isaiah was, I believe, a junior. But maybe he just doesn't have the temperament of a #1.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,841.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be an AD type player. Talented enough to be a teams #1, but has the temperament of a #2.

When he was at USC, his brother Isaiah was the leader of that team. At the time I thought that it was because he was a freshman while Isaiah was, I believe, a junior. But maybe he just doesn't have the temperament of a #1.
AD-lite is what I think he will eventually be.