• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB loves boston prospects

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rated Bogarts the #1 short-stop prospect (he'll likely be the everyday Boston SS this year).
Xander Bogaerts heads list of MLB.com's top 10 shortstop prospects | MLB.com: News

They rated Owens #2 and Ball the #9 LHP prospects:
Miami's Heaney ranked top left-handed pitching prospect | MLB.com: News

I'm surprised Webster isn't on their RHP list, but whatever... Good list:
Archie Bradley atop MLB.com's list of top 10 right-handed pitching prospects | MLB.com: News

Other positions to be posted:
• Thu., 1/16 - Catchers
• Fri., 1/17 - First basemen
• Mon., 1/19 - Second basemen
• Tue., 1/20 - Third basemen
• Wed., 1/21 - Outfielders

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can stay healthy Travis D'Arnaud is an under the radar player for the Mets. According to many he's the top catching prospect and this will be his first full year in the majors. If he can be half as good as he's been hyped he could be a lock for the 5 spot in the order behind Wright and Granderson.

Syndergaard won't be in the majors this year but it's nice having a guy that highly ranked waiting in the wings.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rated Bogarts the #1 short-stop prospect (he'll likely be the everyday Boston SS this year).
Xander Bogaerts heads list of MLB.com's top 10 shortstop prospects | MLB.com: News

They rated Owens #2 and Ball the #9 LHP prospects:
Miami's Heaney ranked top left-handed pitching prospect | MLB.com: News

I'm surprised Webster isn't on their RHP list, but whatever... Good list:
Archie Bradley atop MLB.com's list of top 10 right-handed pitching prospects | MLB.com: News

Other positions to be posted:
• Thu., 1/16 - Catchers
• Fri., 1/17 - First basemen
• Mon., 1/19 - Second basemen
• Tue., 1/20 - Third basemen
• Wed., 1/21 - Outfielders

Boston has a great system right now - probably a top 5 system with Cubs, Twins, Houston a bit ahead - but Webster shouldn't be anywhere near it. Besides the 10 they named, Zimmer, Appel, Gray, Meyer, Sanchez, Guerrieri, Ventura, Ordozzi, Stewart and Crick should all be ahead of him. And I'm probably missing some.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has a great system right now - probably a top 5 system with Cubs, Twins, Houston a bit ahead - but Webster shouldn't be anywhere near it. Besides the 10 they named, Zimmer, Appel, Gray, Meyer, Sanchez, Guerrieri, Ventura, Ordozzi, Stewart and Crick should all be ahead of him. And I'm probably missing some.

I agree. I only said Webster because he is probably the Sox best RHP prospect - and if MLB loved Sox prospects, he would be on the list... I also agree with the Sox system. They have a few kids rising fast. I expect two or three more to make MLB's top tens...

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I only said Webster because he is probably the Sox best RHP prospect - and if MLB loved Sox prospects, he would be on the list... I also agree with the Sox system. They have a few kids rising fast. I expect two or three more to make MLB's top tens...

Obviously Bogaerts is your crown jewel but Owens is a gem and will certainly be a top 10 LHP and one could argue that Trey Ball is a top 10 LHP (which might be more of an indication of where LHP is but still ...). Bradley might make it depending on how they break it down - he's certainly a top 10 center fielder but I think they just do 10 outfielders so he might miss that cut but it'll be close. Swihart made the catching list. And Cecchini should be a top 10 3B.

Really good system, I think you could make a solid argument that it's better than Houston - at least until they add Rodon in the draft. Still like MN and Cubs better.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Bogaerts is your crown jewel but Owens is a gem and will certainly be a top 10 LHP and one could argue that Trey Ball is a top 10 LHP (which might be more of an indication of where LHP is but still ...). Bradley might make it depending on how they break it down - he's certainly a top 10 center fielder but I think they just do 10 outfielders so he might miss that cut but it'll be close. Swihart made the catching list. And Cecchini should be a top 10 3B.

Really good system, I think you could make a solid argument that it's better than Houston - at least until they add Rodon in the draft. Still like MN and Cubs better.

Nice analysis (as usual)...

One other kid that shot up the charts last year is Mookie Betts. They switched him from short to second last year and he hit 15 HR. (He said he never even hit a homerun in high school!) It is obviously unrelated to the position change, but it is nice to see this small kid with a great glove develope some power in the lower minor leagues. He'll be fun to watch.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't argue with those two. Regardless, it's very difficult not to be excited about the future of Red Sox baseball (at least if you're a fan).

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has some decent prospects, and Boston certainly has their fair share as you've pointed out. I don't expect Webster to become a top line SP, but you never know. If he is Boston's top RHP prospect, then one could argue that Boston is deficient in that area. But again, time will tell.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has some decent prospects, and Boston certainly has their fair share as you've pointed out. I don't expect Webster to become a top line SP, but you never know. If he is Boston's top RHP prospect, then one could argue that Boston is deficient in that area. But again, time will tell.

Ranaudo and Barnes might be better prospects than Webster.

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a Twins fans so I have no dog in this but I think Webster can be a pretty solid #3 type pitcher (think a healthy Scott Baker). That's a good prospect, probably a back of the top 100 type. Boston arguably has two better RHP prospects in Barnes and Ranaudo. Ranaudo certainly has more upside but health and command are issues.

I've linked an article from minorleagueball that defines the different types of pitchers - ace, #2, #3 etc which shows that a real #3 is a dang good prospect.

Defining 1-2-3-4-5 Starters - Minor League Ball

Lastly, some teams don't have decent prospects. Jason Parks, a prospect guy for BP, ranked the Twins #11-20 prospects better than at least 3 clubs #1-10. What's unusual about the Red Sox is that they have a pretty solid system while winning - they did a good job of going over slot to get guys like Ranaudo and were active enough in the international market to nab Bogaerts. Some decent trades and the ability to offer arbitration to guys to get extra picks has helped considerably as well.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned, Swihart made the top ten C list:
MLB.com's list of Top 10 catching prospects | MLB.com: News

As expected, Mookie Betts is ranked among the best 2B prospects. I was a bit surprised they have him #3...
Kolten Wong headlines Prospect Watch's Top 10 second basemen | MLB.com: News

Garrin Cecchini is ranked the #6 best 3B prospect (about where he should be):
MLB.com's Prospect Watch: MLB.com's Top 10 third basemen | MLB.com: News

A bit of a surprise was the Red Sox Travis Shaw coming in at #8 for 1B. I did not see that coming - I guess the field is weak?:
MLB.com's Prospect Watch: Top 10 first basemen | MLB.com: News

I guess MLB does love Boston....

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also surprised at Betts. Like to see if the power's for real, but even if it isn't, he still has good tools. Betts with power might be a better prospect than Wong IMO.

Always liked Shaw, but I can't believe he's ranked in the top 10 after the year he had in AA.

Can't wait to see how Swihart does this year. He showed a lot of improvement in A+ ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned, Swihart made the top ten C list:
MLB.com's list of Top 10 catching prospects | MLB.com: News

As expected, Mookie Betts is ranked among the best 2B prospects. I was a bit surprised they have him #3...
Kolten Wong headlines Prospect Watch's Top 10 second basemen | MLB.com: News

Garrin Cecchini is ranked the #6 best 3B prospect (about where he should be):
MLB.com's Prospect Watch: MLB.com's Top 10 third basemen | MLB.com: News

A bit of a surprise was the Red Sox Travis Shaw coming in at #8 for 1B. I did not see that coming - I guess the field is weak?:
MLB.com's Prospect Watch: Top 10 first basemen | MLB.com: News

I guess MLB does love Boston....

Interesting, his brother Gavin is one of the top 10 prospects for the Mets.