• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Updated Sox Top 30 Prospects from MLB

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the latest update of every team's Top 30 prospect list from MLB.com, so here is the one for the Sox. Only San Diego's Top 30 is rated higher, but sadly you'll note that 3 of our top 12 are presently out on season ending injuries. And I'm not sure why Dylan Cease is still listed as a prospect, when he's clearly on the major roster and should be for the remainder of the season.

The fastest riser (#27 in the preseason to now #8) is 22 year old RHP Jonathan Stiever. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Alex Hansen, who I believe was once in our top 10, now down to #28, is a bit disconcerting. Likewise for #24 local boy Zack Burdi, who was once considered as our potential closer, yet another prospect out with a multitude of injuries. And of course #18 Jake Burger, out for having a double Achilles tendon rupture. Lotta hurt players in our Top 30, that's for sure.

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the latest update of every team's Top 30 prospect list from MLB.com, so here is the one for the Sox. Only San Diego's Top 30 is rated higher, but sadly you'll note that 3 of our top 12 are presently out on season ending injuries. And I'm not sure why Dylan Cease is still listed as a prospect, when he's clearly on the major roster and should be for the remainder of the season.

The fastest riser (#27 in the preseason to now #8) is 22 year old RHP Jonathan Stiever. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Alex Hansen, who I believe was once in our top 10, now down to #28, is a bit disconcerting. Likewise for #24 local boy Zack Burdi, who was once considered as our potential closer, yet another prospect out with a multitude of injuries. And of course #18 Jake Burger, out for having a double Achilles tendon rupture. Lotta hurt players in our Top 30, that's for sure.

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

You will still be listed as a prospect until your rookie limits are exceeded.

For Cease, this means exceeding 50 IP or 45 days on a big league 25 man roster. (i.e. September call-ups don't count)

Cease has thrown 28 innings and has spent approximately one month on our big league roster. He still has "prospect" status.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will still be listed as a prospect until your rookie limits are exceeded.

For Cease, this means exceeding 50 IP or 45 days on a big league 25 man roster. (i.e. September call-ups don't count)

Cease has thrown 28 innings and has spent approximately one month on our big league roster. He still has "prospect" status.
Got it, thanks.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we gonna pay 46 million + to any of them before they ever step on an MLB field? Or was Jimenez a special circumstance?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we gonna pay 46 million + to any of them before they ever step on an MLB field? Or was Jimenez a special circumstance?
we paid a lot more than that in '16 for a guy who never stepped onto a major league field. :P

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we paid a lot more than that in '16 for a guy who never stepped onto a major league field. :P

Deep breath and sigh.

We've got a 22 year old kid in Jimenez that has 18 dongs in 75 games. The story should go: That's pretty dang good. Huge promise. Maybe worth the money and then some?

But all I can think is "Damn...He's only hitting .236 and has 84 strikeouts? He's literally Adam Dunn part 2."

I know Dunn had a long career...but he sucked and every team he was on sucked. Never saw a playoff game...which isn't surprise when he whiffed every other at bat. So I don't want any part of a player that can be compared to him.

This team has jaded me man.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got a 22 year old kid in Jimenez that has 18 dongs in 75 games. The story should go: That's pretty dang good. Huge promise. Maybe worth the money and then some?

But all I can think is "Damn...He's only hitting .236 and has 84 strikeouts? He's literally Adam Dunn part 2."

Jaded is an understatement if you're beginning to equate a 22 year old with such huge promise and his whole career ahead of him to some washed out slugger. By your thinking Moncada was to be destined for a .230/200+ SO career.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep breath and sigh.

I know Dunn had a long career...but he sucked and every team he was on sucked. Never saw a playoff game...which isn't surprise when he whiffed every other at bat. So I don't want any part of a player that can be compared to him.

jose bautista 16/51/.254 110 k's
dante bichette 15/59/.238 107 k's

i'm sure i could find many more. point is it's way too early to compare jimenez to anybody else.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaded is an understatement if you're beginning to equate a 22 year old with such huge promise and his whole career ahead of him to some washed out slugger. By your thinking Moncada was to be destined for a .230/200+ SO career.

Moncada has a long way to go to prove he's some kind of superstar in this league. It's nice his average is up, but he's a strikeout machine too...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jose bautista 16/51/.254 110 k's
dante bichette 15/59/.238 107 k's

i'm sure i could find many more. point is it's way too early to compare jimenez to anybody else.

Jose Bautista and Dante Bichette had way more hits than strikeouts...consistently...season over season. Our two best on field prospects, Jimenez...and since LSD went there...Moncada strike out more than they get hits.

That's pretty much not a good sign.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Bautista and Dante Bichette had way more hits than strikeouts...consistently...season over season. Our two best on field prospects, Jimenez...and since LSD went there...Moncada strike out more than they get hits.

That's pretty much not a good sign.
no. bautista had more k's than hits his first real year: 94 hits / 110 k's. same with bichette.

and when you talk about consistency, season after season .... i don't know what the hell you're talking about. i thought we were talking about jimenez's first season! who knows what his consistency will be like?

and hey, if you want to panic already about jimenez (or moncada) go right ahead.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moncada has a long way to go to prove he's some kind of superstar in this league. It's nice his average is up, but he's a strikeout machine too...
And he might always be a strikeout machine, at least to a point. But that's not all we should equate. Compare this year's Moncada to the previous season and half version. We need to look at all the offensive stats, not cherry pick the ones to fit a POV. And of course we need at least 6 or 7 full seasons to see exactly what kind of player Moncada will turn out to be the plusses as well as the minuses.

Now does this mean Jimenez has the same trajectory? Of course not, but it also doesn't mean we compare his rookie season with Adam Dunn's complete career.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. bautista had more k's than hits his first real year: 94 hits / 110 k's. same with bichette.

and when you talk about consistency, season after season .... i don't know what the hell you're talking about. i thought we were talking about jimenez's first season! who knows what his consistency will be like?

and hey, if you want to panic already about jimenez (or moncada) go right ahead.

I think that was implied earlier when I said the team has me jaded.

Jose Bautista is a fair rebuttal and would make sense from the "This guy all of a sudden became a different player" standpoint. I guess if Jimenez or Moncada goes there...Well sure. Of course, it took Bautista 7 years and multiple teams.

Bichette? Nah son. Not even close. Not buying what you're selling. Granted, I haven't heard that name in a long, long time...so that was refreshing.

The point is...There's a cloud of doubt on even the most brightest spots of this team...and for that I am sad.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he might always be a strikeout machine, at least to a point. But that's not all we should equate. Compare this year's Moncada to the previous season and half version. We need to look at all the offensive stats, not cherry pick the ones to fit a POV. And of course we need at least 6 or 7 full seasons to see exactly what kind of player Moncada will turn out to be the plusses as well as the minuses.

Now does this mean Jimenez has the same trajectory? Of course not, but it also doesn't mean we compare his rookie season with Adam Dunn's complete career.

This works back to the idea I was getting at in other posts. Moncada is literally our golden boy...and frankly, he's a 3.0 War guy that is maybe...MAYBE...top 30 in batters in the MLB ....but strikes out like it's going out of style. F*cking led the league in strikeouts last year and whiffs once for every hit he gets this year. Be nice if, you know, we had something that was concrete...NOTHING on this team is concrete. How sad is that?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry guys. LOL...I know the Adam Dunn wounds cut deep...No way either of our prospects could be that bad. That's just not fair. He sucked so bad.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was implied earlier when I said the team has me jaded.

Jose Bautista is a fair rebuttal and would make sense from the "This guy all of a sudden became a different player" standpoint. I guess if Jimenez or Moncada goes there...Well sure. Of course, it took Bautista 7 years and multiple teams.

Bichette? Nah son. Not even close. Not buying what you're selling. Granted, I haven't heard that name in a long, long time...so that was refreshing.

The point is...There's a cloud of doubt on even the most brightest spots of this team...and for that I am sad.
not sure what it is you're not buying. it was his first season with over 400 ab's and my information is right on.

i get that you're just venting but still, let's stay in bounds. :)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep breath and sigh.

This comparison is a joke and completely asinine. He's a power hitter who is a few hundred AB's into his career. No shit he's striking out. lol

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry guys. LOL...I know the Adam Dunn wounds cut deep...No way either of our prospects could be that bad. That's just not fair. He sucked so bad.

Adam Dunn hit 40 HR's and was an all-star here. He had one dreadful season and could be a pain in the ass... but there's far worse players to have worn the uniform this decade. A lot of them. The whole Adam Dunn thing in this thread is kind of just out of nowhere.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This works back to the idea I was getting at in other posts. Moncada is literally our golden boy...and frankly, he's a 3.0 War guy that is maybe...MAYBE...top 30 in batters in the MLB ....but strikes out like it's going out of style. F*cking led the league in strikeouts last year and whiffs once for every hit he gets this year. Be nice if, you know, we had something that was concrete...NOTHING on this team is concrete. How sad is that?

What the hell are you talking about? lol. Criticizing Moncada now? Last I saw around the ASB, there were only 12 players in baseball with a better WAR than him in the entire game.

Also, WAR is a stat that compounds as the year goes on. He should finish with a WAR towards 4 and his full season pace would be nearly 5. He's only played 97 games and will likely finish with 130+ if he's healthy after his IL stint.

BTW, you know you're off the rails when Iddy is correcting you for being overly negative.