• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB asks ... Who will have the Sox next retired number?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think numbers should be retired for a generation (defined as 20 years). When you bring a number out of retirement - you give that retired player an opportunity to get fixed in the public's mind again. I see it as a boost.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the hall is basically retiring a number. if you want to memorialize a team player who doesn't deserve the hall i think there'd be plenty ways to do that. the statues are one way and i'm sure there'd be other ways that don't interfere with active players.
why not have a white sox hall of fame on a billboard or something inside the stadium? that could then include faber, schalk, walsh and jackson! the numbers don't really mean shit.

Last edited:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY white sox hall of fame:

walsh, faber, schalk, lyons, appling, Jackson, fox, aparicio, donovan, f. robinson, pizarro, landis, lollar, pierce, rivera, wilhelm, horlen, hansen, peters, john, wood, orta, melton, lemon, hoyt, baines, ventura, l. johnson, karkovice, mcdowell, thigpen, a. fernandez, durham, fisk, thomas, c. may, guillen, konerko, buehrle, alvarez, r. hernandez, c. lee, ordonez, crede, foulke, garland, a.j., dye, a. ramirez, sale, thornton, abreu. mgr. al lopez.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A senor Al mention - awesome!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read recently - Eddie Collins who was on the Black sox - and had a terrible WS - was never considered in on the fix because the other players considered him too straight (or an asshole).
Collins was also a college man who didn't mix much with the rougher guys on the team like Swede and Chick. They probably didn't want him to get any of the money cuz they didn't like him along with Eddie being a threat to turn them in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins was also a college man who didn't mix much with the rougher guys on the team like Swede and Chick. They probably didn't want him to get any of the money cuz they didn't like him along with Eddie being a threat to turn them in.

They also knew the 8 guys who had met with (or took money) from the gamblers. Collins was not mentioned by anyone who testified, gave a tip or a statement.