• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Absorbs ***** League Stats (knee grow)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you,d hear endless bitching if Josh gibson,s estimated 800 hrs were entered into the record.
Without verified box scores, you’re damn right. And not just boxscores, but boxscores for actual league games.

Otherwise, why not count batting practice or spring training?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some game details were obtained from newspapers that covered the Black communities. Johnson said complete accounts were found for about 95% of games in the 1920s, but coverage dropped off during the Great Depression in the 1930s and never fully recovered.

The Negros leagues were destroyed by the financial elite on wall street and the politicians in DC. Get them!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And “white” barnstorming isn’t recognized for MLB stats. Why should “black” barnstorming?

Gibson has been recognized as one of the inner-circle greats for my whole life. How does introducing low-confidence statistics into the pool change that?
Barnstorming isn’t recognized but it was blacks playing whites. So it’s not like Gibson being a record holder is some abomination. Most of pre Jackie Robinson stats are low confidence stats though if you want to talk about purity of the game. You got gambling, moving fences in for certain teams, you got pitchers not trying to win, you got foreign substances on the balls, you got owners throwing games so they didn’t have to pay bonus’. You got Lou Gehrig and Joe DiMaggio as the only two high confidence records.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnstorming isn’t recognized but it was blacks playing whites. So it’s not like Gibson being a record holder is some abomination. Most of pre Jackie Robinson stats are low confidence stats though if you want to talk about purity of the game. You got gambling, moving fences in for certain teams, you got pitchers not trying to win, you got foreign substances on the balls, you got owners throwing games so they didn’t have to pay bonus’. You got Lou Gehrig and Joe DiMaggio as the only two high confidence records.
But the stats still record what happened in official games. If you want to include Gibson’s barnstorming games, than you have to include Joe Jackson’s barnstorming games as well. And why not include Spring Training? Those are games that were actually played as well, but we have a much higher confidence in their box score accuracy (at least over the last 30 years or so)

Again, I get and appreciate the intent. But I have a hard time accepting these numbers with the same confidence I accept AL/NL numbers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the stats still record what happened in official games. If you want to include Gibson’s barnstorming games, than you have to include Joe Jackson’s barnstorming games as well. And why not include Spring Training? Those are games that were actually played as well, but we have a much higher confidence in their box score accuracy (at least over the last 30 years or so)

Again, I get and appreciate the intent. But I have a hard time accepting these numbers with the same confidence I accept AL/NL numbers.
I get the hesitation and would generally agree but MLB virtue signaling on this one isn’t a big deal IMO

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie Mays is the best ever MLB player imo.he,d own the hr record if not for years lost in the military easy.
Willie missed one full season and most of another.

And had 24 career homers before that. (Didn’t get a bump in that cat for his NLeague days as a 17 year old. Since he didn’t hit any homers.)Idk if he would’ve been able to hit 55 in that chunk he missed to pass Babe or not. But Aaron would’ve passed him the year after he retired anyway.

I’d prolly take his Godson ahead of him fwiw. Both in rare company near the top.