• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Absorbs ***** League Stats (knee grow)

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My grandpa played against the Kansas City Monarchs.

On a field I played on, in Pony League, that had no fence.

This is fucking stupid.
Unless that was an official Negr0 League game those stats with the field with no fence won't be included.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sarcasm was what I was going for.

But I guess I can't blame them for trying.
It also makes some logical sense. There were 3 leagues with major league talent, the NL, the AL, and the Negr0 League. They didn't play against each other at all for a while, then the AL and NL did for one exhibition game every summer and a series at the end of the year. So the Negr0 League was just the 3rd league and those players were baseball players just like the other 2 leagues.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also makes some logical sense. There were 3 leagues with major league talent, the NL, the AL, and the Negr0 League. They didn't play against each other at all for a while, then the AL and NL did for one exhibition game every summer and a series at the end of the year. So the Negr0 League was just the 3rd league and those players were baseball players just like the other 2 leagues.
Idk if you all have played The Show or not, but the Negr0 League programs/games were very informative, fun and a nice homage.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn’t a “NegrOLeague”.

There were about a dozen of them. It wasn’t like a third league.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks, didn’t know that

There are good arguments for and against. Don’t really care much about it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was my understanding, but I don’t really know the history enough to SAY anything. But if there wasn’t some kind of structured schedule, counting stats become corrupted as well. Maris hit his 61, but that was super controversial because he had an extra 7 games in his schedule to achieve it. Now we need to rate Josh Gibson’s 1943 season where he only played in 69 games on the same level as Barry Bonds’ 2004 where he played in 147 games?

I understand the problems that the N-Leagues encountered. But from a pure baseball POV I have a hard time swallowing the argument that NegL = NL = AL. I totally get the desire to want to fully integrate those numbers. But this pesky thing called “reality” is getting in the way of my seeing it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my understanding, but I don’t really know the history enough to SAY anything. But if there wasn’t some kind of structured schedule, counting stats become corrupted as well. Maris hit his 61, but that was super controversial because he had an extra 7 games in his schedule to achieve it. Now we need to rate Josh Gibson’s 1943 season where he only played in 69 games on the same level as Barry Bonds’ 2004 where he played in 147 games?

I understand the problems that the N-Leagues encountered. But from a pure baseball POV I have a hard time swallowing the argument that NegL = NL = AL. I totally get the desire to want to fully integrate those numbers. But this pesky thing called “reality” is getting in the way of my seeing it.
I’m all for people learning and appreciating the history of the game.

But turning all the leagues into Major Leagues, in some attempt to right the wrongs of segregation, is foolish.

Oscar Charleston now has the second highest batting average in major league history. Having reached 150 hits once in his career. A career that spread across 5 different ***** MAJOR Leagues.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m all for people learning and appreciating the history of the game.

But turning all the leagues into Major Leagues, in some attempt to right the wrongs of segregation, is foolish.

Oscar Charleston now has the second highest batting average in major league history. Having reached 150 hits once in his career. A career that spread across 5 different ***** MAJOR Leagues.
Yeah, I’m totally with you and even myself learning the history behind all of this.

The N League players did have to overcome so much and deal with sheer hatred and adversity, but also with your example are overtaking stats held by players that may not have had to overcome as much but sure as shit worked their asses off their entire life to achieve those numbers.

It’s a tough situation to interpret and swallow honestly.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gretzky’s WHA stats aren’t included and his team was absorbed by the NHL.
Dr J’s ABS stats aren’t included and his team was absorbed by the NBA.

Acknowledge ***** League achievements but don’t merge them.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But does anyone really think that Josh Gibson was better than Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb?

We'll see a bit of performative trolling about how Gibson is the best hitter of all time but the most games he played in a season was 69. He doesn't even qualify for the minimum number of PAs.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does anyone really think that Josh Gibson was better than Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb?

We'll see a bit of performative trolling about how Gibson is the best hitter of all time but the most games he played in a season was 69. He doesn't even qualify for the minimum number of PAs.
Gibson definitely qualifies for the minimum number of PAs. The formula is 3.1 times the number of games your team played. He has way more than that. The thing I don't understand is how his team played 68 games and he played 69. Maybe they included postseason.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson definitely qualifies for the minimum number of PAs. The formula is 3.1 times the number of games your team played. He has way more than that. The thing I don't understand is how his team played 68 games and he played 69. Maybe they included postseason.

You are talking about for the season. I was talking about career.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start, but it's not enough! I just watched League of Their Own. Rosie O'Donnell had to have a higher slugging percentage than Gibson.

Who knows what Marla Hooch could’ve done if she hadn’t retired early……

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb don't care bout no negroes. They say it be he do, but it don't.

Anyway the ***** leagues were solid baseball with thriving black communities around them. Especially in Pittsburgh where the neighborhoods are more naturally separated.

Yeah that guy doesn't know what he was talking about.

The majors stopped playing shortly after Jackie, but some minor league teams kept going for another decade.

The teams in Pittsburgh were bad ass because they bought the best players from the Eastern leagues that folded during the depression.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is probably a better way to do this but I'm not super attached to player efficiency stats and I think this probably brings more interest to the game.