• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miscellaneous Stats

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think a thread designated to track stats at certain points in the season would be a nice punch, so we can more accurately measure how players - and the team as a whole - are playing at certain junctures, for shorter periods of the season, and how they progress as the season continues. That said, no better time than now to start, being at the quarter point of the season.

I plan on adding more regular statistics this weekend for individuals, QB rating, TDs, Int, sacks, receptions, yards, ypa, etc.

Feel free to help out.

Last request: let's try to keep this more stat based and less opinion. Nice clean thread to be referenced for stats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A stat thread is always a good things. Lets you see how players and the team as a whole progresses or regresses throughout the season.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A couple random stats for the 1st quarter:

• Cincinnati has started in its opponents' territory 10 times this season, which is tied for the most in the NFL. But the Bengals have only scored two touchdowns after receiving such favorable field position, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer."

• Teams can't run on the Bengals. Cincinnati allows an NFL-best 3.1 yards per carry.

• And teams can't extend drives against the Bengals. Cincinnati is third in the league in stopping offenses on third down (32.1 percent success rate against its defense).
Reference 1
Reference 2

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are tied with the most 3-and outs with the Ravens, as well....I believe that was in the enquirer.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Teams can't run on the Bengals. Cincinnati allows an NFL-best 3.1 yards per carry.[/LIST]

It'll be interesting to see how they do in that stat this week. MJD is arguably the best RB on the schedule, and with a rookie QB that has limited options at WR, I'm sure they're going to force the issue with the run

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's exactly the point of this thread. If 4 weeks from now, our 3.1 ypc jumps up to an seasonal average of 3.4 ypc, while it's still looks very good, it's an indication that the Bengals run defense isn't as good as advertised, and the low number is due to a soft schedule.

i.e. in order to get from 3.1 ypc to 3.4 ypc, the run defense would have had to give up around 3.7 ypc over the previous 4 games (Games 5-8). Not so good anymore, and that's the context that matters.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bengals are tied with the most 3-and outs with the Ravens, as well....I believe that was in the enquirer.

This stat is more relevant than the one I posted. The one I posted is somewhat misleading in that a team could have gone down the entire field on 1st and 2nd downs and never even seen a 3rd down. However, both the stats together do tell a story that the Bengals defense is getting off the field faster than any other defense.

NCGhosthunter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a thread designated to track stats at certain points in the season would be a nice punch, so we can more accurately measure how players - and the team as a whole - are playing at certain junctures, for shorter periods of the season, and how they progress as the season continues. That said, no better time than now to start, being at the quarter point of the season.

I plan on adding more regular statistics this weekend for individuals, QB rating, TDs, Int, sacks, receptions, yards, ypa, etc.

Feel free to help out.

Last request: let's try to keep this more stat based and less opinion. Nice clean thread to be referenced for stats.

what a great idea! I'll try to help out, if I can..... big rep for this

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly the point of this thread. If 4 weeks from now, our 3.1 ypc jumps up to an seasonal average of 3.4 ypc, while it's still looks very good, it's an indication that the Bengals run defense isn't as good as advertised, and the low number is due to a soft schedule.

i.e. in order to get from 3.1 ypc to 3.4 ypc, the run defense would have had to give up around 3.7 ypc over the previous 4 games (Games 5-8). Not so good anymore, and that's the context that matters.

I like this thread....One way to analyze stats is to compare them to the opponents' cumulative average....for example, the Bengals run defense is giving up 3.1 ypc vs opponents whose accumulative average is 3.9 ypc....on the surface that looks good since they are holding their opponents .8 ypc below their average.....but since the league median right now is 4.2 ypc that shows they have shut down lesser offenses rushing....the question becomes what happens when they play elite rushing teams? The Jags appear so, but they only average 4.1 ypc vs opponents giving up 4.3.....probably because teams are keying on shutting down MJD because the Jags passing game right now is not so scary......you can see where you can really get in depth with statistical analysis, and each number needs to be considered within the parameters of opponent quality and game strategy........

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's never even crossed my mind to compare our opponent's cumulative averages to the league average to help determine strength of sched...errr...running game. So simple, yet so genius! Rep up!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as many stats are concerned, we really probably won't know how "good" or "bad" some of these are until we get a league average at the end of the year. While an increase from 3.1 to 3.7 would be a bad "trend" if the league is averaging 4.1 YPC as a whole, then 3.7 would be very good, still. Not as good as 3.1, but then you wouldn't expect many defense to be able to hold offenses a full yard below the average.

We could start by going through 2010 and seeing how teams, and the league as a whole, finished last year and compare them. Usually stats like this don't fluctuate too much from year to year (I don't think).

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never even crossed my mind to compare our opponent's cumulative averages to the league average to help determine strength of sched...errr...running game. So simple, yet so genius! Rep up!

statfox.com

All kinds of free statistics there for all sports.....the opponents stats is an ingenius idea, that to the best of my knowledge was theirs.....they also have trends and systems on a paid basis for all sports, but their program is somewhat expensive and designed for professional sports handicappers......

Last edited by a moderator:

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dalton

76.9 QB Rating
868 yards
4 TD
4 INT
58.1% completion
7.0 yards per attempt

flamingrey