• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota locks up PJ Fleck for 7 years

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I still wouldn't trust Fleck. I could still see him jumping ship immediately IF a bigger named program came offering him a job.

2.) I get why Minnesota did this now, because of the FSU rumblings, but again I still think Fleck could leave and it's a little early for Minnesota to give him such a huge extension when the hardest part of his schedule is coming up. He could go 1-3 in November. And if somehow backs into the B1G champ game, could finish the year out 1-4, and who knows what happens in the bowl game. Minnesota is far from NOT having a 9-5 season.

His buyout this year essentially takes him off table

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His buyout this year essentially takes him off table

Agreed. He's poised now to make a real run on the recruiting trail and if he can turn in another top 40+ class, keep the momentum going, maybe even get enough going to keep him long term.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fleck is going anywhere for quite a long time... he was born & raised in Illinois and graduated from Northern Illinois... he is a Great Lakes region guy. After his NFL playing career with the 49ers ended in 2005, he immediately returned to the Great Lakes region. Look at his coaching positions history (copy/paste below)... with the exception of 2 seasons at Rutgers and 1 NFL season with Tampa Bay, he has stayed in the Great Lakes region. On many occasions he stated that he loves the area. Heck, I believe he still maintains his Summer lake house in Michigan.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

2006 Ohio State (GA)
2007–2008 Northern Illinois (WR)
2009 Northern Illinois (WR/RC)
2010–2011 Rutgers (WR)
2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (WR)
2013–2016 Western Michigan
2017–present Minnesota

With this new contract, Fleck has everything he needs. Last year Minnesota finished a major football facilities upgrade, and the Gophers are the only FBS program in the state of Minnesota (no in-state college football competition for eyeballs/attention). Fleck is in a very good place.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So about Minnesota, my initial thought was that they are being disrespected, and I actually would like to see them have some success (especially since nebraska has shit the bed since joining) Reviewing their schedule, they barely won all three of their OOC games against inferior teams.

Congrats on beating Nebraska.

but we will now see what they are made of with their remaining schedule. PSU, Iowa, and Wisky.............. all good tests.... What will be their record on those three games? 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-3? I think they go 1-2 in those games. sorry minny. they will lose to PSU. and win only 1 of the two games between iowa/wisky......... very tough and respectable remaining schedule....... This weekend's game I'll be watching.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So about Minnesota, my initial thought was that they are being disrespected, and I actually would like to see them have some success (especially since nebraska has shit the bed since joining) Reviewing their schedule, they barely won all three of their OOC games against inferior teams.

Congrats on beating Nebraska.

but we will now see what they are made of with their remaining schedule. PSU, Iowa, and Wisky.............. all good tests.... What will be their record on those three games? 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-3? I think they go 1-2 in those games. sorry minny. they will lose to PSU. and win only 1 of the two games between iowa/wisky......... very tough and respectable remaining schedule....... This weekend's game I'll be watching.

On surface it looks that way, but you have to dig a little deeper

SDSU-SDSU is one of top FCS schools, I'll admit even with that, they should've won easy. I was at that game and it was very annoying. On offense MN decided they were going to run inside zone every first down regardless if it work. SDSU just stacked the middle and we continually ran right into it. I'll admit, I left this game a little disenfranchised as I thought we were B1GW contenders.

Fresno-This game was in Fresno and was late game. Fresno is tough place to play. MN continually shot themselves in the foot with stupid plays, penalties, turnovers. I think 3 of Fresno's scoring drives were extended with 3rd down penalties. In the end, this close game doesn't really bother me

GSU-This is the head shaker. GSU had 14 yards of offense in 2nd half yet scored 12 points. GSU returned a blocked FG (which I think there should've been a penalty on the block, they used long snapper as leverage), returned a fumble for a TD, scored a TD after they stopped MN on 4th and short on their own 35 (they had an easy first, but our 4th string RB missed a wide open a hole to his left). GSU actually fumbled the ball out of the EZ, should've been gopher ball @ 25, but they ruled it a TD. Was an ugly game

To stretch, PSU is rightfully the favorite, but it wouldn't be upset of the century. They'll most likely beat NW and if they get 1 of games between Ia/Wi they're in pretty good shape. 10-2 isn't too shabby for MN.

I would agree MN isn't CFB threat, but control our own destiny for the B1GW

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On surface it looks that way, but you have to dig a little deeper

SDSU-SDSU is one of top FCS schools, I'll admit even with that, they should've won easy. I was at that game and it was very annoying. On offense MN decided they were going to run inside zone every first down regardless if it work. SDSU just stacked the middle and we continually ran right into it. I'll admit, I left this game a little disenfranchised as I thought we were B1GW contenders.

Fresno-This game was in Fresno and was late game. Fresno is tough place to play. MN continually shot themselves in the foot with stupid plays, penalties, turnovers. I think 3 of Fresno's scoring drives were extended with 3rd down penalties. In the end, this close game doesn't really bother me

GSU-This is the head shaker. GSU had 14 yards of offense in 2nd half yet scored 12 points. GSU returned a blocked FG (which I think there should've been a penalty on the block, they used long snapper as leverage), returned a fumble for a TD, scored a TD after they stopped MN on 4th and short on their own 35 (they had an easy first, but our 4th string RB missed a wide open a hole to his left). GSU actually fumbled the ball out of the EZ, should've been gopher ball @ 25, but they ruled it a TD. Was an ugly game

To stretch, PSU is rightfully the favorite, but it wouldn't be upset of the century. They'll most likely beat NW and if they get 1 of games between Ia/Wi they're in pretty good shape. 10-2 isn't too shabby for MN.

I would agree MN isn't CFB threat, but control our own destiny for the B1GW

yep. would be a great year.

maybe the start of ruling the west.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck’s current contract, a timeline and what do we want out of an extension?

They are just paying him 3.55mm a year with 50K increase each year. I would held out for more because schools are going to come calling and he could have gotten at least 4mm out of them.

I do admire that he got more money for his assistants instead of himself but I think you could have done both and there would never be a better time to strike.

Minnesota got a steal and honestly, they deserve it.

All of that AND Ilhan Omar?

They must be happier than hyenas spotting dead elephants.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting over $4 mil for assistants is big. They can't compete for the West division paying less than that. Ideally, it should be closer to $5, though, but I believe the bump puts them in line with Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe a tad below Nebraska.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-0 won Bernie Bierman National Championships!

With their phenom QB Bud Wilkinson. Back to Back to Back National Champions.

giphy.gif

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. would be a great year.

maybe the start of ruling the west.

I can hope, I just want to be consistently in the picture. I can even live with occasional down year if we can counter that with good ones.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting over $4 mil for assistants is big. They can't compete for the West division paying less than that. Ideally, it should be closer to $5, though, but I believe the bump puts them in line with Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe a tad below Nebraska.

West Virginia was trying to steal our OC, but he stayed home. There was some frustration with him early in the year when he was determined to run inside zone (RUTM) every god damn play. Rossi has been revelation at DC. Robb Smith was brutal DC at arkansas, so not sure why he was ever hired TBH

Nebraska...well...I like the addition of them in B1G. Lincoln has become my favorite B1G road trip, but it is nice to beat them

Reactions: gob

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a high profile CFB job opens up.

da43355c70ef3bbe354d26ccd0e09e0bd28f3afccb0ec699a8327d07308a590f.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the win vs Nebraska that sealed the deal.

It's a lot more than Nebraska....

His name isn't likely even mentioned for FSU if he hadn't won his last 4 like a Top 10 team should....

Illinois: W 40-17
Nebraska: W 34-7
@ Rutgers W 43-7
Maryland W 52-10

Margin of victory.... 23, 27, 36, 42

His first 4 wins were not against any stiffer competition. However, he didn't win them like a Top 10 team should.
First 4 games margin of victory 7, 3, 3, 7.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a lot more than Nebraska....

His name isn't likely even mentioned for FSU if he hadn't won his last 4 like a Top 10 team should....

Illinois: W 40-17
Nebraska: W 34-7
@ Rutgers W 43-7
Maryland W 52-10

Margin of victory.... 23, 27, 36, 42

His first 4 wins were not against any stiffer competition. However, he didn't win them like a Top 10 team should.
First 4 games margin of victory 7, 3, 3, 7.

Also finished last season:

Purdue 41-10
(24) Northwestern L 24-14
Wisconsin 37-15
Georgia Tech 34-10

I know it's last year. Nothing to take away the struggles against 4 you mentioned. But since changing their DC, they're 11-1.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goofers...

You betcha!

giphy.gif

Ookie doke!

Last edited: