• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minkah Fitzpatrick Now A Steeler

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is crystalballish for sure but right now today I think I would take Rudolph with 14 games under his belt into 2020 if Ben can’t go over Tua or Hebert.

He seemed to have taken a big step in decision making...he just needs to get the support around him...especially the running game and the DEF.
Like I said I fully admit, I was against drafting him. But I like what I’ve seen, and I think he’s for real. I hope he proves everyone’s optimism correct.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I fully admit, I was against drafting him. But I like what I’ve seen, and I think he’s for real. I hope he proves everyone’s optimism correct.

You weren't the only one...some thought he wasn't the QB to take, others thought QB wasn't the position to take. I remember liking Mark Andrews at TE in that round myself, but had no strong feeling either way on the pick.

Colbert and co felt he had a 1st rd grade...now we get to find out.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You weren't the only one...some thought he wasn't the QB to take, others thought QB wasn't the position to take. I remember liking Mark Andrews at TE in that round myself, but had no strong feeling either way on the pick.

I remember another Andrews almost got in the way of Steeler History.

Rooney had to step in and dictate that the Steelers were taking Ben, because Cowher was intent on drafting the Guard, Shawn Andrews.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really always felt like the 1st round ground was bull. If he was a 1st round grade? and a qb? why didnt they take him in round 2? did the have a HIGHER first on james washington? and they somehow got lucky and got 3 first round draft grades?

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really always felt like the 1st round ground was bull. If he was a 1st round grade? and a qb? why didnt they take him in round 2? did the have a HIGHER first on james washington? and they somehow got lucky and got 3 first round draft grades?
James was more of a need for the Steelers, and despite what they say, they ALWAYS draft need early.

And they do bullshit a lot. They tried to say they had a 1st round grade on Trai Essex, too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...it's hard to believe the 1st rd grade I know, especially from a league wide standpoint, but different teams will often put different grades on QBs. BAL traded back into the 1st round to take Jackson...they did it because they didn't think he would last until their 2nd round pick. Maybe it was because Jackson was gone, but as it was no one took a QB in the 2nd round and Rudolph was the next QB off the board.

DEN and MIN both went the FA route so they had the QB position locked up...the team that should've been looking at a QB fairly early that year was JAX.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...it's hard to believe the 1st rd grade I know, especially from a league wide standpoint, but different teams will often put different grades on QBs. BAL traded back into the 1st round to take Jackson...they did it because they didn't think he would last until their 2nd round pick. Maybe it was because Jackson was gone, but as it was no one took a QB in the 2nd round and Rudolph was the next QB off the board.

DEN and MIN both went the FA route so they had the QB position locked up...the team that should've been looking at a QB fairly early that year was JAX.
no i agree, but if a qb with a first round ground is staring at you round 2, you would take him? not draft a wr and HOPE no one else takes him?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i agree, but if a qb with a first round ground is staring at you round 2, you would take him? not draft a wr and HOPE no one else takes him?

There is no good explanation for that....the long and short of it, I think they went to OSU to see Washington and they liked what they saw in Rudolph even though they may not have been thinking QB that early after taking Dobbs the previous yr. and Landry Jones still being on the roster.

I really think PIT wanted Jesse Bates, but got Washington when he was gone, and Justin Reed the following round and took Rudolph when he was gone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, our secondary has been our achilles heal for years.....Worth the gamble......

Spot on...I think most of us recognize there is some risk with this trade, but I'm not that concerned about where the draft pick is going to land and protecting it if it's top 10, top 5, etc....being able to land a legit FS (clearly the weakest position on the team imo) it was worth the gamble.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enthusiasm rampant at Fitzpatrick's first practice with Steelers

PITTSBURGH -- Soon after the Steelers announced that Ben Roethlisberger was lost for the season with an elbow injury, news broke that the team traded next year's first-round pick - something they hadn't done since 1966 - for safety Minkah Fitzpatrick.

It shocked media, for certain, and no doubt shocked fans. It shocked the players, too.

"Al (Villanueva) texted me and said, 'Bro, it's happening,'" said Ramon Foster. "I'm like what's happening? He told me, and then I said, 'Wow! Are you kidding me?'"

Mike Tomlin denied that he was sending a message to the team, but even accidentally the message was clear:

Even though the Steelers received a crippling blow by losing their franchise quarterback, the team is not giving up.

"That move said a lot," Foster said. "I think they know that we do have a legit shot of being a really good team still. Also, you look at it historically and we never have done this, so that says a lot about what we're trying to do."

Soon thereafter, Foster received two more texts from friends who've played with Fitzpatrick with either the Miami Dolphins or the University of Alabama. Foster paraphrased those texts this way:

"It was like, 'This dude is awesome. You're going to love him. He's great for you guys,'" Foster said. "We also have the same agent, and so he knows, and he's been like 'This kid loves football. This kid wants to be around a locker room like yours.' And just watching him today at practice, you could see it. It's like he's rejuvenated too, so it'll be cool."

The rejuvenated Steelers took the practice field for the first time Wednesday with Fitzpatrick at free safety and Mason Rudolph at quarterback. It was an upbeat practice driven by an upbeat coach and they all were driven by another message:

"One win first," Foster said. "Stack one. Complete our plays. Make our plays. Be who we said we were going to be. That's what Coach has been emphasizing to us, like, 'You guys complain about the run game, well stay on the damn field on third down.' That's how he's been approaching us, like he's telling us 'Hey, we're laying it out for you guys. We're giving you the answers to the test. Mark the right answer. If you're supposed to make a play, make that damn play and then we can roll.'

"So right now we're bouncing back and forth and trying to establish a lot of things instead of using a fine-tooth comb on one thing right now. That's how Coach's approach is to us right now."

That's exactly how it's been for Fitzpatrick these past 48 hours. He wanted out of Miami, was traded to the Steelers for a first-round pick and some swaps of late-round picks the next couple of years, and he reported to the practice facility on Tuesday. He then went through "four, five hours just going over film with coaches breaking stuff down," said Fitzpatrick.

Known as a tireless worker who loves the film room, the 6-0, 204-pound safety from Alabama was a favorite of Nick Saban's. The Alabama coach once called Fitzpatrick the best leader he's ever coached.

When asked why Saban was so enamored with him, the soft-spoken Fitzpatrick seemed embarrassed.

"I just did my job," he said. "I stayed out of trouble off the field. I made sure I was doing everything I could to maximize myself as a player, and I think he appreciated that."

Fitzpatrick was the primary defensive playmaker and coverage safety for two national championship teams and became the 11th pick of the 2018 draft. The Dolphins moved him around as a rookie, but this year wanted him to play strong safety. Fitzpatrick balked at the idea because he's too slight to play in the box - a la Mark Barron, a former Alabama strong safety who's now a 230-pound inside linebacker with the Steelers.

The Steelers' current strong safety, Terrell Edmunds, weighs 217 pounds.

And when the Dolphins made it clear that they're more interested in landing a franchise quarterback next April than chasing a Lombardi next February, Fitzpatrick asked to be traded.

"I'm not going to talk too much about Miami," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm here in Pittsburgh, so I'm excited about being here and that's my focus."

And so he focused all day Tuesday and Wednesday on understanding his new system. The 22-year-old was asked how long it will take him to grasp it.

"It won't take too long," he said. "I've just got to learn ways to simplify the game so I can just go out there and play fast. A lot of it is just word association. Some of the words mean the same thing as they did in Miami and Alabama, but some don't. Green might mean something else here but red means the same thing. It's just getting it all together."

"He was getting comfortable with us out there," Edmunds said after Wednesday's practice. "The first day he really didn't have many mistakes, if any. He was just out there playing ball."

Barron owns his own pair of championship rings from Alabama, so he may not have appreciated any message - accidental or otherwise - that the trade for Fitzpatrick represents.

"Who said we can't win it?" Barron asked. "My mind doesn't go to that. I mean, regardless of whatever the circumstance is I'm not a give-up type of guy. I'm going to fight to the end. I'm trying to win every time we step on the field, and I feel like that's the energy in this room, too. As you can see, we're still trying to get things in here to help boost the team. I don't sense a give-up mentality around here."

Not from the front office, which made this bold move. It sent a palpable wave of enthusiasm throughout the team.

"We are enthusiastic, in a sense," said Foster. "And absolutely no slight to Seven (Roethlisberger). No, sir. It's just that it's new ground for everybody, and everybody's like 'Let's see. Let's go.'

"There's the sense of uncertainty that gets you a little amped up, gets you jittery a little bit, and there's just the sense of 'get one.' Get one when they say we can't win on the West Coast. Get one on a team that's 2-0. Get one because you lost your star quarterback.

"Just don't take that as a slight to Seven. Never, never, never. That guy's buttered a lot of people's bread around here. So, never that. But, yeah, you have to be enthusiastic about all the stuff going on here. We just got a former first-rounder. We've got a young quarterback who's enthusiastic. It's like 'Hey, the answers are there. You guys just need to pencil in the right one.'"​

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing great things about how we’ll Minkah was able to communicate with the secondary during the SF game after just 1 week of practice. Something Sean Davis took 4 seasons to never figure out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing great things about how we’ll Minkah was able to communicate with the secondary during the SF game after just 1 week of practice. Something Sean Davis took 4 seasons to never figure out.

The most damning thing I've heard about both Davis, and Dupree...not very bright.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most damning thing I've heard about both Davis, and Dupree...not very bright.
Yep, heard the same thing. Another case of talent vs brains. Doesn’t matter how freakishly gifted you are, it doesn’t make you a good player in the nfl.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, heard the same thing. Another case of talent vs brains. Doesn’t matter how freakishly gifted you are, it doesn’t make you a good player in the nfl.

Bud simply doesn't know how or when you use the moves that he's been taught in a real game. Once he's engaged with the OT, 90% of the time he's going to try to bull rush them and 10% of those rushes he might get that 1st step on them and cause some problems, but that's pretty much it, the other 80% he's locked up playing pattycakes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

94f.png

I don't think those stats incorporate week 9 yet because I remember a TD over his head. But still... World of difference

@Superbelt @SteelersPride @ATL96Steeler @thedddd @Ojb81

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this will be posted elsewhere but this statement sums it all up: