• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minkah Fitzpatrick Now A Steeler

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love it.

Steelers suck at drafting DBs
Steelers need DBs.
Minkah is an excellent slot CB, FS
Minkah comes cheap as hell for 3 years. Important with how much money is on Pitts books.
Steelers arent giving up on the season, and just signaled huge confidence in Mason.

Even if they had a top 10npock, they might be drafting hoping to get a Minkah anyway.

Minkah is a leader. Need that.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate it, we werent gonna win this year with ben. The team looks lost. This isnt gonna fix that.

Next years draft class is killer at QB. If rudolph flops, we just lost our chip to get one. That 1st rounder also appears to be top 18 at WORST.

I just dont see how this move is gonna get us into contention.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 3 picks?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Superbelt said, this is a huge vote of confidence in Mason. I get the feeling that the 2021 is definitely the "end of the regime". With all the uncertainty surrounding the future after that point, it seems as though the team is still ALL IN on these final couple years.

The tradeoff could be huge if they still contend for the postseason. But as Steelerspride said, this will really hurt if they flop the season and miss the playoffs.

I'm intent to ride this out for face value though. They got a helluva player in Minkah. I do, however, have plenty of doubt about whether he can thrive in this system. I have wondered for years whether or not you could insert a pro bowl caliber player and they would look terrible in these schemes. Haden had a rough start in 2017 but seems to be much improved over the last season & this year. Praying that Minkah has quicker returns and balls out, but I'm still apprehensive about it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 3 picks?
Yep. Upgraded their 5th Rd pick for a 4th, but downgraded their 6th to a 7th, and of course what hurts the most is parting with the 1st. If they don't make the postseason then its going to hurt.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A move like this you have to think that at least they believe they are still in contention. That's a HUGE vote of confidence in Mason. Lets hope he's as good as they think he is.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Mason doesn't pan out as the Heir Apparent, Ben seems to think he's coming back, and maybe the FO does too.

I'm doubting that happens. But they don't seem to be in desperate 'gotta draft a QB' mode.

Again, Minkah is proven. Minkah is at a need position. Pitt has tried drafting DB's and came away with shit. At least here we know we got a good one.

Mason was thought as talented as any of the QB's in that draft class, just raw.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers deal first-round pick in trade for Dolphins safety Minkah Fitzpatrick

The Steelers made a surprising trade Monday night to acquire Miami Dolphins safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, giving up a No. 1 draft choice in 2020 and two other picks in a move that goes against one of the team’s long-standing principles, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has been told.

In addition to their top pick next year, the Steelers gave up a fifth-round draft choice in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2021. In return, they get a fourth-round choice in 2020 and a seventh-round pick in 2021, in addition to Fitzpatrick.

Historically, the Steelers have not believed in trading away future No. 1 picks, but they made an exception with Fitzpatrick, who recently requested a trade from the Dolphins.

A team source told the Post-Gazette, “He’s a guy we needed pretty badly.”

The Steelers made the trade to bolster their free-safety position, but it also comes at a time when Sean Davis sustained a torn labrum in his right shoulder against the Seattle Seahawks. The injury is not believed to be season-ending.

The trade for Fitzpatrick, 22, will push Davis out of the starting lineup, but it also allows the Steelers to have a solid backup with Davis who can play in their sub packages — something they didn’t think they had with Kameron Kelly, who started the season opener in New England. It also means Davis, who is a free agent at the end of the season, will not be re-signed by the Steelers.

The move comes on the same day the Steelers announced that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will miss the rest of the season because of elbow surgery — an injury that defensive end Cam Heyward said will put more onus on the defense, which allowed 61 points total in the first two games, to help carry the team.

Fitzpatrick (6 foot 1, 207 pounds), who will count $3,738,129 against the salary cap this season, was the 11th overall pick of the Dolphins in 2018 who started as a true freshman and played three seasons at Alabama. He ran a 4.46 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and was renowned for his versatility with the Crimson Tide. Steelers defensive line coach Karl Dunbar was an assistant coach at Alabama when Fitzpatrick played there.

As much as Fitzpatrick’s do-it-all abilities are a plus, they also seem to have been at the root of his discontent in Miami. Local media there has reported that Fitzpatrick was asked to learn as many as a half-dozen positions for the Dolphins and expressed a strong desire to play only one, possibly slot cornerback.

The Steelers have Mike Hilton and Cameron Sutton there, but next to nothing at free safety behind Davis. For Fitzpatrick, perhaps the positional complaints were just a way to force his way out of arguably the most hopeless franchise in the NFL this season.​

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Upgraded their 5th Rd pick for a 4th, but downgraded their 6th to a 7th, and of course what hurts the most is parting with the 1st. If they don't make the postseason then its going to hurt.

I agree that w your QB position in question next year you probably needed that first.

I don’t know much about Fitzpatrick other than he played at Bama and was a 1st himself. Hope it works out for you guys tho.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that w your QB position in question next year you probably needed that first.

I don’t know much about Fitzpatrick other than he played at Bama and was a 1st himself. Hope it works out for you guys tho.
Really hard to say how things will shake out. But there is a ton of confidence in Rudolph, in & around the building. He was touted as a top 4-5 QB in his draft class months before the Heisman trophy was handed out when Lamar & Baker vaulted up the boards. Mason has some hype, but A LOT to prove this year before I'm ready to call him a franchise QB. He has shown great instincts & awareness for someone with very little NFL experience. And the skill position nucleus is incredibly young so its great timing for a younger QB to grow with them.

But most definitely, if they flop the season and that 1st Rd pick turns out to be a top 10 pick, then this trade will really hurt. Mason better be the real deal.

This sorta feels like a last-ditch effort for Tomlin to retain his job. If this shit goes sideways then he appears intent to ride off into the sunset.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate it, we werent gonna win this year with ben. The team looks lost. This isnt gonna fix that.

Next years draft class is killer at QB. If rudolph flops, we just lost our chip to get one. That 1st rounder also appears to be top 18 at WORST.

I just dont see how this move is gonna get us into contention.

That's an anti-Rudolph position, but a fair skeptic I should say.

Let's say PIT is top 10...who are you taking?....ruling out Tua because MIA is going to have the #1 overall pick.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 of 98 teams starting 0-2 since 2007 have made the playoffs. Two did it last year but geeze

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an anti-Rudolph position, but a fair skeptic I should say.

Let's say PIT is top 10...who are you taking?....ruling out Tua because MIA is going to have the #1 overall pick.
No, it’s not anti Rudolph at all. It’s insurance. What have you seen to guarantee u he is the guy?

Just Hebert would of been #1 this year if he came out. Fromm is there, joe burrow the kid from Utah state , kJ Costello and the list is growing

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of college numbers. Well all know how well those always translate to the NFL
Yea I know, but this kid looks like the real deal to me. And I thought that before seeing all those college accolades. He's a proven commodity.