• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Woodson says Phil Jackson would only help knicks

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embattled coach Mike Woodson says Phil Jackson will "enhance" the New York Knicks once Jackson is hired to help run the team's front office.

"I have a great deal of respect for Phil and what he's done over his coaching and his playing days in our league. He's been extremely successful," Woodson said Thursday in an interview on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show."

"And if the Knicks are entertaining that, the guy's got a great basketball mind for the game. So I mean, it's all good."

A league source has told ESPN that Jackson and the Knicks are expected to finalize a deal that will give the legendary former coach control of the club's front office by the end of this week. An official announcement might not come until next week, the source said.

Woodson did not want to discuss Jackson's potential role with the Knicks in detail. He declined to address how much the organization has kept him informed of the proceedings, but he was highly complimentary of Jackson, who won 11 NBA titles as a coach and two as a Knicks player.

"At the end of the day we know it's out there, and like I said I've got a great deal of respect for Phil, and if the Knicks decide to go that route I think he can't do nothing but enhance the organization," Woodson said. "But my focus right now is strictly on coaching and trying to figure out our team and try to get us into this playoffs."

Source: ESPN New York