• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Tomlin

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
824603595.gif

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree on reprimanding the refs as they are not accustomed to having to look for HC physically breaking rules like Tomlin did.

I don't think it matters what they (the refs) are accustomed to per say, Tomlin was in the field of play, the officials had multiple opportunities to review the play, and it's clear in my mind that Tomlin interfered with the play, Flag and I feel Jones should have been awarded the touchdown. The officials not flagging Tomlin or awarded the Touchdown yet again just highlights the poor and inconsistency of NFL officiating this season. The tragic part is, at the current direction the league is allowing these clown officials to operate, some crew is going to cost some team in the playoffs and Super Bowl.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And watching the replay even the side judge had to run on the outside of Tomlin creating even greater space between the ref and the field of play..Easy call, ref should have been downgraded and fined immediately

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 game suspension Do the right thing NFL.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jones clearly moved to avoid Tomlin. Tough to say if he would have broken it but for Tomlin being there, but there's no doubt Tomlin's presence and the way he moved - onto the field before moving off it - affected the play. One game suspension at a minimum. That's about as poor behavior as I can recall from a coach, in a game that came down to a missed two-point conversion. Tomlin's action could very well have prevented a TD in a drive that ultimately resulted in a FG.

If I were running the league, I would almost consider docking a draft pick. The action on Tomlin's part is simply outrageous for an NFL head coach.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bush league. He should be fined HEAVILY by the league as far as I'm concerned. More so because he avoided a penalty in the game.

Agreed… That looked totally on purpose… He even smirked like he got away with one … which he did… It was justice that the Raven won that one..

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,104.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he loss perspective of where he was on the sideline I think it was a total mistake

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he loss perspective of where he was on the sideline I think it was a total mistake

BS, man. He was looking over his shoulder, and stepped into the field before jumping out of the way. And then he had that smirk afterward. Not to mention the fact that he had his back turned on a HUGE play in a defensive contest is similarly suspicious. And his expression revealed no surprise whatsoever as he jumped out of the way. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he knew what he was doing.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, man. He was looking over his shoulder, and stepped into the field before jumping out of the way. And then he had that smirk afterward. Not to mention the fact that he had his back turned on a HUGE play in a defensive contest is similarly suspicious. And his expression revealed no surprise whatsoever as he jumped out of the way. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he knew what he was doing.
This ^ . He is not stupid. He knew what he was attempting to do. Anyone who doesn't see this as a fact must not have watched the game. IMO he won't be the HC there next year anyway but he does deserve a game off just for the laughing afterword....a jerk for sure.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thought this was kind of funny. Had a similar thought:

It was nine months ago at the Super Bowl that Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco took flak for suggesting to teammates that they should run out on the field to tackle Ted Ginn Jr. on the final play.

"That's exactly what he just did," Flacco said. "He was looking at the big screen the whole entire time, he knew where he was, he knew where Jacoby was. He pulled my move."

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It was a punk move alright, but I could care less after the Ravens themselves got away with some calls in the SB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow! Pretty harsh...draft pick too?!!

NFL fines Tomlin $100k for sideline incident

The NFL has fined Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 for the sideline incident during the Thanksgiving game against the Ravens.

The league will also consider stripping the Steelers of a draft pick once the order is set and compensatory picks are handed out. In the third quarter last Thursday, Jacoby Jones broke a kickoff return down the sideline near the Steelers bench. He was shockingly slowed down by Tomlin, who was standing too close to the field with his back to the play. He says it was an unintentional mistake. Either way, Tomlin is lucky to have avoided a suspension.

Dec 4 - 11:07 AM

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Pretty harsh...draft pick too?!!

NFL fines Tomlin $100k for sideline incident

The NFL has fined Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 for the sideline incident during the Thanksgiving game against the Ravens.

The league will also consider stripping the Steelers of a draft pick once the order is set and compensatory picks are handed out. In the third quarter last Thursday, Jacoby Jones broke a kickoff return down the sideline near the Steelers bench. He was shockingly slowed down by Tomlin, who was standing too close to the field with his back to the play. He says it was an unintentional mistake. Either way, Tomlin is lucky to have avoided a suspension.

Dec 4 - 11:07 AM

Good he deserves it. Don't know if it's fair to take a pick away for something Tomlin did on his own. But he def deserves the fine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good he deserves it. Don't know if it's fair to take a pick away for something Tomlin did on his own. But he def deserves the fine.

Yeah, I'm good with the fine. But a taking a draft pick as well is a little crazy. One would think that that would be the sort of punishment that should be imposed against the Seahawks - for having so many of their players continuously violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the fine is very fair, and frankly, I'd be ok with them losing a later-round draft pick. The fine, though high, is not all that significant for a guy making almost $6 million a year. It's the functional equivalent of someone making $50K a year being fined $900. Will he feel it? Sure. Is it enough to change behavior? Probably not.

That play could have been absolutely huge in that game. Obviously we don't know what would have happened but for the interference, but clearly Jones reacted to it, and was then tackled. I don't know many coaches who wouldn't take a $100K hit in a tight defensive game like that to prevent a likely TD. Just imagine if Jones hadn't had the TD return against the Niners in the Super Bowl. That's the only TD the Ravens had in the second half, and their subsequent three drives netted 19 combined yards. That play changed the game entirely. As, potentially, did Tomlin's action in preventing a TD.

There is so much money sunk into football, and that game had significant playoff implications. You've got to hit teams where it hurts, and the best way to do that by far is to take draft picks. I don't have any problem with that when it's a HC who violates the rule. And frankly, I don't think a 15-yard penalty is sufficient even if it had been called. I think the rule should be that if an offensive player is interfered with after he has gotten past all the defensive players, it's a TD. Call it like offsides in soccer. Easy to enforce, and a sure way to prevent any thought of that sort of interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And I think it should be an immediate ejection for the player/coach in question.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Love this from Ryan Clark:

"He accepted responsibility for it. He understands the wrong that he did and you like a man that accepts things and is accountable for his actions," he said.

To review: Tomlin smiled and laughed about his actions immediately after committing them. At the press conference at the end of the game he basically said, "It's no big deal. All the coaches stand in that area." Days later, he came out and said he was sorry...but it was an accident. He later repeated that version when assessed with the penalty.

That is not taking responsibility. That is acknowledging the least amount of wrongdoing possible when confronted with insurmountable evidence of one's bad behavior. Not only did he brush off responsibility initially, but I am entirely convinced that was a deliberate move by Tomlin. There is simply no other reasonable explanation for his actions immediately preceding, during, and immediately following the incident. Lost a lot of respect for Tomlin over the course of this one.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the fine is very fair, and frankly, I'd be ok with them losing a later-round draft pick. The fine, though high, is not all that significant for a guy making almost $6 million a year. It's the functional equivalent of someone making $50K a year being fined $900. Will he feel it? Sure. Is it enough to change behavior? Probably not.

That play could have been absolutely huge in that game. Obviously we don't know what would have happened but for the interference, but clearly Jones reacted to it, and was then tackled. I don't know many coaches who wouldn't take a $100K hit in a tight defensive game like that to prevent a likely TD. Just imagine if Jones hadn't had the TD return against the Niners in the Super Bowl. That's the only TD the Ravens had in the second half, and their subsequent three drives netted 19 combined yards. That play changed the game entirely. As, potentially, did Tomlin's action in preventing a TD.

There is so much money sunk into football, and that game had significant playoff implications. You've got to hit teams where it hurts, and the best way to do that by far is to take draft picks. I don't have any problem with that when it's a HC who violates the rule. And frankly, I don't think a 15-yard penalty is sufficient even if it had been called. I think the rule should be that if an offensive player is interfered with after he has gotten past all the defensive players, it's a TD. Call it like offsides in soccer. Easy to enforce, and a sure way to prevent any thought of that sort of interference.

I remember hearing the announcers for that particular game saying that had it gone to the replay booth, they would have awarded the TD to the Ravens. I'm not sure if coach Harbaugh would have needed to throw a flag for that to happen, but there is a rule in place that could have granted Jones the TD (if he had gotten tackled by someone outside the playing field).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Tomlin - DT - Steelers

The Steelers are unlikely to lose any draft picks as a result of the Mike Tomlin sideline incident.

The NFL has determined that Jacoby Jones might have scored a touchdown if Tomlin didn't get in his way. But they wound up kicking a field goal and winning the game anyway, so the only effect the incident had on the bottom line was a four-point swing. An NFL source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that draft picks will only be stripped if those four points cost the Ravens any playoff seeding tiebreakers. That's highly unlikely to happen, meaning Tomlin and the Steelers have escaped with only the $100K fine.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dec 5 - 9:43 AM