• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Richards Is On Waivers And I'm Blown Away

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wayne Simmonds has been great but Brayden Schenn is turning into a legitimate disappointment - all things considered, Mike Richards is putting up the same production or similar to Brayden Schenn plus he has the two cups, so I think the case can be made that the Kings DID win that trade

But I don't think the championships thing should be the only argument, but it is PART of it

I mean the kings definitely benefitted from it because they did win the cups. But you look at it now and the Flyers have an on-par to Mike Richards with BSchenn, and then the best of the 3 in Simmonds. I suppose you could say it was a win-win, but I definitely like where the Flyers ended up. Keeping Richards doesn't win the Flyers a cup, the Kings were/are just a much better team than the Flyers. (hence not liking the 'winning cups' as an individual stat)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hate the championships argument. He didn't bring them to LA. The team did. He may have helped, but championships should not be an individual statistics. JMO.

:agree::agree::agree:

I would think an argument that Quick had something to do with it may be valid.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards was absolutely huge for the Kings in the 2012 run, not as big but still made some big plays in the 2014 run. Neither win happens without him, trust me.

In Game 1 vs Vancouver in 2012, he destroyed Burrows as they were making a push in the final seconds. His hit sent the message to the Canucks that this is not the team they swept a year earlier and it also sent the message to the team that "this is how you win". It was a defining moment in Kings history.

Quick was lights out in 2012, not so much in 2014 - both runs were very different. 2012 was low scoring, stifling defense and spectacular goaltending and 2014 was more run and gun and scoring when goals were needed. Richards actually extended the WCF as much as it could go by scoring the tying goal in the final 10 seconds to send it to OT in Game 5 in 2013, he missed most of that series with a concussion.

I agree it's not all about one player, but he was the missing piece the Kings needed. Kopitar is a top 3 center in the league and then there was Jarret Stoll, who was playing the 2C slot but is really a 3C player. Richards put the right guys in the right places and the rest is history, especially after Carter was acquired.

Simmonds was very popular here in LA, my wife's favorite player still, but he was not the missing piece. I miss that guy and wish him well, but he wasn't going to do what he has done in Philadelphia with LA because the two teams play entirely different styles of hockey. He would be lucky to crack 20 goals here.

Regardless of what has happened with Richards, I'd make that trade 100 times over knowing he was integral to two Cup wins in three years.

Last edited by a moderator:

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am coming to this thread late, but....my $.02 on Mike Richards.

He was never a real and never should have been seen as a real 1/2 NHL center. His most successful times in Philadelphia there was a real top center, or at least someone centering a "top" line. There was the Carter line and then Richards. He and Carter made for a good 1a and 1b to follow whoever centered the other line (usually Briere). As a team they worked best this way.

Richards play was highly emotional, which is why he was so easy to either like or not like. He played a very high impact style that will take a high physical toll. Many thought he would break down physically before the end of that contract when it was signed because of his style of play.

After the "Dry Island" and other soap operas that everyone likes to hint about and give half sentence explanations but no one has ever come out and said anything concrete, and trade, Richards had a really good system fitting in to LA's system. He then suffered two concussions. Both pretty major. He has never been the same player since. He is clearly a full step slower as well as all of his reflex play.

At this time Richards, who could have been a valuable player on the right team in the right role, is broken down physically and I would bet confidence wise as well. Going to the AHL could/should help him get at least some of his confidence back as a player. I don't know that he will ever recover to be the same physical player he was. And at $5+ mil against the cap. Not worth it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards didn't get the big contract for only his point total. He got all that money because of leadership, excellent defensive forward, heart of a lion and playoff production as well as his offensive out put.

That being said I am really glad he's taking up almost 5 million for the Kings and not us.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Richards didn't get the big contract for only his point total. He got all that money because of leadership, excellent defensive forward, heart of a lion and playoff production as well as his offensive out put.

That being said I am really glad he's taking up almost 5 million for the Kings and not us.

i mean, all that considered...why would you give a guy 12 years regardless. completely ridiculous. holmgren was luckily able to get out of that and the carter contract but its just another example of that front office not having a clue.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, all that considered...why would you give a guy 12 years regardless. completely ridiculous. holmgren was luckily able to get out of that and the carter contract but its just another example of that front office not having a clue.

12 years is way to much for any player in any sport. Homer tried to circumvent the cap hit with the 12 years but as we can see it is a dumb strategy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if a bringing in Richards to play with a returning Kimo would be of any use to the club especially defensively?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if a bringing in Richards to play with a returning Kimo would be of any use to the club especially defensively?

I wouldn't touch Richards' contract with a 15 foot pole. IMO he'd immediately jump to 1st or 2nd worst contract on the team, with AMac's being the only one in the running. 5.75 through.. 2021 I think.. thanks but no thanks.

if someone buys his contract out, I'd look at him as a free agent maybe.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea awaz. I sort of figured his contract would be prohibitive in light of his advancing age. But I thought I'd throw that thought out on the board as fodder for some musings. Your musings were quick and decisive. lol.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea awaz. I sort of figured his contract would be prohibitive in light of his advancing age. But I thought I'd throw that thought out on the board as fodder for some musings. Your musings were quick and decisive. lol.

Like the goalie change last night!

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't touch Richards' contract with a 15 foot pole. IMO he'd immediately jump to 1st or 2nd worst contract on the team, with AMac's being the only one in the running. 5.75 through.. 2021 I think.. thanks but no thanks.

if someone buys his contract out, I'd look at him as a free agent maybe.

yea a 4th line center for 3 mil is about what i would love to bring him back for ha