• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Pettine named new Browns HC

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, please don't get me wrong when I'm saying they can be good with a decent QB. I'm not saying they are going to be the Broncos or something overnight, but I'm convinced they are a piece or 2 from being a .500 team and competitive with most anyone. Thats all I really want out of them right now, the bar is low.

You would hope that is the management's approach to it as well, has there been a lot of talk from the players being upset with the firing of the head coach?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would hope that is the management's approach to it as well, has there been a lot of talk from the players being upset with the firing of the head coach?

I was very surprised by it too. Must have been some internal strife b/t Chud and upper management. Its the only thing that makes any sense to me.

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made the Bills defense top 10 this year. Was Rex Ryan's right hand man for years, left the Jets to get out of Rex's shadow so he can get a HC opportunity like this.

I don't think Cleveland was what he had in mind though lol... Hope his impatience doesn't F him over.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't be worse than Pat Shurmur.

This is probably as winnable as the AFC North has been in recent memory but they still need a lot of help

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't be worse than Pat Shurmur.

This is probably as winnable as the AFC North has been in recent memory but they still need a lot of help

I don't know about that.

Pittsburgh won 8 of their last 12 and don't really have any real issues to deal with this coming off season so they should pick up right where they left off.

The Bengals also finished strongly - despite the playoff loss. The loss of Zimmer might hurt them since he was the DC. We'll see.

The Ravens were left scrambling for answers at the end of the year and I expect them to be doing so again come Sept.

Think about it...the Steelers started 0-4 and still finished ahead of Baltimore in the standings.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that.

Pittsburgh won 8 of their last 12 and don't really have any real issues to deal with this coming off season so they should pick up right where they left off.

The Bengals also finished strongly - despite the playoff loss. The loss of Zimmer might hurt them since he was the DC. We'll see.

The Ravens were left scrambling for answers at the end of the year and I expect them to be doing so again come Sept.

Think about it...the Steelers started 0-4 and still finished ahead of Baltimore in the standings.
Yeah, I think you are right actually. If there was a year for the Browns to compete, it was last year which is why they fired their coach. Steelers are a bit old on defense but they'll win at least 8 next year. Ravens should be better next year. Bengals have one of the 3 most talented teams in the NFL but a terrible QB.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think you are right actually. If there was a year for the Browns to compete, it was last year which is why they fired their coach. Steelers are a bit old on defense but they'll win at least 8 next year. Ravens should be better next year. Bengals have one of the 3 most talented teams in the NFL but a terrible QB.

We got younger on defense this year - that's why we struggled. We got rid of Casey Hampton and James Harrison and both were replaced by young guys. Our D is actually pretty young for the most part, ditto for the offense.

We're old at key positions like QB, and S though.

Bengals are talented but I've never been sold on their offense - it's a one trick pony: Dalton to Greene. After that they don't have a lot. It was their D making that team win and Zimmer was the engine behind that. We'll see what happens, though.

Ravens have some questions to answer. They felt Boldin's loss more than they were willing to admit. He was Flacco's go to guy and Flacco seemed lost without him. Without that passing game, Ray Rice went nowhere.

The Browns were once the best team in football but they've been rebuilding for a long time now. 14 starting QB's since 1999. Damn. And every few years a new HC or owner or GM on top of that. It's like they never allow water to find it's own level.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They pretty much are one and have been since they got a team back haha.

Got some good young guys tho, just need a QB. The league is so QB dependent now.

I think you guys do have talent and just need a bit more on the offensive side. What I am worried about is the front office chasing after someone (Manziel) in the draft and wasting picks in the process. That could lead to them using HCs as scapegoats and getting rid of them every year or two. If firing Chudzinski being dumped after a year was a "I want my guys" play so be it. But they do that again in year or two and expect any qualified candidates to apply.

Part of me was hoping McDaniels would be hired and fail like he did in Denver so he never gets a shot ever again. Though he might hang around NE and take over for Belichick and I am okay if he wants to sink the patriots instead.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Cleveland was what he had in mind though lol... Hope his impatience doesn't F him over.

I dont know how true it is but the rumor is the reason he was avail for the Bills to hire him is because he constantly butted heads with Ryan so he didnt want him back on his staff. I also got the feeling that he was not the Browns top choice. Also he improved our pass rush by about 100% our run defense was still swiss cheese. I do believe some of that had to do with the lack of talent of the LBs but it was also his system that contributed.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys do have talent and just need a bit more on the offensive side. What I am worried about is the front office chasing after someone (Manziel) in the draft and wasting picks in the process. That could lead to them using HCs as scapegoats and getting rid of them every year or two. If firing Chudzinski being dumped after a year was a "I want my guys" play so be it. But they do that again in year or two and expect any qualified candidates to apply.

Part of me was hoping McDaniels would be hired and fail like he did in Denver so he never gets a shot ever again. Though he might hang around NE and take over for Belichick and I am okay if he wants to sink the patriots instead.

I cant imagine that the Browns would be dumb enough to hire another Belicheck protege it didnt work out will the first 2 or 3 times they did it.