• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Leach- Why won't a decent school jump?

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading about Florida Atlantic and how Leach is on their list.

If I'm a school that is not winning games, going to good bowls, but am in a decent enough conference to make it happen, why won't I be hiring Mike Leach?

Maybe he likes the idea because he's been living in the Keys, but coaching at Florida Atlantic sounds like a big step down from TTU.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe it is because he is a kook and thinks he is a pirate.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not worth the inevitable ESPN firestorm for most schools.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is because he is a kook and thinks he is a pirate.

Thought most would say this, because we probably think these are bad things. I say it would be a good thing for a school that's never won before and no one cares about aside from alumni.

Free press coverage and space on ESPN, and potential recruits seeing that. Not to mention skill players being interested in that offense alone.

Yeah, he may draw unwanted press along with the good, but I'd risk it if I were a nobody school trying to earn some football money and build a program.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this.

ESPN is why Leach is down to Florida Atlantic and New Mexico as his options.

Mainly because Craig James is a tool

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its the same reason it took Howard Schnellenberger 6 years to find a job after OU fired him.

He is a PR nightmare but someone will take a chance with him in a few years.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big reason.......

He's suing Texas Tech. NOBODY wants to hire a guy that will bring suit to them like Leach is to Tech, even though he's in the right.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got some baggage that many programs will think long and hard before taking on.

I think he will land somewhere and do fine but right now it's a bit of a risky move.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thought most would say this, because we probably think these are bad things. I say it would be a good thing for a school that's never won before and no one cares about aside from alumni.

Free press coverage and space on ESPN, and potential recruits seeing that. Not to mention skill players being interested in that offense alone.

Yeah, he may draw unwanted press along with the good, but I'd risk it if I were a nobody school trying to earn some football money and build a program.

A school where no one cares about football is the least likely school to hire Leach.

Their interests obviously lie elsewhere, and would prefer that football stays out of the spotlight as opposed to drawing unwanted attention to the school.

I think, if anyone goes for Leach, it's a team like Rutgers, UConn, Temple or ECU. Someone who is in a very desperate situation when it comes to conference re-alignment, and could use any publicity whatsoever.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach could scare some folks if he had those kind of resources.

he's going to have to work with nothing first

only New Mexico and Florida Atlantic are prepared to take the risk involved in signing Leach.

New Mexico is a place where Leach could really do good for himself

New Mexico actually has a lot of talent but Locksley was NOT the right guy to coach it.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's going to have to work with nothing first

only New Mexico and Florida Atlantic are prepared to take the risk involved in signing Leach.

New Mexico is a place where Leach could really do good for himself

New Mexico actually has a lot of talent but Locksley was NOT the right guy to coach it.

New Mexico certainly would be a great place for Leach. I think he'd do just fine.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools with any related sports sheds are not a good option for Leach

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he is one of the candidates Ohio State looks at for next season. not saying I want him as coach but he is worth a look

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he is one of the candidates Ohio State looks at for next season. not saying I want him as coach but he is worth a look

Leach will never coach at a major program like OSU. He's too kooky.

He's a guy that hates dealing with boosters, does not like dealing with the media, and does not like to raise funds.

Hes great with Xs and Os......but everything else you have to do to be a coach at a major program, not so much......

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach will never coach at a major program like OSU. He's too kooky.

He's a guy that hates dealing with boosters, does not like dealing with the media, and does not like to raise funds.

Hes great with Xs and Os......but everything else you have to do to be a coach at a major program, not so much......

hmmm yeah that doesn't sound like a very good candidate. all I really know about him is the Xs and Os part - also seemed like he was a good recruiter

GunsUp_ShootinBlanks

I spreche turable Engrish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm yeah that doesn't sound like a very good candidate. all I really know about him is the Xs and Os part - also seemed like he was a good recruiter

Only if you are a fan of card tricks.

GunsUp_ShootinBlanks

I spreche turable Engrish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. well they scored some points and he put some pretty good players in the league

Hard to argue with that, but he really just didn't care too much about recruiting. Especially on defense.