• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Jones Mailbag

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s only Week 3 of the preseason and the rumor mill is on fire already. Is there any truth to the latest, that Jay Gruden left RGIII in the game intentionally and that it is personal between the two of them?

– Tammi Armstrong

It’s never too early for the circus to roll into town, is it? Yes, the rumor mill has already cranked up. But you’ve got to take a lot – especially from some outlets – with a grain of salt. That was a really silly report that came out, that Gruden left Griffin in the game because it was personal. Anyone who thinks that was the case is someone who isn’t plugged in on what’s going on behind the scenes at Redskins Park. Yes, it was surprising to see Gruden trot his starting quarterback back out there for a fourth series, when the first three possessions were nothing short of a debacle. But it wasn’t personal, it was mandated. Jay Gruden has received clear instructions that Griffin is his quarterback, and that all Griffin needs is more work and time to become comfortable in the system.

Remember, Gruden wanted to stage an open competition for the job. But between the time of his final press conference of 2014, in December, and his first of 2015, in February, the tune had changed. Daniel Snyder and Bruce Allen aren’t ready to give up on Griffin, multiple people within the organization insist. Scot McCloughan believes that more than the quarterback situation needs fixing, so he’s going about fortifying the rest of the roster while evaluating Griffin. Allen is on record saying Griffin is a young quarterback that just needs time. Time is what Griffin is getting – even if that means going back into a game where he’s getting thrown around like a rag doll. Gruden did subject Griffin to risk of injury, but Griffin didn’t do much of anything to protect himself, either. Gruden felt like his quarterback badly needed something positive to build on, both for his confidence and for the confidence of the other offensive starters. That’s why he continued to play Griffin. Even people within the organization, who aren’t sold on Snyder and Allen’s assessments, agreed that Griffin needed work.

So, no. Beyond silly to think that Gruden wanted to send Griffin out there to get him hurt so he could go with Colt McCoy or Kirk Cousins. Gruden is a former quarterback, who has dealt with serious injury. He wouldn’t wish that on anyone. And he didn’t send him back out there to cause the quarterback more embarrassment. Gruden doesn’t have a problem with Griffin personally, even despite No. 10’s quirks. He just wants him to execute and win games. Does the coach wish he could move on and start a different quarterback? Yes. But he’s doing what he’s told, and trying to do everything possible to prop Griffin up. Would he be happy to see Griffin have an awakening and start lighting it up again? You bet. Would he be relieved if he could call the shots at quarterback and give his team the best chance to win? Yes, again. But he isn’t trying to solve the Griffin dilemma in a conniving way.

The Redskins exercised the option on Robert Griffin’s contract, which, if Griffin gets hurt, means the Redskins would be on the hook for $16 million. If that happens, how much of the $16 million would count against next year’s salary cap? If the full $16 million would count against next year’s salary cap, which would be a heavy hit against the salary cap, can the Redskins bench Griffin, who has performed poorly in preseason and has shown he is injury prone, so that the $16 million would not count against next year’s salary cap?

– Al Ezrin, Murrells Inlet, S.C

Yes, all $16 million would count against the cap if Griffin suffered a serious injury and wasn’t able to pass a physical at the start of the 2016 league year because he was still rehabbing. Because of that, multiple people close to the franchise believe that Griffin will be on a short leash this season. If he’s performing poorly, taking unnecessary sacks, putting himself at risk of injury and losing games, then he’ll get the hook, they believe. A cap hit of $16 million for a guy who’s not the answer at quarterback – and if seriously injured, may never play again – is too hefty to absorb. The question is how long will Griffin have to exhibit that type of poor play before he gets the hook? It’s hard to say. Some of those same people with ties to the team believe the quarterback will get four games. It’s really a question of how much Snyder and Allen need to see before coming around to everyone else’s point of view. Could be longer.

Why is everyone in such a panic about the first string offense? It’s only been two pre-season games, DeSean Jackson has been out, Trent Williams missed the Detroit game, they’ve had injuries at the tight end position. And on top of everything the first game against Cleveland they moved the ball extremely well. Let’s also not forget the Lions boast a possible top-five defense even without Suh. In your opinion, is it really time to start panicking and talking about quarterback controversies?

– Rob Fox

I think the reaction is a culmination of everything we’ve all seen in 2013, 2014 and now this preseason. Griffin hasn’t played effectively since his rookie season. He’s gotten benched for non-injury reasons twice. He hasn’t led the starting offense to a touchdown in the preseason since his rookie year. Even without Jackson, this unit should be moving the ball and picking up first downs here and there and scoring a couple touchdowns. They never crossed midfield against Detroit. That defensive front is good, but not that good. The final series came against the second-string defensive line. Colt McCoy then came in and started moving the ball against that same front.

So that’s why there’s concern about quarterback and the first-team offense. Yes, Williams was injured, and that makes a big difference, but things shouldn’t have gone as poorly as they did. Let’s see if they can bounce back and finally put something together against Baltimore.

The Pierre Garcon should’ve-been-touchdown against Cleveland would have changed the narrative, to a degree. But I have a suspicion that what we saw against Detroit is closer to reality. Again, let’s see how this third preseason game goes. Even after that, I wouldn’t recommend panicking. But, you might want to get a backup hobby plan for your Sunday afternoons, just in case more carnage ensues and drives you away from your TV set.

Attachments

• 2015-08-21T005213Z_196749050_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NFL-PRESEASON-DETROIT-LIONS-AT-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS.jpg
    2015-08-21T005213Z_196749050_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NFL-PRESEASON-DETROIT-LIONS-AT-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 10

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continued

People talk about the Redskins starting their worst quarterback and all that, but how can you blame them after Griffin looked like the best quarterback all offseason? Cousins and McCoy were not consistently this sharp in OTAs, minicamp, or training camp. They were inconsistent from what I heard, especially McCoy. How do they magically play this well in preseason when they were so inconsistent even against 2s and 3s all camp? And the same for RGIII? Where is that guy who had some strings of sharp practices? What is the difference between the past several months and preseason, besides a yellow jersey? Is practice not a real enough situation?

– Kelechi Nwanevu

I think the Redskins wish they knew the answer to that question. Griffin indeed looked like the sharpest of all the quarterbacks during offseason and training-camp practices. He exhibited improvements both in fundamentals and decision making. However, we’ve seen a lot of those positives go out the window when Griffin is under pressure. It’s natural for instinct to take over in the heat of battle, but his instincts haven’t been sharp enough, or correct often enough.

As for McCoy and Cousins, that’s a good question as well. Perhaps once the adrenaline is flowing, their instincts take over in a positive way, and the execution is more crisp. So far, Cousins has managed to take care of the ball, and last week McCoy did a good job of quickly finding a rhythm and throwing with accuracy. I don’t know if anyone has the true answer to that question, though.

How much speed has RGIII lost as a result of his previous injuries? What was his 40-yard time in 2012 and what is his 40-yard time in 2015? I remember a game in his rookie year against the NY Giants where he ran around so much on one play and was so [elusive], the entire Giants defensive line was gasping for air. Now, it seems like he is easily chased down behind the line of scrimmage by big defensive linemen.

– Roger Edwards, High Point, N.C.

Griffin clocked a 4.41-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine entering his rookie season. They don’t officially time players every year, but it’s safe tosay he has lost at least a few hundredths of a second off of that time. He’s still plenty fast. He has the ability to escape plays. But he’s running a different offense, and more intent on making plays with his arm – and at times, it appears to have lost his daring ways – and so we haven’t seen that speed on full display.

The problem is, his instincts aren’t always very sharp. Other times, his hesitancy to run and the simultaneous effort to look downfield and find an open receiver has led to him getting caught in the backfield. If Griffin made up his mind to take off and pick up a chunk of yardage, he certainly could. Would it be a 76-yard touchdown run? Hard to say. But he could outrun a defender or two. Just to be clear, however, the diminished speed is not the reason for his struggles.

The last couple of seasons there were concerns about the wide receiver position and its lack of height. Last season the biggest and tallest receiver on the roster was Leonard Hankerson. Now he’s gone. Now the tallest one may be Ryan Grant though he’s not known to be a big physical pass catcher. Why hasn’t there been any worries about it this season? Is that something that is overvalued? And is that something the team should address especially with tight end issues?

– Juan Fortiz, Mount Vernon, Va.

Ryan Grant, like Pierre Garcon, is only 6 feet tall. The team did attempt to address the size issue by drafting Evan Spencer, who’s 6-2, 208. They also had signed Quinton Dunbar (6-2, 201), but he has since switched to cornerback. Spencer remains a work in progress, but does have a chance to make the team. His size could certainly help, particularly in the red zone. But more than anything, he’ll likely have a chance to contribute on special teams.

There’s more to wide receivers than size, however. The team passed on the chance to draft or sign other big-target receivers because they didn’t grade out well, in their scouts’ opinions. You don’t just want them signing big bodies just because they’re big bodies. Taller wide receivers certainly would help in the red zone, where Washington struggles most. But the team does have size at tight end – Jordan Reed (6-3, 237), Je’Ron Hamm (6-4, 236), Derek Carrier (6-4, 241), Chase Dixon (6-5, 240). If Reed can stay healthy, or if any of those others could prove themselves, they certainly will get some looks in the end zone.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rather telling statements made by Jones in the mailbag this week. If he keeps this up, he might find his press pass to redskins park restricted to the parking lot on alternate Tuesdays.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rather telling statements made by Jones in the mailbag this week. If he keeps this up, he might find his press pass to redskins park restricted to the parking lot on alternate Tuesdays.
I found it surprisingly forthcoming myself :nod:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm struggling to find anything Jones said that hasn't been said and discussed before.

So Griffin's contract extension kicks in if he gets an injury that is so severe that he can't pass a physical at the start of the following season, meaning September 2016? That's not that dangerous, even his worst injury suffered at the worst time, after the season in the playoffs, didn't cause him to miss the following opener. So he could break 8 bones in December and probably still pass a physical the following Sept. So what's the big risk again?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm struggling to find anything Jones said that hasn't been said and discussed before.

So Griffin's contract extension kicks in if he gets an injury that is so severe that he can't pass a physical at the start of the following season, meaning September 2016? That's not that dangerous, even his worst injury suffered at the worst time, after the season in the playoffs, didn't cause him to miss the following opener. So he could break 8 bones in December and probably still pass a physical the following Sept. So what's the big risk again?
Another knee injury would certainly do it. BTW, don't think its sept, think its the start of the league year which is the start of Free Agency period. Around March 1.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that would make more sense, hardly right to wait till the opener to cut him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The big risk is that if he gets injured and it ends this current season, knowing the money is guaranteed if he fails the physical ( and Im not suggesting he would fail it on purpose), but in the event that he does NOT rehab as quickly as normal the team could have to eat that contract come March 1 of the new league year. Again not suggesting he WOULD do that. But its not impossible either.

And whats actually more telling is hints that the coach does not in fact want him as the starter, and that some feel he is actually doing more harm than good as the starter at this point.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big risk is that if he gets injured and it ends this current season, knowing the money is guaranteed if he fails the physical ( and Im not suggesting he would fail it on purpose), but in the event that he does NOT rehab as quickly as normal the team could have to eat that contract come March 1 of the new league year. Again not suggesting he WOULD do that. But its not impossible either.

And whats actually more telling is hints that the coach does not in fact want him as the starter, and that some feel he is actually doing more harm than good as the starter at this point.

True. However - it is good to read that an insider feels that RG3 will get the hook for poor performance after around 4 games. That is consistent with what I have felt all along. If RG3 really stinks up the place it could be even sooner. Therefore - if folks truly believe that RG3 is not the answer & Cousins deserves a shot - no worries - he will get his opportunity. The only way Cousins doesn't see the field is if RG3 plays well & stays healthy which is also a win for the Redskins & their fans.

Realistically this team isn't going anywhere so I would not sweat losing a game or two due to poor QB play if it also helps identify the Redskins QB of the future (who sadly may not be on this team rt now).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. However - it is good to read that an insider feels that RG3 will get the hook for poor performance after around 4 games. That is consistent with what I have felt all along. If RG3 really stinks up the place it could be even sooner. Therefore - if folks truly believe that RG3 is not the answer & Cousins deserves a shot - no worries - he will get his opportunity. The only way Cousins doesn't see the field is if RG3 plays well & stays healthy which is also a win for the Redskins & their fans.

Realistically this team isn't going anywhere so I would not sweat losing a game or two due to poor QB play if it also helps identify the Redskins QB of the future (who sadly may not be on this team rt now).

That would be the optimistic point of view. My take is, if Griffin looks slightly better then all bets are off aside from injury. And while the team may not be going any place, if Griffin goes from putrid ( which lets be honest he has been) to say Jason Campbell levels, I think the mandate to start him stays in effect. To me its not about Cousins getting a shot, because i believe both guys are damaged good at this point. Its more about not continuing to pour time and resources into the greater of two evils. While Cousins may not win us alot of games, he will allow the line and the offense as a whole to improve. I just feel that Griffin limits the development of the rest of the offense because simply put the offense goes no where with him as QB at this point.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the optimistic point of view. My take is, if Griffin looks slightly better then all bets are off aside from injury. And while the team may not be going any place, if Griffin goes from putrid ( which lets be honest he has been) to say Jason Campbell levels, I think the mandate to start him stays in effect. To me its not about Cousins getting a shot, because i believe both guys are damaged good at this point. Its more about not continuing to pour time and resources into the greater of two evils. While Cousins may not win us alot of games, he will allow the line and the offense as a whole to improve. I just feel that Griffin limits the development of the rest of the offense because simply put the offense goes no where with him as QB at this point.

Fair enough. I would simply ask you to be patient (I know - it is tough & we have been asked to do this too much in the past) & have a little faith in the FO to do the rt thing with this area of the team. I don't believe that it is simply a matter of seeing slight improvement from RG3. He has to show that he is moving in the rt direction & can make a significant contribution to this team moving forward (& stay healthy).

I believe that SM & company have enough experience in this area to make the correct decisions. If Gruden gets in the way - NP - he will be gone barring a spectacular season & I have no problem w/that. The overwhelming amt of problems w/ this team in the recent past have been in the FO. This is being corrected at the current time, but it will take quite a while to truly fix the mess that was inherited & that includes the QB position. Let's see what happens. It might just mean that the Redskins won't be the doom and gloom organization that we have become used to in the past.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i kind of see it the way both of you do. I totally agree with Shark, if Griffin shows some improvement that may be enough for them to continue down this road. I've always felt this way which is why I understood them protecting themselves with the extension. But I also want to trust the front office as SoCal says and hope they make the right decision. I know the one decision that I don't want to see made and that is going with Colt.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see this being about any of the QB's, it is ALL about SM's vision going forward and Danny's ability to be patient. Face it guys no one expects this team to make any noise until the majority of his kind of players are in place. Yep!, it's fun talking about the QB position because......well......it's fun, but honestly, looking at the current squad there's still a lot of turnover yet to come, including at QB. Fortunately, for all of us low expectations still means winning off the field which translates into bye bye SM.