• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan beats 3 top 10 teams - remains ranked behind each one in Coaches poll

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

USA Today | Sports | NCAAB

MSU #6
Iowa #12
Wisconsin #13
Michigan #14

Talk about getting screwed there. Wisconsin lost 3 straight and beat a terrible Purdue team and Iowa has lost to 2/3 of the ranked teams they've played with their only win coming against a slipping OSU team.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the new AP poll has them #10 ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches stopped giving a shit long ago. The poll is worthless, and not just in the "All the polls are worthless, they're just opinions, man" kinda way, it really has no basis in reality.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches poll is for fucktards. the coaches don't even vote, it's their GAs that fill out the ballots.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

MSU #6
Iowa #12
Wisconsin #13
Michigan #14

Talk about getting screwed there. Wisconsin lost 3 straight and beat a terrible Purdue team and Iowa has lost to 2/3 of the ranked teams they've played with their only win coming against a slipping OSU team.

How exactly are you getting screwed? Duke beat Michigan and they're ahead of Duke in the polls.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

MSU #6
Iowa #12
Wisconsin #13
Michigan #14

Really who gives a damn about these polls? We have a playoff established that works pretty well in determining the best teams. There's a long way to go in the B1G and you guys could just as easily be sitting where Iowa, Bucky, osu or MSU is now in the next couple weeks...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polls are meaningless and frankly Michigans computer numbers are even shittier than their rankings in the human polls so Id be happy with being 10th and 14th and in first place in the B10. IF you guys win the B10 youll be a 1 seed either way so its irrelevant.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polls are meaningless and frankly Michigans computer numbers are even shittier than their rankings in the human polls so Id be happy with being 10th and 14th and in first place in the B10. IF you guys win the B10 youll be a 1 seed either way so its irrelevant.

This. The whole getting bugged bout rankings is just ridiculous. And has no saying on your tourney seed anyways.

I am however surprised that Michigan is still behind Wisconsin. I figured them and Iowa would be right by each other so that one isn't surprising.

And you were not actually expecting MSU to fall from 3 to anywhere beyond 7 were you? So unless you were expecting 15 ranking jump for Michigan that one shouldn't be surprising.

I'd more just be happy bout the 3 great wins and 1st place in B1G, the things that actually matter.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that matters is making the big dance... outside that, there is nothing really to talk about.

The A>B and B>C therefore A>C logic doesn't work. There are a dozen other factors at play... everything from where the games were played, was the best team on the floor, how solid is the OOC schedule, how about conference schedule, etc.

I will give you an example: My Gators. We literally wiped the floor with Kansas for 3 quarters and it wasn't until we subbed in players who don't play often and starting screwing around that they made it close at the end. But the game was at Florida... and Kansas was still figuring themselves out. So Florida beat Kansas... but if we played again today on a neutral court, I think that game could look very different.

Wisconsin beating Florida is another great example in the other direction. We were missing key starters including our "Trey Burke" in Scottie Wilbekin. Sure, Wisky won (albeit not by a wide margin) but if that game is played today with a healthy Florida, I think that game looks completely different as well.

Basketball is a "on any given night" sport. Beating someone doesn't mean you are unilaterally better than them in all cases. That is why it is so much fun to watch also... because unlike football, 1 or 2 losses doesn't end your chances at the championship.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that matters is making the big dance... outside that, there is nothing really to talk about.

The A>B and B>C therefore A>C logic doesn't work. There are a dozen other factors at play... everything from where the games were played, was the best team on the floor, how solid is the OOC schedule, how about conference schedule, etc.

I will give you an example: My Gators. We literally wiped the floor with Kansas for 3 quarters and it wasn't until we subbed in players who don't play often and starting screwing around that they made it close at the end. But the game was at Florida... and Kansas was still figuring themselves out. So Florida beat Kansas... but if we played again today on a neutral court, I think that game could look very different.

Wisconsin beating Florida is another great example in the other direction. We were missing key starters including our "Trey Burke" in Scottie Wilbekin. Sure, Wisky won (albeit not by a wide margin) but if that game is played today with a healthy Florida, I think that game looks completely different as well.

Basketball is a "on any given night" sport. Beating someone doesn't mean you are unilaterally better than them in all cases. That is why it is so much fun to watch also... because unlike football, 1 or 2 losses doesn't end your chances at the championship.

To add to this many times games are all about match ups.

Maybe Iowa matches up great with Florida and they beat Florida. But Iowa loses to Arizona while Florida matches up great with Arizona and beats them.

there are too many random varibles. Just let the committee sort out the seeds at the end once the entire body of work is completely. The top 25 ranking is meaningless.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word

I'd more just be happy bout the 3 great wins and 1st place in B1G, the things that actually matter.

well, :nod:, but...that's you

some folks like mid-season parades, en sech

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Coaches poll is a joke. AP is what most people go by anyways

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Michigan fans have to understand that MSU was missing two key players. As mentioned, it doesn't matter; just get a good seed in the NC tourney and your good. IMO, MSU pulls it together and wins the Big10.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Michigan fans have to understand that MSU was missing two key players. As mentioned, it doesn't matter; just get a good seed in the NC tourney and your good. IMO, MSU pulls it together and wins the Big10.

MSU is going to be hard pressed to win the B10 IMO, IF Payne is out another 2 weeks the Spartans could easily lose 2 more B10 games @ Iowa tomorrow ( which Payne will almost certainly miss ) and @ Wisconsin 2/9 ( which he will probably be back for but maybe not ). With Dawson being out too it makes the margin for error razor thin especially if the Spartans lose tomorrow since they basically be 3rd place in the league halfway through and Michigan would already have wins at Wisconsin and at MSU which are 2 of the tougher places to win at.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured 12-14. They're at 10 in the AP, which seems kinda high with 4 losses. (Ahead of Iowa State and Duke in both, I'll take it.). Not that any of it is a huge deal right yet.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured 12-14. They're at 10 in the AP, which seems kinda high with 4 losses. (Ahead of Iowa State and Duke in both, I'll take it.). Not that any of it is a huge deal right yet.

meh...take what you're given...

in the meanwhile, please accept my thumbs-up for sporting the most hilarious avatar on the site!

:thumb:

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does it really matter...Michigan just needs to beat the teams they should and lose to the teams they should on the road and have a strong B1G tourney and they'll have a great seed in the tourney...I expect Iowa to win at home and lose a few they should on the road...finish 1-4 in the B1G tourney and they'll be a 3 seed at worst