• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Sam ?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize this could be a slippery road to walk down, but out of curiosity, which members of the civil rights movement were not self-serving in your opinion?

Those who did not benefit from it directly but stood up and put themselves in danger anyway because they thought it was the right thing to do.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Those who did not benefit from it directly but stood up and put themselves in danger anyway because they thought it was the right thing to do.

I had a feeling you were going to say that. So no black people get credit from you for the civil rights movement.

Of course, I'm sure if you asked any white activist in the civil rights movement, they would tell you that they derived substantial benefit from the end of segregation. So no one deserves credit for the civil rights movement.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Question Toby: what accomplishments do deserve credit? Cite a specific example of an accomplishment and a person who deserves considerable credit for it.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling you were going to say that. So no black people get credit from you for the civil rights movement.

Of course, I'm sure if you asked any white activist in the civil rights movement, they would tell you that they derived substantial benefit from the end of segregation. So no one deserves credit for the civil rights movement.

Toby does... Toby deserves all the credit...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question Toby: what accomplishments do deserve credit? Cite a specific example of an accomplishment and a person who deserves considerable credit for it.

I could name hundreds but let's go with Jonas Salk's dedication to erradicating human suffering and his discovery of the polio vaccine.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, they get credit for making it happen. They get a ton of credit. They just don't get credit for doing it for phinathropical reasons. Their reasons were self serving and that drops them down the list in my opinion. Another example is Tom Watson dropping out of a major golf club he belonged to because they didn't accept Jewish members. Seems noble on the surface. Turn's out Tom's reasoning was because his wife was Jewish. Ol' Tom didn't have an issue with it the 20 years prior to his marraige that he was a member of this club.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Explain. This outta be good.........

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I could name hundreds but let's go with Jonas Salk's dedication to erradicating human suffering and his discovery of the polio vaccine.

He didn't personally benefit from that discovery? Are you kidding me???

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, they get credit for making it happen. They get a ton of credit. They just don't get credit for doing it for phinathropical reasons. Their reasons were self serving and that drops them down the list in my opinion. Another example is Tom Watson dropping out of a major golf club he belonged to because they didn't accept Jewish members. Seems noble on the surface. Turn's out Tom's reasoning was because his wife was Jewish. Ol' Tom didn't have an issue with it the 20 years prior to his marraige that he was a member of this club.

Yes, I'm sure all those black activists expected and saw the benifit of their struggles... That's why MLK's dream was about himself and not future generations... Oh wait... You're such a clueless tard who just talks out his ass. Pleae, get banned already. Much like in society, you add nothing to conversations here. You're a very stupid person. I don't know how to say it any more plainly.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't personally benefit from that discovery? Are you kidding me???

No. Unless you know something I don't. And he accepted not a penny for his work or his discovery. He gave the serum away for free.

A quote from the great Doctor himself:

His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"[

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. Unless you know something I don't. And he accepted not a penny for his work or his discovery. He gave the serum away for free.

And yet, you know who he is. Remind me who that guy was who worked on polio in the lab down the street from Salk and didn't invent the vaccine? Or those thousands of other people who worked in hundreds of labs around the country/world and didn't invent the vaccine?

I'm not knocking Salk's contribution in any way. It was a tremendous achievement. But claiming he didn't personally benefit from it? That's simply preposterous.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people believe their lives are improved when discrimination based on race is not legal. I realize that's probably a crazy concept to you.

Those Freedom Rider college students from Boston and New York would have seen no change in their personal lives; none, without the civil rights movement other than perhaps a few more talented athlete's on their respective sports teams. Yet they put their lives on the line to go down south and implement voter registration drives and civil rights protests. That is worthy of my respect.

It always interests me when you use this logic. Not saying you are wrong, just that I disagree.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, you know who he is. Remind me who that guy was who worked on polio in the lab down the street from Salk and didn't invent the vaccine? Or those thousands of other people who worked in hundreds of labs around the country/world and didn't invent the vaccine?

I'm not knocking Salk's contribution in any way. It was a tremendous achievement. But claiming he didn't personally benefit from it? That's simply preposterous.

How so; seriously?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How so; seriously?

How not? One example:

Salk's dream was to create an independent research center where a community of scholars interested in different aspects of biology – the study of life – could come together to follow their curiosity.

A dream he achieved - in the form of a top-of-the-line institute in a beautiful location - due to the fame he achieved from inventing the polio vaccine.

Salk Institute - About Salk - History of Salk - About Jonas Salk

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Those Freedom Rider college students from Boston and New York would have seen no change in their personal lives; none, without the civil rights movement other than perhaps a few more talented athlete's on their respective sports teams. Yet they put their lives on the line to go down south and implement voter registration drives and civil rights protests. That is worthy of my respect.

It always interests me when you use this logic. Not saying you are wrong, just that I disagree.

I guarantee that if you asked any one of them, they would disagree with you.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How not? One example:

Salk's dream was to create an independent research center where a community of scholars interested in different aspects of biology – the study of life – could come together to follow their curiosity.

A dream he achieved - in the form of a top-of-the-line institute in a beautiful location - due to the fame he achieved from inventing the polio vaccine.

Salk Institute - About Salk - History of Salk - About Jonas Salk

C'mon now. That's a stretch even for you. You honestly think he conducted his work so he could create his research center? A non-profit research center at that?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee that if you asked any one of them, they would disagree with you.

Perhaps; probably, even. But there are some very good people in the world and those are the people you are describing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
C'mon now. That's a stretch even for you. You honestly think he conducted his work so he could create his research center? A non-profit research center at that?

You're changing your argument. Your argument about civil rights did not consider the primary motivations of the people engaged in civil rights work, it only considered whether they personally benefited. Even if Salk's motivation was entirely philanthropic - and I'm not disputing that it was - he reaped considerable personal benefit from his work.

Based on your argument, he does not deserve very much credit because his work led to his own personal benefit. Admittedly, I believe that's a completely asinine argument. I'm simply extending the logic to this situation.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I wanted to return to this.

What's Watson's personal benefit from that? He could go to club regardless. He wasn't Jewish. If we're broadening "personal benefit" to include benefit to family and friends, your already miniscule pool of truly philanthropic people is going to shrink to zero. For instance, if your Freedom Riders had a single minority friend, based on the Tom Watson standard, their actions were not truly philanthropic. If Salk was close to anyone with polio, his actions were not philanthropic by the standard you lay out above.