• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Merrill Suspended

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michigan Wolverines | U-M defenseman Merrill suspended for 12 games | The Detroit News

As a college hockey fan I can say that 99% of these suspensions are alcohol related. They have really strict policies regarding zero tolerance, and even for over 21s, many schools, such as BU have certain nights the players are allowed to party.

Two things that I'm worried about:

1. This will cut at least 25% of his season out so he won't have as much development time.

2. Will this affect his chances to make the WJC squad?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to know wtf he did. He's suspension from the ntdp was for running around grabbing titties, and now 12 games? That a HUGE suspension especially to be handed down in house. I want to know wtf he did.

Development tho I think hell be fine and the world junior team will keep him the fact is he's a stud. He's just an idiot

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, anybody hear exactly what he did?

He's a superstar and they are clearly making an example out of him.

He's 19 (I think) Hope this sticks with him and he learns form it. I think it's a good thing in the long-run. Make him mature and the coaches want him to set an example, be a leader in the locker room and not screw around outside of it.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i doubt we'll hear anytime soon at least. i can ask a few people but most of them are involved with hockey east so i doubt they'll know.

i just pray it was drinking. 12 games is a heaving suspension and him having had discipline issues in the past does make me worry

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like he might jump ship and go to the OHL.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked to a kid I know on Plymouth and its in the locker room now that he might be coming so I think its only a matter of time

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luckily Larsson is with the team now. If he goes to the OHL just trade the guy for some high end center prospect. Lou was going to need to trade some of the Defensemen he's stockpiled anyways.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly hope he gets his act together and whatever route he takes works out. I was fired up when we took him and I would really like to see this guy on the Devils.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really hope he cleans up..... if he shows the slightest bit of shakiness we all know lou will give him the boot and his value will go down.

i saw this guy live play at the world juniors last year and he's an absolute stud.... he was hands down the best player on the US team. including campbell

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its not even about the talent anymore. If the guy runs away from his problems and defies his superiors I don't see why he should stick around. Lou would never tolerate people like that.

Most other teams would love to get a Dman talent like Merrill and the Devils happen to have one of the deepest pools of Defensemen in the league with Larsson, Merrill, Urbom, and the 2nd rounders. I was looking forward to seeing Merrill on the Devils blue line but I wouldn't be against getting a similarly talented center prospect in a trade.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luckily Larsson is with the team now. If he goes to the OHL just trade the guy for some high end center prospect. Lou was going to need to trade some of the Defensemen he's stockpiled anyways.

Wait, why would we trade him because he's going to the OHL?

It's not just him running away from his problems. He's also missing a 1/3 of the season if he stays in college. He'll be fine. He's 19 and in college.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Merrill would be quitting his Michigan team to make use of an out to avoid the Coach's disciplinary actions.

I'm not doubting he will be a good NHL player and wont mind seeing him in the red and black... but with how Lou runs the team I can't see him staying around.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merrill would be quitting his Michigan team to make use of an out to avoid the Coach's disciplinary actions.

I'm not doubting he will be a good NHL player and wont mind seeing him in the red and black... but with how Lou runs the team I can't see him staying around.

Reminds me of Cormier being dealt in the Kovy deal. It's not about a skill set with the Devils, it's a mindset. Bill Parcells was the same way in football. He had his guys that bought into his style/gameplan and if they didn't good riddance. We shall see how this turns out, but it will be a shame if this guy's talents are wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We'll see. it might not come out what he did, but I bet it's probably alcohol related. Sure he's running from the Michigan coach, BUT at the same time what's better for his development as a hockey player? As a person it's probably him staying in school, but that's not really our concern.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cormier wasn't dealt because of his suspension. Lou supported him publicly after the suspension was handed out and he also said he regretted having to trade Cormier partly because of the incident.

Plus, he did not go play hockey in another league after the suspension was handed out.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reminds me of Cormier being dealt in the Kovy deal. It's not about a skill set with the Devils, it's a mindset. Bill Parcells was the same way in football. He had his guys that bought into his style/gameplan and if they didn't good riddance. We shall see how this turns out, but it will be a shame if this guy's talents are wasted.

I'm not ready to make that jump. Cormier did something reprehensible, ON ICE, that easily could have altered the career of the player he did it to.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with MC. Lets not give up on him just yet. He needs playing time to hone in those skills at the elite level.

Also Cormier was gaining a reputation of someone going for head shots. Imagine him doing this in today's NHL....he would be suspended for some time. Here is McKenzies piece that mentions some of head shots he did in pretournament of the juniors and if I recall some of his checks/play in the tournament was questionable too.
McKenzie: Cormier has a good and bad reputation

That said, lets just hope Merrill learns from this.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seethats exactly where I think me and nasty both disagree tho....

with the devils you're development as a person is a big deal, its a value of the organization.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seethats exactly where I think me and nasty both disagree tho....

with the devils you're development as a person is a big deal, its a value of the organization.

I agree, but I'm not about to trade the kid because at age 19 he most likely had an alcohol violation.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fire & Ice

Getting a little ridiculous. What are his odds of making the team having not played a competitive game in months...