• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Washington Post: The NFL should let its players smoke pot

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breathing any smoke into your lungs is bad. That is pretty simple. So as a team owner, I would not want my players who I invest in smoking anything. Their job is directly related to their health and breathing. It should be legal but I still see no problem with the owners not wanting their players to smoke.

Smoking isn't the only way to partake marijuana. Also, there have been studies that showed a slight net positive to lung ability from smoking. Those aren't useful enough to state it is a positive, but they do provide enough to say that the generic and unsupported "smoking anything hurts your lungs" may not be factual. Cigarettes are loaded with chemicals and carcinogens; marijuana is not.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let them smoke it. Who the hell really cares? Back in the day when I played (granted just high school in Texas) the best players smoked it. First team all-state, major college and future NFL players. And that was 30 years ago.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of your stance on the legality of marijuana, right now, it is against the rules. As with any job, they should be expected to follow the rules.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That player won't have a leg to stand on. The employment contract is ironclad and he and the NFLPA agreed to it.

Yeah, that claim is a foolish one. There are substances that are entirely legal on the banned substances list. Legal or not has no bearing on the NFL rules.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of your stance on the legality of marijuana, right now, it is against the rules. As with any job, they should be expected to follow the rules.

This, is the point. Right now, follow the damn rules.

I just think they should look into softening their stance a bit. If a player works hard, produces on the field, doesn't beat his wife/GF or drive drunk and kill someone, shouldn't be so much penalty for a little weed.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty cheap to use the justification that these guys do stupid shit because they get shitfaced on alcohol.

"Oh, okay! Well in that case let's legalize weed too."

Makes no sense.

Ricky Williams respectfully disagrees with you

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That player won't have a leg to stand on. The employment contract is ironclad and he and the NFLPA agreed to it.

I understand the employment contract it is ironclad

However the perception could still make the NFL look bad IMO Hammer

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has been consistently demonstrated by the research. There is no long term harm caused by marijuana use in adults.

:L Somebody is listening to the wrong people on this. Marijuana impacts your memory and decision-making. It's extremely bad for your health and is only useful for treating terminally ill patients. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it should be illegal, but you would be blowing smoke, if you were to say it's harmless stuff.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been conclusively proven that that claim is a lie. Marijuana results in literally zero mental deterioration over time. John Hopkins did a 30 year study that demonstrated that it doesn't happen.

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Smoke em if you've got em! "

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them smoke. I don't give a damn. I'd bet a high percentage already do. They just don't get caught. It's not like its crippling addictive like heroin or meth. You can function just fine. It's far closer to alcohol than a harder drug.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been conclusively proven that that claim is a lie. Marijuana results in literally zero mental deterioration over time. John Hopkins did a 30 year study that demonstrated that it doesn't happen.

who cares about the long term effects, I think what he was getting at with the decision making and memory is while you are high at a certain time. I know if Im a coach or owner I don't want my players to show up to practices or games stoned or drunk.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read what I replied to. I'd bet plenty do show up high to games, but even given the assumption it is detrimental, it's not different than a player simply half-assing it. Either way what matters is the end result on the field.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a link for those of you who think pot is harmless: The Health Effects of Marijuana

I know, I know, pot-advocates will argue it's "propaganda" or "too long to read" (which would be pretty ironic), but it's a fact that pot is very bad for you, and impairs your judgement and memory.

I certainly wouldn't want any of my employees to be high or drunk.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at posting unsupported propaganda then claiming we'll call it exactly that.

The research on the subject consistently disproves the lies you make up.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at posting unsupported propaganda then claiming we'll call it exactly that.

The research on the subject consistently disproves the lies you make up.

:clap: Congratulations for proving my point. The link I have provides sources and examines exactly what pot does to your system, none of it good.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I survived the 60's without smoking anything. Many around me did. I have seen many pot smokers waste their lives because of being high. I cannot be convinced that it is good for you

I don't care if they legalize it as long as they solve the issue of preventing driving while high.
I don't think it's any worse for you then alcohol.
My biggest issue with pot being illegal is the prisons are full of convicted black pot smokers. This is another means of oppression. It has been happening for many years. We can not and should not allow a rascist police system to use pot as an excuse to incarcerate young blacks. Our prisons are full of now institutionallized blacks.
For the record, I am conservative and white and have never used pot.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of ways to "ingest" weed and it's active chemical THC rather than smoking.

weedbrownies.jpg

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I survived the 60's without smoking anything. Many around me did. I have seen many pot smokers waste their lives because of being high. I cannot be convinced that it is good for you

I don't care if they legalize it as long as they solve the issue of preventing driving while high.
I don't think it's any worse for you then alcohol.
My biggest issue with pot being illegal is the prisons are full of convicted black pot smokers. This is another means of oppression. It has been happening for many years. We can not and should not allow a rascist police system to use pot as an excuse to incarcerate young blacks. Our prisons are full of now institutionallized blacks.
For the record, I am conservative and white and have never used pot.

Any reasonable person would agree with you, Southie. Damn man, if I knew you were that old, I'd have been more respectful. :D