• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meanwhile, the owners get fatter …

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being the only publicly owned franchise, the Packers Annual Report is available to all as opposed to the private owners vaults. But that Packer report gives a glimpse of how the league is doing … like one piece of the pie. And folks, life is good … if you’re a team owner.

From: Green Bay Packers financial report provides peek into NFL business | The MMQB with Peter King

“Although the vast majority of the information in the Annual Report is Packer-specific, the key line item indicative of NFL health is the “League Distribution.” This is the amount each of the 32 teams receives annually from the NFL from shared revenue, primarily broadcast deals and national licensing.
The amount of that check this year was staggering: $226.4 million, an eye-popping 17% increase from last year’s distribution of $187.7 million. In other words, before any team in the NFL turns the lights on, it knows it has $226 million to work with. Putting that number in perspective, the team salary cap for 2014 was $133 million, meaning that if teams on average spent to the cap, they had almost $100 million left over after player costs to use for operations and, of course, profit. And, most importantly, that number is only going up.
As to the cap, it rose 7% while the league distribution was rising 17%. And, as for the commensurate rise in team asset values, well, those are skyrocketing. (The Bills, valued at $700 million to $800 million, recently sold for $1.4 billion.) In case you haven’t been paying attention, these NFL owners are some diabolical negotiators.”

Brady doesn’t have a cellphone chance at update time …

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think this wasn't gonna be another thread about Brady?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes the Billionaires made some great money there is more that goes into that money that just salary cap. You have to remember that the money is also used on facilities, coaches, FO people, heck the entire staff. That can add up to millions easy. Heck the Broncos just spent over $35 million on a new practice facility. So while that extra $100 million sounds great for these owners to pocket that is just not the case. Throw in you have to take out taxes from some of this considering this is income for these owners. Now yes these owners are not going hungry and won't anytime soon but the profits even though things have gone up profits wise so has costs to run an NFL organization.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes the Billionaires made some great money there is more that goes into that money that just salary cap. You have to remember that the money is also used on facilities, coaches, FO people, heck the entire staff. That can add up to millions easy. Heck the Broncos just spent over $35 million on a new practice facility. So while that extra $100 million sounds great for these owners to pocket that is just not the case. Throw in you have to take out taxes from some of this considering this is income for these owners. Now yes these owners are not going hungry and won't anytime soon but the profits even though things have gone up profits wise so has costs to run an NFL organization.

$35 million on a new practice facility was outta pocket with no municipal relief, developer padding, community kick-back?

... don't forget, Green Bay has the smallest market (I think) and doesn't get some of the extra "help" other municipalities can provide ...

besides, we're still talking tens of millions profit net ... and we're talking annually ... which is 15+% less than next year (which can be credited towards)

.. the moneys bigger than you think

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$35 million on a new practice facility was outta pocket with no municipal relief, developer padding, community kick-back?

... don't forget, Green Bay has the smallest market (I think) and doesn't get some of the extra "help" other municipalities can provide ...

besides, we're still talking tens of millions profit net ... and we're talking annually ... which is 15+% less than next year (which can be credited towards)

.. the moneys bigger than you think

That $35 million was entirely out of pocket. The only thing the city has actually helped with was the new Stadium. The Broncos don't have the richest owner in the league by far so money is actually a concern. They don't have as much free flowing cash as that of Kraft and the Patriots. They actually do have to operate under a budget which has helped them honestly to keep the Cap under control every year.

As for the profits well yeah of course they are still netting a nice profit every year. I mean these guys spent millions (if bought over say 10-15 years ago) or billions to have the rights to these teams and call themselves owners. They are billionaires for a reason as they know a good investment when they see one. I'm not going to get mad at the owners for making millions off something they have invested in. I mean when I buy stock I don't do it for nothing. I am putting my money on the line for the hopes of getting some kind of return. They spend big money in the hopes of making big money. It is why the team is willing to spend $35 million on a new facility in the hopes of that investment paying out.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That also doesn't include GM's salaries, coaches salaries, travel expenses, food, advertising, office staff, signing bonuses which large portions are given out ahead of time in a contract. So say you have a guy that signs a 65 million dollar deal for 7 years, and gets 35 million guaranteed, with 20 million coming immediately as the signing bonus. That 20 million is spread out over the cap over the 7 years, but comes out of the bank immediately from the owner. So that is less money to work with this year even though that will be recouped over those 7 years through the salary cap.

There are a lot more expenses than what people are giving owners credit for. However, you then add on merchandise, ticket sales, team owned concessions, naming rights, parking, etc. The owners are making bucks. No one feels sorry for them, but on the other hand, I understand and accept their role in this. They had to have the damn 1.4 billion the Bills sold for to even get the franchise. Why should the owners not be allowed to capitalize on this business? Was anyone crucifying Bill Gates for making billions of dollars off his business? How about Warren Buffett? These are business people, that bought businesses to make money. Not sure what the issue is. If your jealous of the owners and all the money they make, then go buy yourself an NFL franchise! Can't afford one? So sad sucker. Business is business, plain and simple.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That also doesn't include GM's salaries, coaches salaries, travel expenses, food, advertising, office staff, signing bonuses which large portions are given out ahead of time in a contract. So say you have a guy that signs a 65 million dollar deal for 7 years, and gets 35 million guaranteed, with 20 million coming immediately as the signing bonus. That 20 million is spread out over the cap over the 7 years, but comes out of the bank immediately from the owner. So that is less money to work with this year even though that will be recouped over those 7 years through the salary cap.

There are a lot more expenses than what people are giving owners credit for. However, you then add on merchandise, ticket sales, team owned concessions, naming rights, parking, etc. The owners are making bucks. No one feels sorry for them, but on the other hand, I understand and accept their role in this. They had to have the damn 1.4 billion the Bills sold for to even get the franchise. Why should the owners not be allowed to capitalize on this business? Was anyone crucifying Bill Gates for making billions of dollars off his business? How about Warren Buffett? These are business people, that bought businesses to make money. Not sure what the issue is. If your jealous of the owners and all the money they make, then go buy yourself an NFL franchise! Can't afford one? So sad sucker. Business is business, plain and simple.

Exactly! These guys don't buy these teams out of the goodness of their heart to then spend every penny that is brought in on the team. They are still in this to make money. The NFL has shown to be a very profitable business so their investment has been worth it. I definitely don't feel sorry for these owners but I also am not mad that they are making money. These guys are billionaires for a reason. They know business better than us Joe Smoes on a message board. The players play because they love football but also because it makes them some nice money. Why can't the owners love football but also be in it to make some nice money?

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That $35 million was entirely out of pocket. The only thing the city has actually helped with was the new Stadium. The Broncos don't have the richest owner in the league by far so money is actually a concern. They don't have as much free flowing cash as that of Kraft and the Patriots. They actually do have to operate under a budget which has helped them honestly to keep the Cap under control every year.

As for the profits well yeah of course they are still netting a nice profit every year. I mean these guys spent millions (if bought over say 10-15 years ago) or billions to have the rights to these teams and call themselves owners. They are billionaires for a reason as they know a good investment when they see one. I'm not going to get mad at the owners for making millions off something they have invested in. I mean when I buy stock I don't do it for nothing. I am putting my money on the line for the hopes of getting some kind of return. They spend big money in the hopes of making big money. It is why the team is willing to spend $35 million on a new facility in the hopes of that investment paying out.

I'm not mad at someone capitalizing on investments ... I'm not going to stand back and be amazed by them either. The money in all entertainment has gotten crazy over the years. Trump said he made more money on TV than any of his real estate dealings.

And that's what these owners are ... circus owners — nothing more ... and good luck to them, but I'm not interested in hearing about their personal fortitude ...

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! These guys don't buy these teams out of the goodness of their heart to then spend every penny that is brought in on the team. They are still in this to make money. The NFL has shown to be a very profitable business so their investment has been worth it. I definitely don't feel sorry for these owners but I also am not mad that they are making money. These guys are billionaires for a reason. They know business better than us Joe Smoes on a message board. The players play because they love football but also because it makes them some nice money. Why can't the owners love football but also be in it to make some nice money?

We're on the same page ... yeah

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not mad at someone capitalizing on investments ... I'm not going to stand back and be amazed by them either. The money in all entertainment has gotten crazy over the years. Trump said he made more money on TV than any of his real estate dealings.

And that's what these owners are ... circus owners — nothing more ... and good luck to them, but I'm not interested in hearing about their personal fortitude ...

I guess then I am just missing the point of the OP? Were you just trying to show that the NFL owners are making money?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm conservative politically mostly, but I still think the cities these teams are in should steal the teams from the owners and isolate them somehow within the government. The public money they got for stadiums is and was a fucking joke. The reasoning is embarrassing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm conservative politically mostly, but I still think the cities these teams are in should steal the teams from the owners and isolate them somehow within the government. The public money they got for stadiums is and was a fucking joke. The reasoning is embarrassing.

Honestly I have no problem with it. It has to be voted on by the city so obviously then the city supports the decision. Also have to remember that an NFL team brings in some of the best business of the year for businesses around the city. So it is a give and take type relationship between city and team. Both benefit from being connected.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess then I am just missing the point of the OP? Were you just trying to show that the NFL owners are making money?

The Packer annual report story was hours ago. Its the only concrete paper of how well the NFL is doing. This is a timely event.

The big business guy versus the Joe Schmoe is dramatically exemplified by the NFL team owner and the NFL player ... business savy vs raw talent ... it's a great story with qualities and problems on both sides.

In other words, an antithesis to this thread wold be "NFL players getting faster, stronger, better" — which we know is also true, but can't prove as directly as the Green Bay Packer Annual report.

... just sayin

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the issue here? Billionaires make hundreds of millions of dollars on their investments? You don't say?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packer annual report story was hours ago. Its the only concrete paper of how well the NFL is doing. This is a timely event.

The big business guy versus the Joe Schmoe is dramatically exemplified by the NFL team owner and the NFL player ... business savy vs raw talent ... it's a great story with qualities and problems on both sides.

In other words, an antithesis to this thread wold be "NFL players getting faster, stronger, better" — which we know is also true, but can't prove as directly as the Green Bay Packer Annual report.

... just sayin

I got yah. Thanks for the clarification.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the issue here? Billionaires make hundreds of millions of dollars on their investments? You don't say?

the issue here is the American entertainment industry is doing a shitload better than its manufacturing sector ... now go back to sleep ...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I have no problem with it. It has to be voted on by the city so obviously then the city supports the decision. Also have to remember that an NFL team brings in some of the best business of the year for businesses around the city. So it is a give and take type relationship between city and team. Both benefit from being connected.

I want them operated as non profits. All of them. No money lost, all money used to improve fan experience (including transportation to and from) and the game. Currently nearly all the profits leave the local markets. They take money in from locals and don't put it all back into the local area. Money is lost, not created.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want them operated as non profits. All of them. No money lost, all money used to improve fan experience (including transportation to and from) and the game. Currently nearly all the profits leave the local markets. They take money in from locals and don't put it all back into the local area. Money is lost, not created.

A great idea in an ideal society ... but this is reality, and it's also a great example of American capitalism. Run as a nonprofit, do you think the managers would have the influence or greasing-the-palm abilities that an owner would have? Our society is democratic and that means one individual or group with a cause can slow any system run on checks and balances (red tape), like a governing agency or board.

For example, the NFL is about to enter an era of fighting for survival what with the soccer moms griping about the perils of concussions and what a bad influence the NFL is on little boys and girls ... blah blah blah ... the problem is, they have a legitimate gripe. A nonprofit would bend like a twig under any political or societal pressure.

What a lot of people dont remember in New England was Robert Kraft threatened to move the Patriots to Hartford CT to get his way on a deal with the state of Massachusetts. Foxborough was giving him crap and Boston would never have that type of franchise downtown (those hockey fans at least are inside). So he said he'd move to Connecticut (can you believe that?). Hartford spent big bucks doing the specs while Kraft never has intentions of going to Hartford but the ploy worked and he got his way back in Foxborough. A non-profit wouldnt have stood a chance with Massachusetts "politics." Can you imagine a nonprofit running a franchise in LA?

I'm no supporter of runaway capitalism, and I hate that folks are content with "trickle-down" economics, but capitalism with some level of virtue (like pleasing the fans with ... say... something like Patriot Place) is cool ...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great idea in an ideal society ... but this is reality, and it's also a great example of American capitalism. Run as a nonprofit, do you think the managers would have the influence or greasing-the-palm abilities that an owner would have? Our society is democratic and that means one individual or group with a cause can slow any system run on checks and balances (red tape), like a governing agency or board.

For example, the NFL is about to enter an era of fighting for survival what with the soccer moms griping about the perils of concussions and what a bad influence the NFL is on little boys and girls ... blah blah blah ... the problem is, they have a legitimate gripe. A nonprofit would bend like a twig under any political or societal pressure.

What a lot of people dont remember in New England was Robert Kraft threatened to move the Patriots to Hartford CT to get his way on a deal with the state of Massachusetts. Foxborough was giving him crap and Boston would never have that type of franchise downtown (those hockey fans at least are inside). So he said he'd move to Connecticut (can you believe that?). Hartford spent big bucks doing the specs while Kraft never has intentions of going to Hartford but the ploy worked and he got his way back in Foxborough. A non-profit wouldnt have stood a chance with Massachusetts "politics." Can you imagine a nonprofit running a franchise in LA?

I'm no supporter of runaway capitalism, and I hate that folks are content with "trickle-down" economics, but capitalism with some level of virtue (like pleasing the fans with ... say... something like Patriot Place) is cool ...

I understand. But that's why I originally said to isolate them somehow within the government. I'm not sure how exactly that would be but one of the non profit categories would seemingly be close.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. But that's why I originally said to isolate them somehow within the government. I'm not sure how exactly that would be but one of the non profit categories would seemingly be close.

We can't even consider such a scenario with so much of a money maker ... besides, the skimming would just kill the smaller markets

... but I'll vote for ya if you're runnin