• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meal kits. Who orders these and why? Explain.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get meal kits, where the ingredients for an integrated meal are prepacked and delivered to you, and then you put the components together.

Allegedly, the kits are designed by top rated chefs and nutritionists, and the ingredients are "fresh", "organic", etc.

From what I've seen so far, meal plans are about $12 per meal serving for a party of 2, but its a subscription so they keep sending you stuff.

What's wrong with researching a recipe, going out and buying the freshest ingredients you are able to inspect and preparing the meal?

I don't get the expense and laziness of relying on a meal kit. If you are that busy you don't have time to cook anyway, so order take out.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exception(s): I can see carrying a lot of those military type Meals Ready to Eat for camping, hunting and hiking trips.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, $6 / serving is cheaper than takeout.

I have got a couple of the frozen ones from the grocery store before, because it looked good, and I thought it would be something nice to have available in the freezer.

I do have friends that have got them before. I would probably rather just cook everything, but they do make it incredibly easy to make a fairly good meal. Some might be subscription based, but they all aren't.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seems a little ridiculous to me. But then again, i enjoy cooking, and i'm good at it, sooo i dunno

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The inability to choose your own fresh ingredients is a huge downside.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are lazy.... These corporations know people will overpay to feel like they are actually accomplishing something.... As a Chef myself, it's a brilliant idea and wish I had thought of it :suds:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as others have stated. People will pay anything for convenience now a days.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are small businesses that are offering "Pick up" meals for people who work and really don't want to spend the time cooking and cleaning up. They're becoming extremely popular and very profitable. Most offer two dinner meals for pick up. Generally they offer Monday through Thursday because people tend to dine out on Friday.

From what I've seen (not tried) the meals are pretty much home made and the prices vary depending on the meal. The menu items include everything from Chicken Cordon Bleu and Bone inBaked Chicken to Beef Tenderloin with baked potato. Pasta dishes seem to do extremely well. Lasagna and Baked PenneI have tasted and both had burger and were quite good. Depending on the meal they range from about $7 to$20 per serving but the servings are large and generally one person has a leftover lunch the next day.

A local one offers Sunday "snacks" for watching football or sports.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get meal kits, where the ingredients for an integrated meal are prepacked and delivered to you, and then you put the components together.

Allegedly, the kits are designed by top rated chefs and nutritionists, and the ingredients are "fresh", "organic", etc.

From what I've seen so far, meal plans are about $12 per meal serving for a party of 2, but its a subscription so they keep sending you stuff.

What's wrong with researching a recipe, going out and buying the freshest ingredients you are able to inspect and preparing the meal?

I don't get the expense and laziness of relying on a meal kit. If you are that busy you don't have time to cook anyway, so order take out.

I can see two income households, both with long commutes being interested in that or something like that, but I would give the concept a thumbs down for us.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know how to cook, it is cheaper and better if you make it yourself. However, I know a lot of people didn't receive the same upbringing I did (I was required to cook 1 meal for the family a week from age 10 on), so they didn't learn how to cook.

If these meal kits help teach people this vital life skill, cool.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a coupon to try hello fresh for free from a friend and continued it for a couple months. The idea was to have more home cooked meals, as we were eating fast food too often, along with hopefully expanding to something different and learn some new techniques. We stopped it before the holidays and just haven't really felt the need to start back. Still refer back to some of the recipes and techniques when cooking now, but since our kids weren't really eating the full recipes, it wasn't worth it for just the wife and I when I had to make the kids food too.