• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McLouth to the Nats....

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said you couldn't have this opinion. But, what do you want the Orioles to do? Spend money just to spend money? Some of these deals are crazy, IMO. Beltran @ 15 million per year. I'll pass on that. He's going to be 37 in April. Ellsbury's contract is ridiculous also. Did you want to sign Nate McClouth to the contract that he got? Outside of stolen bases, Steve Pearce could probably be more productive in left field.

I get frustrated to when all the O's do is make minor deals. But, I've come to the realization that they are not going to be big spenders in the free agent market. I would love to see Angelo's open his wallet and give Choo a big contract. Is that going to happen? I seriously doubt it. IMO, all we can hope for is the O's can build up the farm system and build like the Rays do.

I also do feel that this ownership wants to win. He's just not going about it the way we want him to by opening up his wallet in free agency. But, he did give extensions to Roberts, Markakis and Jones. Although, Roberts has been injured the last few years and Markakis didn't turn out to be the player people thought he would be, they were important signings at the time. If the O's give Davis an extension does that mean Angelos still doesn't care about winning.

He's got to give out that extension before you can say he cares about winning. Something he has yet to do. Kind of like the Wieters extension they talked about a long time ago who is now on the trading block. Face it, our owner wants to maintain the same payroll every year even though payrolls are going up. He is cheap.

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't think people realize how much McLouth is going to be missed. He was our lone speed option on the team and only had 30 sb because Buck hates to run. He would have had much more if he was let loose. Not to mention the fact that he is one of the few players on this team with some plate discipline. His OBP was 2nd on the team among starters and he wasn't clogging up the basepaths once he got on like Nick and Davis. I wouldn't have paid him that contract but if the O's were a little proactive, they might have been able to sign him ahead of time to a cheaper deal. Now we are stuck with the always injured Reimold and UUUU, who is completely unproven. Consider LF to be an additional hole next year.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got to give out that extension before you can say he cares about winning. Something he has yet to do. Kind of like the Wieters extension they talked about a long time ago who is now on the trading block. Face it, our owner wants to maintain the same payroll every year even though payrolls are going up. He is cheap.
He does have to give Davis a contract extension first, but you failed to mention the extensions he gave to Roberts, Markakis and Jones. I'm not saying Angelo's is my ideal owner. Of course I would rather have an owner willing to spend money. But, look at the Blue Jays and Amgels and you can see spending money doesn't always work out for you.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have to give Davis a contract extension first, but you failed to mention the extensions he gave to Roberts, Markakis and Jones. I'm not saying Angelo's is my ideal owner. Of course I would rather have an owner willing to spend money. But, look at the Blue Jays and Amgels and you can see spending money doesn't always work out for you.
And look at the Marlins, Orioles, Astros, Padres, Rockies & Twins and you see that NOT spending money doesn't work out for you more often than spending it does.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And look at the Marlins, Orioles, Astros, Padres, Rockies & Twins and you see that NOT spending money doesn't work out for you more often than spending it does.

The Marlins spent money two years ago and that didn't work out. The Twins have been in the playoffs 6 out of the last 12 years. I would say that's pretty successful for a team that doesn't spend a lot. The Astros are building through the minors. They have one of the top minor league systems in the league.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for the record, 6 out of 10 playoff teams spent less than the Orioles last year.