• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Guillotine

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double whammy - sorry, SP.
My own fault. I fell asleep on the couch for waivers this week and forgot to circle back. By Saturday night/sunday morning I did the best I could with what was left. Also swear I swapped out prater. I changed everything else. Not that it made the slightest difference

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 of the 5 teams eliminated had over $900 of FAAB which makes sense, if your sitting on your FAAB likely your not improving your roster much and in a league that started with 19 team ever team could use improvement.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 of the 5 teams eliminated had over $900 of FAAB which makes sense, if your sitting on your FAAB likely your not improving your roster much and in a league that started with 19 team ever team could use improvement.

we had a debate about this earlier in this thread... IMO there are 2 strategies

1. use up your money- best chances to survive the early rounds, but if you make it past top 10 you will have a huge disadvantage... but of course you made it to the top 10... so you are alive...

2. dont spend any money- early rounds the math is always in your advantage to survive- but of course you dont have as good of a chance... BUT if you do make it top 10, you will have a huge advantage going further...

the middle ground strategy IMO is the weakest, because you never got the stud to help you survive the early rounds, and you dont have as much money as others in the later rounds...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. use up your money- best chances to survive the early rounds, but if you make it past top 10 you will have a huge disadvantage... but of course you made it to the top 10... so you are alive...

2. dont spend any money- early rounds the math is always in your advantage to survive- but of course you dont have as good of a chance... BUT if you do make it top 10, you will have a huge advantage going further...

the middle ground strategy IMO is the weakest, because you never got the stud to help you survive the early rounds, and you dont have as much money as others in the later rounds...
Of course having a bankroll AND surviving is a beautiful combo. I just was noting that NOT using your FAAB has been costly thus far looking at the teams eliminated. TBH my plan going in was to try not to spend, but injuries forced my hand. So now I'm rooting for teams with lots of FAAB to get eliminated Mr. $1000 in FAAB left. :nod:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course having a bankroll AND surviving is a beautiful combo. I just was noting that NOT using your FAAB has been costly thus far looking at the teams eliminated. TBH my plan going in was to try not to spend, but injuries forced my hand. So now I'm rooting for teams with lots of FAAB to get eliminated Mr. $1000 in FAAB left. :nod:

its a gamble not to spend... its worked out well for me... but i also was one of the rare people that liked their draft... also helps that i havent been hit by major injuries... my big injury was at QB, and even in a 19 team league you can find a qb on waivers...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a gamble not to spend... its worked out well for me... but i also was one of the rare people that liked their draft... also helps that i havent been hit by major injuries... my big injury was at QB, and even in a 19 team league you can find a qb on waivers...
As far as QB go, I feel you can find one that is decent to good from a eliminated team without paying much vs RBs or WRs as most teams have a QB they are OK with and are not using their FAAB on QB.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree.

Middle ground can absolutely work.

Just have to be smart about who you spend on and when.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even in a 19 team league you can find a qb on waivers...

As far as QB go, I feel you can find one that is decent to good from a eliminated team without paying much

these things are true, but i think there's a bit more risk involved with that strategy in this format compared to others where QBs are plentiful. Since you're picking from the teams that finished last, there's a good chance the QB not scoring was part of the reason they got axed. And now bye weeks are here, so a lot more teams are likely to carry a QB2 even if it's just for one week.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

Everything can work. With the right execution. Just like in everyother league.

I’m just talking about the strategy itself. Middle ground is the weakest strategy because you never get the stud and then when the studs get cheaper you still don’t have enough for them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m just talking about the strategy itself. Middle ground is the weakest strategy because you never get the stud and then when the studs get cheaper you still don’t have enough for them.
Sitting on your FAAB is the riskiest option judging by those teams eliminated, you basically need to get lucky with injuries to survive with that route, but if you do get lucky in that regard might as well take advantage I guess.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except that if the remaining opponents, or most of them, are following either extreme you can put together a much better roster in the middle weeks than they can.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ended up leaving $943 of my FAAB on the table.

Bid over $500 and $300 a couple of times but got beaten out by the high rollers and was stuck rooting through the trash.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ended up leaving $943 of my FAAB on the table.

Bid over $500 and $300 a couple of times but got beaten out by the high rollers and was stuck rooting through the trash.

Me looking at my current roster...

Trash Can GIF by beckadoodles

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if lends to Harold's argument, i started a guillotine league with my buddies, and so far it looks like 4 of the 5 teams that were eliminated spent $0.

One owner who narrowly missed the axe told me it wouldve haunted him to be eliminated with a full budget.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the owner that did spend money bought Bijan so looks like Bijan's destruction has been severe.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

I have gone middle ground. My biggest pick up was a QB- Lamar. He has made a difference. I have a bit of a bye week problem week 14. but plenty of time to correct that.
My middle ground strategy also means that I have come up short on a number of bids.
My draft was decent as well

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gone middle ground. My biggest pick up was a QB- Lamar. He has made a difference. I have a bit of a bye week problem week 14. but plenty of time to correct that.
My middle ground strategy also means that I have come up short on a number of bids.
My draft was decent as well

yea... its interesting.... in a regular league, we always say a draft doesnt win a league... it can only lose it... but in these, i think the draft is even more important... and a lot of luck.... i have been lucky this season so far with injuries...