• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL B-League(Barbarians at the Gate)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before we even look at oblivion, do we even have any candidates interested in joining that are regular posters around here?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before we even look at oblivion, do we even have any candidates interested in joining that are regular posters around here?
I guess I considered discussion of viable candidates part of the oblivion topic. Probably should have clarified that.

But to the point, there's Stomp, and Brees..possibly a few others. .but I'm really of the opinion there's no way anyone votes out Foot or Micro...WillWhite and/or Scape would have to come out of retirement to make it a discussion imho

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, I had no clue I was even in the bottom two. :sad2:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my last year in the league boys.

Making my way to the A league

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked back at last season. Are the "oblivion" positions based on power rankings? B/c I finished 6-8(and 2nd in my division), and while not great, I wasn't in the bottom two based on record alone.

But I'm glad I am being backed so hard by yous guyse. If it comes to it, I suppose I have none to blame but myself....and my shitty fantasy players. ;)

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I considered discussion of viable candidates part of the oblivion topic. Probably should have clarified that.

But to the point, there's Stomp, and Brees..possibly a few others. .but I'm really of the opinion there's no way anyone votes out Foot or Micro...WillWhite and/or Scape would have to come out of retirement to make it a discussion imho

in efforts of keeping oblivion from falling into oblivion, I think @Stomp would be perfect to replace either of them.
He's on here frequently, posting info and his own thoughts/projections.

There is always 1 easy way to ensure you don't get knocked out of the league - don't end up in last place.
Now I know someone has to take last, but that's life. Suck it up and commit to getting back in the following year.

We all signed up for MBBRL and know the consequences of non-performance. The beauty of relegation means that you have to perform to keep playing the game.

I love @The Foot, but he was absent from the draft last year. That should be a qualifier to revoke any "golden parachute" that was earned in previous years' involvement in the MBBRL. I know real life is more important than fantasy football and that shit comes up/happens, but being an active participant is part of being in an MBBRL fantasy league.

Please say something if I'm way off base here, just thought the idea of relegation/oblivion was to mix up the league and get fresh blood in, if they were active on the boards and interested.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in efforts of keeping oblivion from falling into oblivion, I think @Stomp would be perfect to replace either of them.
He's on here frequently, posting info and his own thoughts/projections.

There is always 1 easy way to ensure you don't get knocked out of the league - don't end up in last place.
Now I know someone has to take last, but that's life. Suck it up and commit to getting back in the following year.

We all signed up for MBBRL and know the consequences of non-performance. The beauty of relegation means that you have to perform to keep playing the game.

I love @The Foot, but he was absent from the draft last year. That should be a qualifier to revoke any "golden parachute" that was earned in previous years' involvement in the MBBRL. I know real life is more important than fantasy football and that shit comes up/happens, but being an active participant is part of being in an MBBRL fantasy league.

Please say something if I'm way off base here, just thought the idea of relegation/oblivion was to mix up the league and get fresh blood in, if they were active on the boards and interested.
You're Not off base at all, all valid points, and why the discussion still needs to be had, regardless of what it looks like at first glance.

As to Stomp. .he was in at one point, and pulled himself out, throwing a slight hitch into everything that offseason..so there's that too.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked back at last season. Are the "oblivion" positions based on power rankings? B/c I finished 6-8(and 2nd in my division), and while not great, I wasn't in the bottom two based on record alone.

But I'm glad I am being backed so hard by yous guyse. If it comes to it, I suppose I have none to blame but myself....and my shitty fantasy players. ;)
I guess we need to verify and maybe dig up the last official weekly reviews and such. Was just going off what was mentioned. But yes, it is power ranking based

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys for the support. Just for the record, I would love to still be in this league but I would completely understand if I was voted off and would not expect any special treatment nor have any hard feelings if you guys felt there is a better candidate than me. I honestly almost want to pull myself out of the league because I know most of you are just gonna vote me in and I honestly don't want that if there is a better guy than me.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just went back and found the results thread. By my reckoning Foot and I had the worst records, but Micro and Foot had the lowest power. IDK how Bandit does his power, so his might have been different than mine.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not like oblivion at all
if we toss some one because they are not up to MBBRL standards that is one thing

but to be banished because you had a bad year injuries bad luck etc... yet you were fully invested and always were and always will be well .....

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went back and found the results thread. By my reckoning Foot and I had the worst records, but Micro and Foot had the lowest power. IDK how Bandit does his power, so his might have been different than mine.
Record, total points, and all-play record are all taken into account, assigned a 1-12 value, and averaged into a ranking. A good record but low total points and bad all play record gives you a low power ranking. Negates the affects of scheduling when trying to get an overall view of the league

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not like oblivion at all
if we toss some one because they are not up to MBBRL standards that is one thing

but to be banished because you had a bad year injuries bad luck etc... yet you were fully invested and always were and always will be well .....
That's why it's a nomination and voting process, not just an automatic boot. We want the possibility of new blood every year, but also the possibility to overlook a situation like you just described

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record, total points, and all-play record are all taken into account, assigned a 1-12 value, and averaged into a ranking. A good record but low total points and bad all play record gives you a low power ranking. Negates the affects of scheduling when trying to get an overall view of the league

I just do a running total of how many teams you would have beat that week.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do a running total of how many teams you would have beat that week.
That's the all play record, and that alone helps, but adding the total points helps further, and adding the actual record from the standings, maintains the significance of the season itself

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the final, "official" word from the end of last season. ..turns out Micro saved himself in the final week of the season, OBX is up for oblivion, by half a point. .

Week 14 Recap

Playoffs, you're talking about playoffs? Alright our regular season is now officially done and in the Keepers, the more things change, the more they stay the same. With Fuzzy's win over Joe last week, he locked up the division title in the Athos division, but Joe was able to pull out enough breakdown games to stay ahead of Chef and hold on to the wild card spot. Tlance ended up winning the Porthos division by three games even though he lost to Chef. And in the Aramis division, Ram came through with a hard fought 89-69 victory over Milk to claim the division title. So that means the exact same four playoff teams from last year repeated this year with Tlance, Ram, Fuzzy, and Joe all making the playoffs for the 2nd straight year, which really is an impressive accomplishment with this group. The only difference being that last year Joe won the division and Fuzzy was the wild card and they swapped places this year. Tlance will play against Joe and Fuzzy will play against Ram. Overall, Fuzzy destroyed the points total and the breakdown records from last year, and the Keepers scored 16,009 points this year compared to 16,024 last year. Now that is some consistency. On the flip side of things, the Barbarians scored 507 less points this year (15,396 - 15,889) and for the season the Keepers ended up severely beating down the Barbarians by 613 points (16,009 - 15,396). Now that is an ass whooping.

On the Barbarians side of things last week Face won his game and the Visogoths division, locked up the #1 seed, the breakdown title, and the most points which means if he wins the Super Bowl, only one team will move up from the Barbarians. It was looking like nobody else that needed to win was going to until Monkey pulled out some Lamar Miller magic on Monday night to win by a point and win the Ostrogoths division since Cheesehead lost his game. Cheesehead did hold on to the wild card though because Smitty's team fell apart last week. And in the Huns division Steelers lost his game but won the division awhile ago. That means Face will match up against Cheesehead and Monkey will play Steelers this week. Face ended up a big step above everybody else in the Barbarians outscoring the next closest team (Cheesehead) by 159 points and winning the breakdown title by 15 games.

So with that being said, let me introduce you to your hard luck losers. Finishing 2nd in points and 2nd in breakdown and 3rd in the power rankings (which is really hard to do with a losing record) being rewarded with a 6-8 record is Bandit. Finishing 6th in points and 6th in breakdown and finishing with a 5-9 record is TKO. Finishing with the highest scoring week and doing everything he could but coming up just short of the playoffs is Chef. He can actually blame Bandit, because if the tiebreakers were left the way they were last year it would have gone to points instead of breakdown and Chef outscored Joe by 2, but I had to open my big mouth to get it changed to breakdown record this year. Sorry Chef I promise I didn't foresee this happening to you.

On the Barbarians side of things Smitty was the only real hard luck loser, but he was in it until the last week finishing 3rd in breakdown and tying for 5th in points, but the four playoff teams were the top 4 in the power rankings, which is how it should be.

In the MBBRL wide breakdown here is your top five:

Fuzzy 222-97-3 (division winner and #1 seed)
Face 216-100-6 (division winner and #1 seed)
Bandit 207-110-5 (Big fat loser with a 6-8 record)
Tlance 193-124-5 (division winner and #2 seed)
Joe 191-130-1 (wild card winner and #4 seed)

The Keepers had 83 more breakdown wins than the Barbarians. (And the ass kicking continues)

In points, there were 6 Keepers with over 1380 points and there was only one Barbarian with over 1350. In points against TKO won the title of worst fantasy defense giving up 1414 points with Bandit right behind him giving up 1410. On the flip side of things Monkey only gave up 1161 freaking points this year (82.92 points a week) followed by Milk with 1213 points.

Okay now for the fun part. In the race for relegation, things pretty much stayed exactly the same, even though Wil laid out some scenarios that could have changed things. Barilko and Sam just didn't do enough even if Milk did leave the door open for them. Barilko stayed at the bottom of the rankings and will go back to the Barbarians side of things. Sam will go down also unless Face wins the Super Bowl. Face has a fan in Sammy.

Barilko 5 power ranking
Sam 6.5 power ranking
Milk 12.5 power ranking

As stated in a previous post, Face locked up the golden ticket to the A league with a resounding 11-0 breakdown record last week to finish 15 games ahead of Cheesehead. Face will be joining us in the A league next year and since he clinched the breakdown championship, the #1 seed, and the most points, if he wins the Super Bowl also, then only he will be moving up. If either Cheesehead, Steelers, or Monkey win the Super Bowl, then they will be moving up with him.

Face 106-43-5
Cheesehead 91-59-4

In the race for oblivion, Micro somehow climbed out of the doldrums and pulled out a miracle to get out of the bottom two and send OBX there to join Foot who has had a "Foot"hold on the bottom for many weeks.

Foot 3 power ranking
OBX 8 power ranking
Micro 8.5 power ranking

Good luck to all the playoff teams and I plan on doing a matchup breakdown for each of your games if I have time.

View attachment 65512

And in case you guys would like to compare this year to last year:

View attachment 65513

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
time to flirt with creating a 3rd tier to our current system?
I think the overall interest on the hoop might be enough to generate 12 owners each year, especially if we already have 3-4 guys in mind that we are debating right now, we'd just need to drum up 10 more owners.

Highlighting that potentially 4 teams can flip divisions in any one given season (is that correct or is it potentially 6 in a perfect scenario?)

Keepers of the Flame
Barbarians at the Gate
Even More Barbarians at the Gate

might as well be as inclusive as possible - the more the divisions the better, imo. But we'd definitely need more hands on deck to manage the leagues themselves, which is an entirely different convo that would need to be had before a 3rd tier gets the green light

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
time to flirt with creating a 3rd tier to our current system?
I think the overall interest on the hoop might be enough to generate 12 owners each year, especially if we already have 3-4 guys in mind that we are debating right now, we'd just need to drum up 10 more owners.

Highlighting that potentially 4 teams can flip divisions in any one given season (is that correct or is it potentially 6 in a perfect scenario?)

Keepers of the Flame
Barbarians at the Gate
Even More Barbarians at the Gate

might as well be as inclusive as possible - the more the divisions the better, imo. But we'd definitely need more hands on deck to manage the leagues themselves, which is an entirely different convo that would need to be had before a 3rd tier gets the green light
I dunno. .last year when discussing the oblivion options, there was only 2-3 options, and crickets as to anyone else. I personally haven't seen any names show up around here very often. .I think going for 10 more would be futile