• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Max, Kershaw & JV

Which of the following has had the best career so far?

• Max Scherzer

• Clayton Kershaw

• Justin Verlander

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Use 2011 3 times( MVP, CY, and Triple Crown)

Scherzer is a 3 time CY, compared to verlander only having one... And Scherzer has that consecutive season Bonus... He has 6 consecutive GREAT seasons...

But lets take away the consecutive bonus... and just compare Verlander to Scherzer(as Kershaw's regular season is not even debatable, it is the best)

Scherzer has 5 seasons with over 200 innings and under a 3.00 ERA
Verlander Has ONLY 3 seasons over 200 innings and under a 3.00 ERA

Scherzer has 3 CY
Verlander has ONLY 1(sure he has an MVP too, but that was the same season, cant count same season twice)

Scherzer has 2 20 or more win seasons
Verlander has only 1

Verlander has pitched for 3 more seasons, and only has 1 more AS game and One More 200+ SO season

Scherzer has a 300 SO season..

Scherzer: 11 years, 159-82, 3.22 ERA, 2449 Ks, 4-5 playoff record, 3x Cy Young winner, 6x all-star

Kershaw: 11 years, 153-69, 2.39 ERA, 2275 Ks, 9-10 playoff record, 3x Cy Young winner, 7x all-star, 2014 MVP, Triple Crown winner, MLB Player of the Year

Verlander: 14 years, 204-123, 3.39 ERA, 2706 Ks, 13-7 playoff record, Cy Young winner, 7x all-star, 2011 MVP, Triple Crown winner, MLB Player of the Year, 2006 Rookie of the Year, 2017 ALCS MVP, 2017 World Series Champion

Scherzer doesn't even beat Kershaw in my opinion so Scherzer isn't even the 2nd option for me. Lots more upside to Verlander in the playoffs than Kershaw and that's what sets them apart for me.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you say you don't call Verlander a big game pitcher, but you knock Kershaw for not being one...

Ok, what's the problem with that?

Verlander isn't a big game pitcher, but Kershaw is further from being one than Verlander is.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Verlander isn't a big game pitcher, but Kershaw is further from being one than Verlander is.

huge problem... if 2 players are not great at something how can you make your decision based on that something...

Especially when one is significantly better everywhere else

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander gets way too much love IMO... He is seen to be a big time pitcher, which is a joke since he has yet to win a WS game, and has an ERA abover 4.00 in the WS...

How can someone be considered a big time pitcher when he has not been good in the most important games of his career??
He's been elite in winner-take-all and/or elimination postseason games. Those could easily be considered more important than a Game 1 or 2 of the World Series.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huge problem... if 2 players are not great at something how can you make your decision based on that something...

Especially when one is significantly better everywhere else

Not a huge problem because I've already said how I can make my decision.

Verlander is better than Kershaw in the playoffs. They are both not elite playoff pitchers, but one is significantly better than the other. I'd take a pitcher that's okay in the regular season as long as he can perform in the postseason. Kershaw is much better in the regular season but flops in the postseason. That ERA of Kershaw's doesn't transpose over to the playoffs very well and that's a huge red flag for me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge problem because I've already said how I can make my decision.

Verlander is better than Kershaw in the playoffs. They are both not elite playoff pitchers, but one is significantly better than the other. I'd take a pitcher that's okay in the regular season as long as he can perform in the postseason. Kershaw is much better in the regular season but flops in the postseason. That ERA of Kershaw's doesn't transpose over to the playoffs very well and that's a huge red flag for me.

so regular season doesn't matter at all?? that's a joke...

Curt schilling is the best pitcher of all time then...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been elite in winner-take-all and/or elimination postseason games. Those could easily be considered more important than a Game 1 or 2 of the World Series.

no he hasn't... not even close...

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so regular season doesn't matter at all?? that's a joke...

Curt schilling is the best pitcher of all time then...

I didn't say it doesn't matter at all, I said it doesn't matter as much as the postseason performance of a pitcher. Regular season pitching rotation is 1-6 pitchers. Playoff rotation is usually no more than 3, sometimes 4. Less margin for error for a pitcher to be bad in the playoffs.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order: and I don't think this is even debatable(even though some have tried)

1. Kershaw
2. Scherzer

3. Verlander

Verlander is not even close to the other 2... Not sure why he constantly gets grouped in with them...

Well, in this case, he asked who had the better career.

End their careers today and line them up, including awards and postseason success/championships. Then ask the three of them which career they'd rather have, I could be wrong, but I doubt any of them would say, "well, fuck that world series ring and playoff hardward, give me that shiny ERA+."

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander gets way too much love IMO... He is seen to be a big time pitcher, which is a joke since he has yet to win a WS game, and has an ERA abover 4.00 in the WS...

How can someone be considered a big time pitcher when he has not been good in the most important games of his career??

I don't disagree with that, and the AL Central pages are rife with posts from me shitting on his postseason resume, but if their careers ended today and you asked me if I could be a pitcher, which career would I want, I'm taking Verlander's.

Plus, he's put his dick between Kate Upton's tiddies. That's a mic drop, son.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with that, and the AL Central pages are rife with posts from me shitting on his postseason resume, but if their careers ended today and you asked me if I could be a pitcher, which career would I want, I'm taking Verlander's.

Plus, he's put his dick between Kate Upton's tiddies. That's a mic drop, son.

Definitely good point about kate upton...

But if the only reason Verlander is better is because he won a WS, then isn't that saying Andy Pettite is better than Randy Johnson??

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Verlander has all of one World Series championship that could have EASILY have been a Kershaw championship.

I agree, but the fact is, he doesn't.

Grandma could have easily had balls and been called grandpa, but she didn't.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely good point about kate upton...

But if the only reason Verlander is better is because he won a WS, then isn't that saying Andy Pettite is better than Randy Johnson??

You're missing the fact that I'm not saying that Verlander is better. I'm saying that he, thus far, has had a better career. They're not synonymous.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the fact that I'm not saying that Verlander is better. I'm saying that he, thus far, has had a better career. They're not synonymous.

I do agree that they are not synonymous, but I don't define who has had the best career by one single season...

But I do agree that anyone would trade in their CY award for a WS win... Unless of course that CY award is needed to make the HOF...

Which for Scherzer it just might be... His longevity is not going to be good enough since he is already 34 and he didn't really pitch well or much his first few seasons... But a 3 time CY(with hopes to win at least one more in his career), kind of hard to not let him in...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this is semantics.

I think I can clear it up like this:

Verlander is not a great big game pitcher.

Kershaw is a shit big game pitcher.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So crazy.

I consider myself a Kershaw fan - I drafted him as a prospect in my keeper fantasy league and have had him since.

I fucking dislike Verlander.

Yet here I am. . .