• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matty Romo VS Joe Flacco

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's up there with Kurt Warner & Peyton Manning, & Steve Young for most spoiled QB of all time as far as receiving threats goes. With bad receivers: 7 picks in 2 games. He hasn't just been bad; he's been terrible. Flacco's receivers have been average to bad over his career.

Have you looked at their rushing numbers all year? They can't do anything but pass, and they have no receivers to throw the ball to now. Ryan did not have the greatest receivers early in his career when he was still doing well. Roddy White at one time was thought of as a bust. He was not thought of as a receiving threat early in his career. The thing a young Ryan had though was a dominate running game. If you can't run the ball you better have a dominate passing game with multiple threats which the Falcons did. After the injuries though they just have nothing. I highly doubt any QB in the league could win with that offense without White and Jones.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Roddy White at one time was thought of as a bust. He was not thought of as a receiving threat early in his career.

The same Roddy White who had 1202 yards receiving while Ryan was still at Boston College? Now you sound like an apologist.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same Roddy White who had 1202 yards receiving while Ryan was still at Boston College? Now you sound like an apologist.

That was the year before Ryan drafted. What did White's numbers look like the previous 2 years?

29 catches for 446 yards as a rookie
30 catches for 506 yards the next year

That was with Vick as the QB. He had a breakout year with Joey Harrington and Chris Redman, but it's not like he was a superstar top 10 WR's when Ryan came to the team. He had 1 good season that for all anyone knows could have been fluke. Roddy White was not Julio Jones that's for sure. Jones has been good since day 1. White struggled and took the normal 3 years to blossom. Let's not forget the Falcons were the worst team in the NFL that year White had 1202 yards receiving. They drafted Ryan and suddenly made the playoffs. They were suppose to be a horrible team for several years after what happened with Vick and Bobby Petrino. They appeared to have 0 talent on that roster and no QB until they drafted Ryan.

Just look at their career QBR. Flacco sits at 51.9 which is just barely above average while Ryan is at 70.0 which is under what they consider a top QB, but it's nearly a full 20 points above Flacco. The old RAT system is a bit kinder to Flacco but still favors Ryan at 85.6 to 91.0

I wouldn't say either is on the same level of top QB's like Peyton and Brady, but if I had to build a team around one or the other I would choose Ryan. Ryan is a bit more dynamic and capable of making plays than Flacco. Whenever Flacco makes a big play it's usually more him throwing it a mile and his receiver just making a great play. Flacco is far less likely to extend a play with his legs or avoid a sack before completing a pass. Flacco is more like a Drew Bledsoe in that if you protect him and keep the pocket clean he can be effective, but if a team can get to him he is not capable of doing much to stop it. It's a very good thing for Flacco the Ravens have kept a good line in front him, and that Ray Rice has been so effective it's kept pass rushes honest.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That was the year before Ryan drafted. What did White's numbers look like the previous 2 years?

Like a rookie / 2nd year WR. You're actually going to try to make this point? White had 1202 yards in his 3rd season in the league (without Ryan), and you're seriously going to try to make the case he wasn't an established #1 WR at that point?

Guys like Miles Austin, Vernon Davis, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker , didn't look great their first couple of seasons. But Ryan got Roddy White into his 4th SEASON. I'm calling BS on your point.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a rookie / 2nd year WR. You're actually going to try to make this point? White had 1202 yards in his 3rd season in the league (without Ryan), and you're seriously going to try to make the case he wasn't an established #1 WR at that point?

Guys like Miles Austin, Vernon Davis, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker , didn't look great their first couple of seasons. But Ryan got Roddy White into his 4th SEASON. I'm calling BS on your point.

Ryan has only been spoiled since the 2011 season. He's had White, Jones, and Gonzalez since then, but he has a declining running game since then as well. The difference in what Ryan had compared to Flacco before then is not that different. Flacco had a veteran in Derrick Mason during his first few years. Mason was only 1 season shy of 9 straight 1,000+ yard seasons so it's not like he was no good. After Mason he got Boldin who was another great veteran receiver for a young QB. He then got Smith which finally gave him a receiver he could stretch the field with. He always and still does though have a great running game.

If anything the Falcons just did a much better job of putting talent around Ryan by getting Gonzalez and Jones the last 3 years, but it was at the cost of their running game and defense. Honestly both clubs probably built correctly around the two of them. Flacco is a much better QB with a strong running game, and Ryan is a much better QB with multiple threats to spread the ball around to.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo flacco had a fluke postseason. he got overpaid and that'll hurt baltimore. ryan is good enough to get a decent payday, but that'll handcuff the falcons to basically be a one and done each january.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
imo flacco had a fluke postseason.

Well he did enough to get the team to a SB the year prior, but Lee Evans dropped the game winner. I'd say Flaccos's postseason resume is pretty spectacular.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Flacco > Matt Ryan.....this is really a no brainer.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did enough to get the team to a SB the year prior, but Lee Evans dropped the game winner. I'd say Flaccos's postseason resume is pretty spectacular.

So is Eli Mannings does that make him a great a QB? Does that erase the fact that his career is filled with subpar seasons? I'm not sure you can take a QB's limited postseason numbers and say that makes them great unless they have the regular season numbers to back it up. Flacco and Manning have both been very streaky passers during the regular season.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Eli Mannings does that make him a great a QB? Does that erase the fact that his career is filled with subpar seasons? I'm not sure you can take a QB's limited postseason numbers and say that makes them great unless they have the regular season numbers to back it up. Flacco and Manning have both been very streaky passers during the regular season.

Flacco's number are pretty consistent, and after 5 years of post season play i think the limited number argument goes out the window.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Gonzalez said on the sports radio show that Matt was not elite. I'm sure that's not saying much, but it seems like something you would avoid talking about in public. If someone directly asks you if he is, just say you think he is. If no one asks you, why bring it up? It sounds like you're blaming him, even if he deserves blame. He might be bitter. Also, it said that he wanted to be traded but he didn't push the issue.

He said that he might come back next year for the last two months, since he is still under contract. I think that if he didn't like it there in Atlanta, he shouldn't of said anything, let them "retire" him and then if he decided to come back he could sign where he wants to. It's what Brett Favre did.

Tony Gonzalez: Falcons QB Matt Ryan not elite; I was open to trade

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to go with Flacco. Won a Super bowl and was named MVP. He was the main reason thy won. Romo has 1 playoff win.

Easy argument.